Life Is Just So Daily

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Me? A Fireman? {fire-person} Not hardly!

So, last night, I almost burned the house down.

Early in the evening, I lit my sweet-smelling candle, and it was on the fireplace mantle.

Time for bed...
So, I went into the living room to blow out the candle & turn out the lights...
Rounded the corner, and saw that the WHOLE candle & jar were on fire.
"Um....Hubby----I need you!"
Hubby: "What is it?"
{I didn't want to freak my son out...}
"I just NEED you."
He entered the room, saw what I saw.
"I need some water! Get me some water!"
WHAT WAS I THINKING?
Candle = wax & scented oil.
Hot burning oil & water do not mix.
In the moment, I was not thinking that this is the equivalent of a grease or oil fire. I saw flames & thought of water. So what did I do?
I poured water on it. What happened next???? The flames reached the ceiling, the wall was turning was black, and the glass jar exploded. And then, it was over. My 4 foot by 6 inch fire was over.

So y'all----take my advice. Don't pour water on a hot burning candle jar!!!!

Gage of course had rounded the corner by that point & saw the whole thing, and FREAKED OUT. He was crying calling last night "the worst day of [his] life!"
Oh.the.drama.

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

At 11:13 AM , Blogger Chris H said...

Ah ya ninny! Glad no one was hurt... sad that Gage got a fright... but it will have taught him the danger of fire if nothing else! Even though it wasn't HIS FAULT... ya ninny!

 
At 11:47 AM , Blogger NYC Girl said...

Scary! That's why I don't have any scent candles in my house. Glad no one was hurt.

 
At 1:58 PM , Blogger Aubs said...

wow....crazy! i totally would have done the same thing. glad you were able to control it...a house fire is one of my biggest fears!

 
At 2:17 PM , Blogger Chris & Leslie said...

How did you finally put it out? After you tried the water, that is......?

 
At 3:52 PM , Blogger Zephra said...

Admit it, You are just looking for reasons to buy a new house.

 
At 4:13 PM , Blogger Shoeaddict said...

I have to admit that I'd do the same thing. I didn't think about the oils. Now I will.

Poor Gagie :(

 
At 5:14 PM , Blogger Judy said...

Girl, what IS this? Holes in roofs, car woes, now you're burning down the house?

 
At 8:37 PM , Anonymous misguided mommy said...

i nearly catch the house on fire weekly. i don't remember the last one but it was bad. i'm more prone to smoking the place out...like spilling stuff in the oven and having it heat up and smoking shit up. and a couple times the fire department came because our fire alarm is attached to our alarm.

sigh

 
At 8:04 AM , Blogger Lainey-Paney said...

Judy------
I HAD A FLAT TIRE THIS MORNING!

had one last month in the rental car. had one this month in MY car.

Life is suckin' right now.

 
At 11:58 AM , Blogger Just Jiff said...

DANG! What made it do that??

 
At 10:03 AM , Blogger Christy said...

Shit, you can't catch a break!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home