Life Is Just So Daily

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Me? A Fireman? {fire-person} Not hardly!

So, last night, I almost burned the house down.

Early in the evening, I lit my sweet-smelling candle, and it was on the fireplace mantle.

Time for bed...
So, I went into the living room to blow out the candle & turn out the lights...
Rounded the corner, and saw that the WHOLE candle & jar were on fire.
"Um....Hubby----I need you!"
Hubby: "What is it?"
{I didn't want to freak my son out...}
"I just NEED you."
He entered the room, saw what I saw.
"I need some water! Get me some water!"
Candle = wax & scented oil.
Hot burning oil & water do not mix.
In the moment, I was not thinking that this is the equivalent of a grease or oil fire. I saw flames & thought of water. So what did I do?
I poured water on it. What happened next???? The flames reached the ceiling, the wall was turning was black, and the glass jar exploded. And then, it was over. My 4 foot by 6 inch fire was over.

So y'all----take my advice. Don't pour water on a hot burning candle jar!!!!

Gage of course had rounded the corner by that point & saw the whole thing, and FREAKED OUT. He was crying calling last night "the worst day of [his] life!"

Labels: , ,


At 11:13 AM , Blogger Chris H said...

Ah ya ninny! Glad no one was hurt... sad that Gage got a fright... but it will have taught him the danger of fire if nothing else! Even though it wasn't HIS FAULT... ya ninny!

At 11:47 AM , Blogger NYC Girl said...

Scary! That's why I don't have any scent candles in my house. Glad no one was hurt.

At 1:58 PM , Blogger Aubs said...

wow....crazy! i totally would have done the same thing. glad you were able to control it...a house fire is one of my biggest fears!

At 2:17 PM , Blogger Chris & Leslie said...

How did you finally put it out? After you tried the water, that is......?

At 3:52 PM , Blogger Zephra said...

Admit it, You are just looking for reasons to buy a new house.

At 4:13 PM , Blogger Shoeaddict said...

I have to admit that I'd do the same thing. I didn't think about the oils. Now I will.

Poor Gagie :(

At 5:14 PM , Blogger Judy said...

Girl, what IS this? Holes in roofs, car woes, now you're burning down the house?

At 8:37 PM , Anonymous misguided mommy said...

i nearly catch the house on fire weekly. i don't remember the last one but it was bad. i'm more prone to smoking the place spilling stuff in the oven and having it heat up and smoking shit up. and a couple times the fire department came because our fire alarm is attached to our alarm.


At 8:04 AM , Blogger Lainey-Paney said...


had one last month in the rental car. had one this month in MY car.

Life is suckin' right now.

At 11:58 AM , Blogger Just Jiff said...

DANG! What made it do that??

At 10:03 AM , Blogger Christy said...

Shit, you can't catch a break!


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home