Life Is Just So Daily

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Death by Nickel & Dime.

I can see the headlines now...

Dallas Woman Found Dead in School Parking Lot!
A Dallas woman was found under a pile of requests for $$. Apparently the woman was inundated with requests for $$ for various things from her son's school, and the woman crumpled under the weight of the requests...

Yes, that will be me.
Death by Nickel & Dime.

I blame the Book Fair.
I blame Schlastic.
I blame the fundraisers!

...which brings me to another series of thoughts: The Fundraiser. You want me to peddle this CRAP to people I actually know and love? There isn't even anything in there that I would buy! I can't ask people who KNOW me to buy this crap. $8 for a roll of wrapping paper? Really? If I pay $8 for a roll of wrapping paper--NEWSFLASH: that WILL be the gift. {"Oh, thanks...you got me a couple rolls of wrapping paper for my birthday...that's...different..."}
And THEN----say I actually sell this junk to people...I have to then pick it all up & distribute it???
I've got a better idea: why don't you just TELL me how much extra $$ you want, and for what purpose. I'll whip out my checkbook, and we can just cut the crap, and cut out the middle man. Mmmmkay?
ORRRRR----raise tuition by 5 bucks, and don't bother me with your peddle-this-crap fundraisers. Sound good?

Next year: I'm going to hand Gage's teacher a $20 bill on day one of school, and say, "Here's $20. You can buy supplies. You can donate it to the school. You can put it in your pocket & spend it at the liquor store. I don't care. But---it comes with ONE REQUEST: come fundraiser time---you skip Gage's folder when you're sending those little brochures home. Capiche?" That's right---I'll PAY the next teacher to not send that crap to my house.

...the book fair....
When I was little: the book fair came but once a year. If you missed it---you missed it.
Now, they send home these little magazines to order from Scholastic. I poured over that thing. If I engaged Gage in the whole ordering process, he would have wanted one of everything. So, I did it... Then, the same day that the books came in---they send home another magazine full of completely different books! And, a newsletter & magazine with yet ANOTHER set of books that will be available for purchase at the book fair.

I got news: you're killin' me!

But----alas, we did the book fair thing this morning. Gage had six 1-dollar-bills. He carefully selected his book, priced at $4.99, and had enough money to cover it. It was a tough selecting process, but I was very proud of him. And of course, after checking him into his classroom this morning---I returned to the book fair & bought all of the books that he wanted to buy but didn't have enough $$ for... I am happy to report that those are already wrapped in holiday wrapping & ready to go under the tree! {yes, I'm ahead of the game, FINALLY!....Hubby's even got 2-3 gifts with his name on them...I've got 'em wrapped & ready to go!}

I really need to get some house work done today, so for now I must sign off.
Happy Veteran's Day!
P.S. Gage wants an I-Phone for Christmas.
{yeah, buddy, me too.}

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

At 10:53 AM , Blogger Amy said...

I hate to say it, but it doesn't stop...ever...it gets worse. I figured i'll be fundraising for my girls until they have their own careers!

Amy

 
At 1:28 PM , Blogger lisa said...

Wow! And I thought I was starting early . . . but then again I've only bought presents for me!

 
At 5:04 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I know exactly how you feel, I just wrote a similar post about being hit up for cash at every corner. It's totally frustrating! P.S. My daughter (who is 4) wants a laptop, so an iPhone actually sounds like a steal right about now!

 
At 7:14 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, we get hit up at every turn for fundraisers and causes. . .we have a fundraising campaign at work multiple times a year. That's scary - I think they don't pay me enough and here they are asking me to give back a portion of my paycheck! Unbelievable.

 
At 10:54 PM , Blogger Papa Bradstein said...

LOL. I feel your pain...and this is just preschool. 3B's school does do fundraisers, but they take away most of the guilt by having us all contribute some money at the beginning of the year to a classroom fund, specifically for his room. We all know that teachers pay out of their own pockets for supplies, so I don't feel too bad about paying this, but as you said, why not just raise tuition by that amount?

 
At 1:19 PM , Blogger mpotter said...

in defense of that wrapping paper, i bought one roll 7 years ago. and it is awesome! it's spongebob-themed, so i don't use it often, that's why it's lasted.
but it was a HUGE roll. very thick. easy to cut. and has those lines to help you cut straight.

but yeah- i agree some schools do too much.
when i grew up, my parents did none of the selling. it was up to me. band fruit anyone??
but that was back in the day when we could go door-to-door.

now there's just TOO much.
good luck.

 
At 2:38 PM , Blogger Just Jiff said...

OMG! I could've written this very post. My stepson gets that crap sent home too. Luckily for me, I just pass it along to his egg donor and make her deal with it. I purchased books ONCE...and was so disappointed that I will probably not order any more. I just buy them online.

I want an iphone too. :)

 
At 10:02 PM , Anonymous Surrogacy said...

Great Post.....

I found your site on stumbleupon and read a few of your other posts. Keep up the good work. I just added your RSS feed to my Google News Reader. Looking forward to reading more from you down the road!

Thanks for sharing....

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home