Life Is Just So Daily

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Studio 707

So... when Damon & I met, this is the building where I lived:

The Kirby in downtown Dallas

And here was my apartment:

Except...in my unit, the closet door was on the main entrance side...so it was a little different, but similar to that.

Regretfully, I can hardly find any pictures of that little apartment. (off the top of my head, I can't think of any!)
And, I do mean LITTLE.
It was between 600 & 700 square feet, and I'm sure it was closer to 600!
But, you know what? It was the perfect size for me then.
I could lay in bed & watch TV...the ONE & ONLY TV that I had for the whole apartment & that was fine...b/c as long as you weren't in the closet or bathroom, you could see THE WHOLE apartment!

And...Megan lived there too on the 3rd floor. She lived there before I moved in, and she lived there longer than me....

Anyway...My friend, Nicole, is moving back from London & has asked me to help her & her fiance, find a place to live in downtown...and it just got me to thinking about some of the different places where I've lived...

When I lived at the Kirby....Campisi's was across the street (before they moved to the new location), and I could run across the street & get pasta or pizza for lunch. (I didn't go into work until 3:30pm back then...) And, then there was a pizza place right across from Campisi's...I can't remember the name, but they sold Orangina, which I LOVE.
Another thing that rocked: on-site storage units in the basement. That was awesome...and after I left, Megan put my storage unit on her rent...I paid her...and then would go there occasionally until I finally moved all of my crap out of there. Stuff that you don't need every day...or every 6 months...but you refuse to just toss it. Yeah, I had a whole bunch of that...

What I hated: waiting on the slow-ass elevator for the parking garage.
I hated going to the basement storage by myself. Creepy down there. But,I was glad to have the actual storage space...I just always wanted someone to go with me!

I also hated not having laundry in my unit. I had to go to the 3rd or 4th floor for that...I don't remember which...

I loved the view I had overlooking Main Street. I loved to open the windows & just look down & around at all of the activity. I love the smell of the building. I loved the wooden floors & marble hallways. I loved the glass & wood doors with brass letter slots. I loved the old doorknobs. I loved the roof-top pool & the neat stairways...

I freaking love old buildings. I do.

It was just an exciting time. It was my first time to live alone...with my perfect little furniture, and clear glass dishes.

Okay...enough reminiscing....

8 Comments:

At 11:11 AM , Blogger Em said...

reminicing is great, everything always seems so perfect they way you remember it!

 
At 1:14 PM , Blogger Love said...

thanks for stopping by! i LOVE your 80's post and i miss all of those, too...even the jelly shoes. my sister and i rocked every color of the jelly shoes! ;)

 
At 2:02 PM , Blogger Mojavi said...

You got me thinking of the apartment I had in Philly while going to art school... all the buildings had these amazing wood floors. I really didn't appreciate then just how cool that apartment was!

 
At 2:03 PM , Blogger Mojavi said...

btw- I saw jelly shoes for sale at TARGET! the 80's are def back! YIKES

 
At 4:39 PM , Blogger lady macleod said...

very nice memory tour, thank you for taking us along.

 
At 6:07 PM , Blogger Zephra said...

I never saw that building down town but if it is not on the train route I wouldn't. Down town scares me. Or maybe it is the weird people on the train. We should get together for lunch one day.

 
At 7:12 PM , Blogger Heidi said...

I love old buildings also. When I lived in Boston I lived in an old apartment building and my apartment was the only one with a window on the east side of the building. Very strange.
To refer back to an older post. I saw my first live EMO person last night and I thought of you. She was the cashier at Wal-Mart. She had the whole business going on. Black clothes, black lace arm length gloves, black eye liner with red shadow all around. I couldn't see any scars but they could have been covered by the gloves. She did however look like she hadn't eaten in a few years. I was scared for her. At least she was seemingly trying to be a productive member of society in that she had a job.

 
At 7:35 PM , Blogger Beck said...

Ack! That building is gorgeous! That apartment is tiny - but so bachelor-girl perfect! So fun.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home