Life Is Just So Daily

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Nutrition...

So, I've taken some flack for being somewhat protective of Gage's nutrient intake.

That's okay.
Have we loosened up??? Yes, some.
I mean, twice a day he gets a "Sugar Shot", where I let him lick his finger & stick it in the sugar bowl.
He gets to eat cake. He gets cookies (although he doesn't seem to eat very much of them...I guess he just hasn't found the right one yet...or better yet, we have not GIVEN him the perfect cookie yet...who knows)...

Anyway...Gage's appetite seems to increase & decrease like waves. So, when he is hungry & eating, we try to make sure that healthy food goes in there.

He loves fruits. He's pretty good with some veggies. Broccoli--he can live without.

Corn, he loves. Green Beans, ("Bean-Beans") he loves if there is no corn around. Yogurt, he loves. Morningstar Soy Nuggets, he loves. Berries...bring 'em. He loves them...

He's never been to McDonald's...

And, we think that is a VERY good thing!

Our anti-McDonald's policy with Gage stems from a few things...
1) Did you see that "Super Size Me"???
Come on! That was so disgusting. So gross. And really, it probably would be the same with any fast food place. So, let's just limit or eliminate that. Sure, we get hamburgers or make hamburgers, but all of the fast food is waaaaaaaay in moderation. If we don't feel like cooking, our take-out usually is from Boston Market with veggies & rotisserie chicken...
2) Here locally, a RAT was found in a salad. That was pretty much the nail in the MickyD coffin for us. We have not been to McDonald's in....I don't know how long now!

He's now allowed to have soda. Sprite or 7-up. I mix it with juice...
Baby Mosa = 7-up/Sprite + OJ.
Gage loves his virgin Mimosas...

He is not yet 2, and he has had a french fry. Does he eat them even once a week: NO! He's had french fries maybe 3 or 4 times in his whole life.

We just try to make him eat healthy.
Okay. That's my point.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 9:42 AM , Blogger misguidedmommy said...

i tried so hard with my son to go all organic and so on and be healthy. then my dad introduced krispy kreme, and my mom gave him cake and macaroni and pudding and basically anything she wouldn't let me eat as a child.

 
At 10:27 AM , Blogger Stephanie said...

I don't blame you at all for staying away from McDonald's...that movie scared me. I think his diet is just fine. You can't keep them from everything. And obviously he likes fruits and veggies...what more can you ask for?

 
At 11:19 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are guilty of feeding the boys fast food. We didn't when they were babies, but as they've gotten older and we've gotten busier it's easy to fall into the convenience trap. HOWEVER, I do have the distinction of having the only two children on the face of the earth who HATE french fries. Really. If we get happy meals they'll eat the nuggets or burger but get the apples and milk instead of the coke and fries. At Wendy's they get yogurt and milk. It's a fair compromise, I think...

 
At 4:57 PM , Blogger Zephra said...

That shows you how different parenting styles can be because my kids think Mc donalds is gourmet food...compared with my cooking I guess it is.

 
At 8:59 AM , Blogger Da Mommy said...

Good for you!! Keep doing it as long as you can...eventually they turn into teenagers and eat everything in sight and very little of it can be construed as healthy. McD's is scary...if I go there for anything other than a drink even 3 times a year I consider it too many. They do have the hugo drink for only 89 cents that can sooth thirst in an entire vehicle including two teens so they are not ALLLLLLLLLL bad. just mostly. :-)

 
At 9:34 PM , Blogger Cate said...

Wow...I've never been so scared of Ronald McDonald!!!

I did see "Super Size Me"....and I am now totally afraid of their fries. I mean, what are they made from that they last that long at room temperature without going bad??? What planet are those potatoes from????

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home