Life Is Just So Daily

Monday, October 15, 2007

October 15th...

Today is Pregnancy & Infant Loss Rememberance Day.




October is Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Month, as proclaimed by Former President Ronald Reagan in 1988. Officially recognized in the United States in 2006, October 15th of every year is National Pregnancy & Infant Loss and Remembrance Day, a special day to honor and acknowledge babies lost to miscarriage, stillbirth, ectopic pregnancy, prematurity complications, neonatal death, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome-SIDS, illness, accidents, and other tragic causes. Pink and Light Blue are the awareness colors.

It's not as if I need a day or a reason to miss Masyn.
Some days are... some days are the same. The same as they've been. A mom, a dad, a baby. And then some days...or at different times of any given day, I am very aware of the fact that I was supposed to be pregnant right now. I would be showing. I would be wearing maternity clothes, and tired, and moody...and that's just how it should be. I would know now if I was having a boy or a girl. I would be painting a nursery (okay...maybe not yet....but I would certainly be dreaming up the perfect nursery!) For those that know me---I'd be shopping. That is for sure. I would be trying out the perfect double strollers. There is so much that I would be doing.
There are times that I feel like a family member is missing, and yet, it's a family member that I never saw. I never saw my baby. My baby was so tiny when it died. Masyn never cried, or smiled...

Anyway.... It's October 15th. And, I'm missing my baby. My "what might have been" baby. I know that I'm not alone today...

I am wearing a pair of shoes.
They are ugly shoes.
Uncomfortable shoes.
I hate my shoes.
Each day I wear them, and each day I wish I had another pair.
Some days my shoes hurt so bad that I do not think I can take another step.
Yet, I continue to wear them.
I get funny looks wearing these shoes.
They are looks of sympathy.
I can tell in others eyes that they are glad they are my shoes and not theirs.
They never talk about my shoes.
To learn how awful my shoes are might make them uncomfortable.
To truly understand these shoes you must walk in them.
But, once you put them on, you can never take them off.
I now realize that I am not the only one who wears these shoes.
There are many pairs in this world.
Some woman are like me and ache daily as they try and walk in them.
Some have learned how to walk in them so they don't hurt quite as much.
Some have worn the shoes so long that days will go by before they think
about how much they hurt.
No woman deserves to wear these shoes.
Yet, because of these shoes I am a stronger woman.
These shoes have given me the strength to face anything.
They have made me who I am.
I will forever walk in the shoes of a woman who has lost a child.

Author unknown

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

At 11:55 AM , Blogger mpotter said...

best wishes!

i have "enjoyed" reading your perspectives on this sad event.

several of my sisters have had miscarriages, and one sister lost a child after a week of living on life support.

i know it's not easy.
hopefully you have a lot of support from your fam & friends.

 
At 12:23 PM , Blogger Pregnantly Plump said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I think it's great that we have a day dedicated to parents. I wish there was something more that I could do or say. You and your family are in my prayers

 
At 1:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful poen for such a special day. To honor this day, this month and Masyn I went back to my blog and changed its colors.

I'm with you in spirit and I wish I could give you a BIG HUG today!

You help many by sharing this story. Remember that.

 
At 1:52 PM , Blogger Elaine said...

Hang in there. It's nice to have a day to recognize, even though you do think of your baby each and every day.

 
At 4:40 PM , Blogger Heidi said...

That is a beautiful poem. My thoughts are with you.

 
At 8:27 PM , Blogger Kate said...

I am so sorry for your loss.

 
At 8:48 PM , Blogger Vampdaddy said...

Thanks for sharing this...I can only imagine (and often have).

Thinking of you!

VD

 
At 3:59 AM , Blogger Angel said...

I'm so sorry for the loss of your baby. I've never lost a baby, but my sister-in-law has lost a number of pregnancies...and it's heart wrenching.

prayers to you

 
At 6:00 AM , Blogger Beth said...

How wonderful to have a day to honor parents and their babies. So supportive.

(I think of you on other days, as well - and wonder how you're doing.)

 
At 7:11 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thoughts and prayers. xoxo

 
At 11:17 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, you are *not* alone....

 
At 11:23 AM , Blogger Heather said...

Many hugs to you.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home