Life Is Just So Daily

Saturday, October 13, 2007

6:41 AM, and all is NOT well.

It's 6:41 as I type this....on a Saturday morning.
All is not well at the Casa de Lainey-Paney.

Something was decided this week...without really any input from me. It was just...decided. My MIL, who I normally adore, love, & would be up a creek without....well, she watches Gage during the week while I work. She decided this week that hard spouted sippy cups are better than the soft spouted sippy cups, and therefore, he's going cold turkey on the soft spout, and she has "done away with" all the soft spouts.

I didn't really argue. I didn't say anything to her.

On one hand---I've never heard that the hard spouts are any better for kids.
And, her reasoning is that she thinks Gage's teeth are going to be misshapen.

Now----do I want my kid toting a sippy when he goes of to Kindergarten? No.
Do I think we need to wean him off the sippy entirely? Yes, at some point.
He just turned 2 freaking years old. I think he's a little young to be done w/ sippys (spout or straw sippers) entirely....

So....he's had a veeeeeeeeeeeeeeery rough transition

PAUSE

Okay, Gage just came to me & said, "want water." We went to the kitchen. He wanted it out of a regular plastic cup. No sippy to it. Maybe he's a bit more on board w/ this than I thought.

Okay...right or wrong, he gets a sippy of milk before bed. Don't judge me, mmm'kay?
That's just the way it is.

So, my question is: what is the damn difference if that sippy has a soft spout or a hard spout?
And-----maybe the goal should be that all day, he gets a regular cup, no sippy at all, and only gets the sippy before bed?
And yes-----we brush his teeth a bajillion times a day b/c he is obsessed with having it done. I have the random child that LOOOOOOOOVES for his teeth to be brushed.

WHAT THE HELL? Gage just poured his water out on me, and now he's freaking out because "it's gone, it's gone"...........do you think he's grown up enough to understand about absorbency with various fabrics?

I'm so tired. I just want to sleep. We've been up since 4:30. That's when the fit started. At close to 5, he came to bed to snuggle with me. At 5:30 he wanted "Gage's bed go night-night", & then around 6 he was finally successful at convincing me that he didn't intend to return to sleep.

and, as we suspected....he's hungry. He's eaten a whole bowl of cheerios & now 1/2 a banana.

I'm just kind of frustrated..........and sleepy.

Labels:

12 Comments:

At 7:37 AM , Blogger Beth said...

Never mind sippy cups - I was still giving my kids one of those small bottles when they wanted one at age two. A comfort thing.
And their teeth are fine!

 
At 8:44 AM , Blogger Christy said...

Shit, I am going to giving Porgie a sippy cup until she is 12 years old. I would just give him whatever YOU feel comfortable with. Explain to your MIL that Gage is having a difficult time with the transition, and suggest starting at a later date.

 
At 11:19 AM , Blogger Angel said...

wow....I hopw I'm not THAT kind of MIL to my kids' spouses....he's YOUR kid!!

And what's the difference...hard or soft sippy? who cares?! He's two!!! My kid still had a BOTTLE AND a binky...till he was 3! And he's fine...a nice young man, gets good grades, plays football...a good kid.

I think Gage will be good to go, regardless of a hard or soft sippy...but at this point, it's all about the sleep. Do whatever works for YOU!!

 
At 11:32 AM , Blogger Judy said...

Both my boys take water to bed (ages 8 and almost 3) in sport bottles. They're really good about leaving them beside the bed (the younger one does it because the older one does). The 8 year old didn't completely give up sippies at bedtime until 4. He was using straw cups and regular cups from about 2 on, but for going to sleep, he always needed his water and would take a sippy because they rarely leak.

That being said, we never really used sippy cups with #2. (no bottle either, but we won't go there) He used pop-up straw cups. My nephew has Down Syndrome and his OT used straw cups with him to strengthen the muscles around his mouth...never a sippy cup. So, maybe try some of those pop up straw cups?

Regardless, it is YOUR choice and YOUR decision. Now, if MIL wants him to use a regular cup on her watch, more power to her. You do what YOU feel is right, though.

 
At 12:00 PM , Blogger Em said...

Give him what every you like, MIL's are great, mine is but sometimes they dont always know best!

 
At 2:37 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ummm, buy some more sippy cups that Gage likes. You are his mom do what you want. I'm sure your MIL had good intentions but if Gage still wants the sippy cups (i didn't know there were hard or soft) let him have it. Hell I'll take a sippy cup now just for fun.

 
At 10:11 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you could comprimise? When Jacob moved into the 2 year old class at daycare, they did away with sippy cups & started using regular cups. So, now he uses regular cups at mealtime, but sippy cups if he's in another part of the house, and for in the car. Maybe your MIL could agree to something like that?

 
At 9:39 AM , Blogger Zephra said...

Zakary turned 3 yesterday ans he still likes his sippy cut before bed.

 
At 10:20 AM , Blogger Jen said...

GAH! There's such a thing as soft sippies and hard sippies? Oh lord WTF is the difference? Give him whatever makes him happy. Seriously- you know to choose your battles- this need not be one of them in my opinion. Defo not life and death. Wonder what brought it on with the MIL tho?

 
At 10:25 AM , Blogger Stephanie said...

I think him having a sippy cup is very normal. He is only 2 like you said. Now, when a child is 5 and still uses a sippy cup and relies on that to go to sleep at night...there might be a problem (and I am speaking about a personal experience, not about any blogging moms out there).

 
At 5:00 PM , Blogger Shauna Loves Chocolate said...

It's so hard to balance being grateful and wanting to be THE PARENT and make these decisions yourself. *sigh* I am so with you on this one.

 
At 9:41 AM , Blogger Sarahviz said...

No sippy cup will equal LOTS of spillage with a 2yr old. I know this from experience.

When Baby got evaluated for speech, the therapist recommended only STRAW sippy cups.

That's what we use.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home