Life Is Just So Daily

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Cleaning....



So....today's cleaning tip & product review....brought to you by Lainey-Paney.

Easy Off oven cleaner... bought a can of this. We have a KitchenAid Self-Cleaning Convection Oven. My husband loves it. I barely know how to use it, and for the life of me have still not figured out the steps to use the digital timer without setting the damn thing to cook for hours & hours.
Anyway....so the self-cleaning feature....yeah, I tried that. I don't know, but it was probaby human error for whatever reason it did not work properly. So, it just seemed to me that it would be easier to get a can of Easy Off & clean the darn thing.
Get my can, get it home, take the lid off....read the directions.
WARNING: NOT FOR USE ON CONVECTION OVENS.
Ugh.

So....here's where a good use for Easy Off comes in...
If you cook in pyrex baking dishes...you know how they can get all caked-on-baked-on gross? Spray it with Easy Off---let it sit in the sink for a little bit---and the cruddy gunk will just wipe right off & you'll have brand new looking sparkly clean Pyrex again.

And now for the big product review...
Disposer Cleaner packets...
Got them at Target. You run the disposal to make sure it's empty. You run hot water in the sink & then turn the flow down to a trickle. You put one of the little yellow "biodegradable" packets in your disposal & turn it on. Blue bubbles filled both sinks (we have a double sink). It smelled all lemony & good....and afterward, my sinks looked all sparkly new. So that was good.
:)
My only questions...which I don't know the answer to---what's in it/how bad are the chemicals for the environment, and is it any more effective than lemon peel & baking soda? I don't know.

But, it was quick & easy, and made me feel like I was doing something around the house, you know???

:)
Look at me! I'm suddenly a domestic diva!

10 Comments:

At 11:57 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, you're definitely smarter than I am because I wouldn't have bothered to read the directions and would have totally ruined the oven.

 
At 2:28 PM , Blogger Beth said...

Hey, I like that Easy Off trick for cleaning yucky baking dishes. I was soaking them with dishwasher detergent.
Keep passing along those tips, diva!

 
At 3:14 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the cleaning tips. I need to try the Easy Off thing. I also have some of those disposal things that I've been too lazy to try. I'll have to dig them out and try one. The promise of bubbles coming out of both sides is a little bit of an incentive for me. Am I 8 years old?

Thanks for your comments on my blog and the one you left on Rach's blog. Its nice to know someone else in my boat. (I'm a bad rower by the way and not big on sailboats, so let's call it a speed boat or a pontoon or something.)

 
At 3:50 PM , Blogger Shauna Loves Chocolate said...

I love Pyrex. Thanks for the tip!

I'm with Tara. I would have skipped the directions, too.

 
At 4:14 PM , Blogger Christy said...

I am impressed with all your cleaning skills. Personally, I only clean when John starts nagging.

 
At 5:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent.

Too bad I don't clean.

 
At 7:02 PM , Blogger Zephra said...

I wish they would come up with something for drains with no disposal. Sometimes my drains just stink.

 
At 7:47 AM , Blogger CBM said...

zephra, I had the stinky drain problem in my old house with no disposal, and I found that pouring in a little bleach from time to time would cut the odor pretty effectively. I wonder if vinegar would do just as good; it's certainly healthier to breathe!

B, I am trying to eliminate chemicals in our lives. I think all of those cleaning products are toxic and have a cumulative effect on our bodies, especially the little bitty people we love so much. I'd stick with the vinegar, baking soda, lemon kind of treatments if they work well enough! Ava got a HUGE kick out of cleaning the bathtub with baking soda and vinegar last week b/c it's foams up and sizzles. She begged to clean the bathtub again for several days after that!

 
At 7:58 AM , Blogger Lainey-Paney said...

cbm:

okay....so I just saw on that show, "How Clean is your House" (on BBC)...they cleaned a bathtub using salt & scrubbed with grapefruit halves.
So...of course I had to run out & buy grapefruit for this...I have yet to do it, but I certainly plan to!

Anyway...I'll let you know how it works. On the show, it was AWESOME.

 
At 9:01 AM , Blogger Pregnantly Plump said...

I've never heard of that Easy off trick. That's great! I've been debating getting a disposal cleaner, because we usually use white vinegar or lemon juice and the vinegar doesn't smell all clean and fresh.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home