Life Is Just So Daily

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

EeeeeeeeGads!

So...spoke with the nurse this morning at 9:40. He was crabby. Had a low-grade fever. Had the puffy lips. Tongue: fine. Mouth: fine.

Got an 11:10 appointment.

By 11:10, he had sores on his bottom lip.
He had sores & spots all over his tongue.
He had sores all in his mouth that looked like mini-mountain-ranges along his cheeks where his gums met his cheeks. Top, bottom, middle---you name it, it had a sore on it. Gums: red, puffy.

Gross.

When the swelling first started, we thought: allergic reaction.
To what?
You scour the list of "what's new?" The only thing different in his world is orajel. But, I think he had it back when he was getting his first teeth....
So, we were thinking, "could he be allergic to orajel?"

Then the nurse on the phone said that during teething, the saliva changes, and he could be having a reaction to his own saliva.
"Oh, great. I WOULD get the kid who is allergic to his own spit!"
But, turns out, that's not the case.

He's got a raging case of Coxsackie Virus.
Gross. And, the doctor said it looks like he's got some A29 strain of the virus b/c of the onset of symptoms & the sores presenting today....blah, blah, blah. Looks like this could last a week is what all that boils down to.

The doctor scraped his tongue depressor along Gage's tongue & these sores just busted open & stuff went everywhere & his little tongue started bleeding. Oh, it was so gross.

The good news: it's just a virus.
The bad news: because it's a virus, there's really nothing to do about it.
The worst news: it's going to get worse before it gets better.
But, as long as he's making wet diapers, no worries, let the virus run the course.
Lovely.

Meanwhile: I feel dirty. I feel like Gage is dirty. The pediatrician told me not to feel dirty. Certainly wipe anything that may come into contact with his saliva, but that we can all encounter a virus at any time...yada, yada, yada.

And...it's contagious. I have to keep him away from other kids so that he doesn't give it to them.... No playing with Aubri...no playgrounds....nada until these go away and he's been fever-free for over 24 hours.
Great.

He's so pitiful being sick.
"I jus sick."
"I don't feel well."
"I'na jus rest a while."
I ask him if he wants to play in the backyard..."No, I jus sick. I jus gonna stay on the couch."
You know this child is sick if he's refusing to play outside.

But...he was WONDERFUL at the doctor's office, for a change.
Perhaps it was the bribery.... whatever, it worked! After the dr's office, I took him to the grocery store to pick out popsicles & a "prize car." He chose a blue car, and we were on our way. When we got home, he wanted some "real cheese" (grated cheese), so I put a little bit in a bowl for him....but then he was immediately in tears telling me that the cheese hurt his mouth. Since Sunday, he's eaten about 3 tablespoons of jell-o, and now about 1/2 cup of dry Trix cereal. Which...kind of surprised me. Grated cheese hurts his mouth, but the dry Trix cereal was okay? Weird. But, whatever. if he told me he wanted a lasagna right now, I'd cook it just to get him to eat anything!!!!

So...we're stuck at home for the next few days.
Yuckola.
Poor kid.

Labels:

22 Comments:

At 2:04 PM , Blogger Hester 5 said...

OH GOODNESS!!! I had wondered why you weren't blogging much the last couple of days! I told you, I check it often! =) I am so sorry that Gage is not feeling well and is (for lack of a better word) icky! It is just so draining to take care of an ailing toddler...mine is cutting 2 year molars too!

 
At 2:39 PM , Blogger Nada said...

I hope poor little gage feels better soon. I think it sucks to be sick as an adult, but as a kid, it is ten times worse. Good luck and hang in there.

 
At 3:07 PM , Blogger Judy said...

Do not feel dirty - I know those words so well! I pray you don't go through the lice epidemic we had last summer, but really, there's nothing you can do but treat stuff like this and move on. It happens to the best of us. Take it as a sign that your kiddo is active and social and into everything (and that is usually a good thing...not so much when the icky viruses are around, but usually a good thing!).

I'm glad you got some answers and are armed with information and know what you're dealing with!

 
At 3:08 PM , Blogger Aunt Becky said...

Poor dude. Hope that he feels better soon.

 
At 3:31 PM , Blogger Zephra said...

Oh nooooo. Well, if you have to get sick, you might as well get an interesting virus. I hope he heals fast.

 
At 4:25 PM , Blogger Burgh Baby said...

At least you were able to get an answer. Better to know what you're battling than to be left in the dark, after all.

I hope he's feeling better real soon!

 
At 5:07 PM , Blogger Sarah Lynn said...

Awww I hope your little guy feels better soon.

 
At 5:21 PM , Blogger Dana said...

I have never heard of that virus. Did they tell you the cause of it? Dawson always has his hands in his mouth...i'm surprised he hasn't caught a virus....boys!!!

 
At 5:32 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor Gage! That must be just awful. I hope he feels better soon.

 
At 5:42 PM , Blogger Christy said...

Goodness! I hope he is feeling better soon. Poor little guy.

 
At 6:29 PM , Blogger Love said...

poor gage! my nephews had hand, foot, mouth and my poor husband ending up getting it. he said it HURT! gage may love some rotating tylenol and motrin if he's allowed to have them. = )
wonderful things HAVE to be coming your way...they just have to.

 
At 7:00 PM , Blogger Pregnantly Plump said...

Poor little Gage! That sounds so awful and painful. I hope that it doesn't take a full week to run it's course.

 
At 7:21 PM , Blogger Shoeaddict said...

Here's hoping Gage gets better!

 
At 7:22 PM , Blogger Shoeaddict said...

I mean gets better soon. I know he'll get better. Sorry!!

 
At 8:15 PM , Blogger Laura said...

Eeeeeeee Gads is right. HUGS to the little man..from a distance...and hugs to you.

 
At 2:08 AM , Blogger kim-d said...

Awww..."I jus sick"...that's so sad! And watching him go through all of this is no picnic, either. Poor kid!

I will admit, though, I did have to chuckle when I came to the part about making him lasagna if he'd eat it :). I know exactly what you're talking about; I've been at that point myself!

Hoping that the virus runs its course QUICKLY so Gage can get back to being Gage instead of "jus sick" (awww...). You take care, too!

 
At 7:31 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sorry Gage is sick. Have you tried a chocolate milkshake? That's about the only thing I can get into Jacob when he's sick.

 
At 9:26 AM , Blogger Mojavi said...

omg the poor baby!!!!!! THAT HAS TO BE THE WORST!

 
At 12:50 PM , Blogger A. Nonny Mouse said...

Poor Gage! I'm so sorry he's sick. That STINKS!

I hope he feels better soon!

 
At 1:57 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

poor baby boy...I hope it leaves as quickly as it came!

 
At 9:29 AM , Blogger Elaine said...

sorry...computer troubles again, so i am just reading this now. POOR BABY! And poor you. Hope it's getting better now.

 
At 5:10 PM , Blogger Papa Bradstein said...

OK, I'm catching up, so I'll start by saying that I'm glad to see from later posts that he's doing better. And yeah, that asking to be inside thing is weird. 3B did it for the first time the other day when it was sort of gray and dreary out. I didn't think the weather was too bad for a walk. Apparently I was wrong, because for the first time I heard, "Want to go inside."

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home