Life Is Just So Daily

Friday, April 20, 2007

Chickicide.

So...about 10 feet from where I lay my head at night is a bird's nest.
I sleep indoors, and right outside the door to the patio, there is a nest that had eggs in it...and then last weekend I heard the chip-chirps of little birds. It was so sweet. They would just squeal, and I loved listening to them. Where the nest was built, you couldn't see inside to see how many were in there, but I imagined at least 2, but maybe 3.

Then...on Wednesday afternoon....

I was on the back patio when I noticed a little teeny-tiny, not even covered in real feathers yet baby chick on the ground below. It was dead.
And then later Wednesday night, I found another one.
They were both dead & my patio was quiet.
I was soooo sad.

So, then I started wondering if maybe the mom wasn't very good at building a nest & they fell out...or, maybe she just wasn't prepared for motherhood. Mom & I were talking about this, because clearly I found it disturbing. So, we decided that the birds were pushed out of the nest by the mother: it was chick-i-cide.

It's still sad though.

3 Comments:

At 9:04 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

chick-i-cide. Too funny!

Usually they just fall out. Sometimes they die for whatever reason and then the mom just tosses them over the side.

 
At 9:35 AM , Blogger Mojavi said...

when I was little I found this baby bird on the ground. I thought I would teach it how to fly so I kept throwing it up in the air and it kept falling hard to the ground... I was like 3. Now everytime I think about that I feel sad because I probably killed it. It was baby bird homocide

 
At 4:07 PM , Blogger Vampdaddy said...

We have morning doves on the deck outside our bedroom that hatched a little baby right before a big spring snow storm last week. After many days of not seeing it, we saw it's little head poke out during a "changing of the birdy guard". Hopefully our little birdy won't meet the same fate!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home