Life Is Just So Daily

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Some things I miss from the 80s...

Punky Brewster coming on in the afternoon after school...

"I've got...Punky Power!"

Eighties music...oh, too many songs to name.

But might I just mention....Walk Like An Egyptian?? Who doesn't MISS that?


Barbie...

Ok...not that Barbie doesn't exist today...it's just that, my 80s were filled with Barbie dolls, Barbie coloring books, Barbie shoes, etc. Speaking of Barbie shoes....why is it that I could always & forever only find ONE? ONE. It was seriously like a constant game of MEMORY [remember that game??] just to find two matching Barbie shoes...

The Sylvanian Family:

Okay, so this was a toy that apparently most little girls didn't have...not that I'm trying to be all hoity-toity snobby. I think most little girls didn't have it b/c it wasn't that popular. Anyway...I had this little Sylvanian dollhouse & two families: the bear family...and some other family that looked like moles, or rats or something. But...in a cute, sylvanian way.

The Lite Brite.
Loved it. Always lost the little pegs.


Garbage Pail Kids.
OMG! I can remember riding my bike to a nearby store with my sister to buy these.
I thought they were sooooooooo cool.


PacMan....yup. That rocked.


Which....really kind of leads me to this:

Atari.
Yeah...we had one. I sucked at it, but whatever. Had that until the Nintendo came out.

Something I DON'T MISS from the 80s:

Jelly shoes.



Okay...that's it for my randmom little trip down memory lane....

11 Comments:

At 7:18 AM , Blogger misguidedmommy said...

K first how could you leave out Tiffany Running just as fast as we can now from the songs.
second I HEART BARBIE! Barbies these days are just so weird with bendy arms and legs and odd hair...and dammit if i'm still finding barbie shoes in my old bedroom.
third man i always wanted a lite bright and didn't get one woe is me.
and OMG garbage pail kids. i had every one of them stuck to wax paper in number order and then tacked up onto my wall.
atari was all about burger time and astro smash woohoo.

anyway i was in target the other day and this lady was standing in the dollar section laughing her ass off so hard i had to see why. i got closer and she was trying on jelly shoes. she was laughing so hard saying she wanted to buy them just to wear out with her friends that night because they were so terrible but everyone would laugh...all I could think was OH SHIT THEY ARE SELLING JELLY SHOES AGAIN!

 
At 8:06 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard Walk Like An Egyptian on the radio yesterday...the boys didn't think it was as cool as I did :-)

 
At 12:50 PM , Blogger Stephanie said...

Target has jellys in their dollar section! People are going nuts over them.

I loved Punky and remember oh so well all that you did. Great post!

 
At 6:43 PM , Blogger Christy said...

I am a total jackass. I left a comment on your last post, which was intented for this post. Have I mentioned that I don't have a brain?

 
At 9:38 PM , Blogger Cate said...

Isn't 80's music the best? It's just so good for some reason!

Garbage Pail Kids...I had forgotten about them!

Carlos and I actually bought an Atari system with 54 games off eBay a few years ago for fun. The whole bundle was $40CDN, and every once in a while we take it out and laugh our asses off playing it. Awesome stress relief!

 
At 12:39 AM , Blogger Pregnantly Plump said...

I was also going to tell you that I saw Jellies in a store this afternoon. I just remember how much those things made my feet sweaty and stinky. I did like the jelly bracelets though.

 
At 7:25 AM , Blogger Zephra said...

I wanted a pair of jelly shoes so bad I could taste it. But when I finally got them, I hated them. They hurt your feet and were hot.

Oh yea, and I loved GPK. I had all the cards.

 
At 10:32 AM , Blogger Ginger said...

Sylvanian Families! I have several sets and several different accessories and a tree house and the old big house. I LOVED them. My first set was a brown bunny family. The mother's name was Ginger...can you guess why mom got it for me! :) I think they are more popular in other countries. I read a blog written by a woman who lives in Canada and she just bought some for her girls not long ago. That made me go look them up. I would love to buy more one day for my future kids. The only place I could find to buy them was a UK website. I remember playing "Barbies" out in the other house for hours! Oh to be a kid again!

 
At 5:15 PM , Blogger Heidi said...

I was older than you in the eighties but it was my favorite decade! I went through so many changes during that time. Junior High to High School, normal teenager to bar hopping party girl to alternative death rock punker girl back to regular college girl. I had some of my best and worst times in the eighties. And I still love most of the music. Thanks for the reminisce.

 
At 6:50 AM , Blogger Bea said...

Seriously? Cause jelly shoes are what I miss MOST about the '80s. (I may have to get some crocs just to experience the nostalgia for plastic shoes. And if anyone needs an argument for the superiority of '80s fashion to today, crocs surely must be it.)

 
At 10:11 AM , Blogger Talia said...

I am 27 and still have all of my barbies! I made my grandma put them in storage when mom moved!

I also had the sylvanian family! They are long gone though.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home