Life Is Just So Daily

Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Surgery Update.

Surgery update:
It was endometriosis, and the doctor got it all. He cauterized it all out. It was in a region of my body called the "cul de sac". Yes, that's right. Apparently, all of us women have a cul de sac inside! It's the space behind the uterus, but in front of the colon & rectum. I apparently had endometriosis in that space & that was causing all my continued pain & symptoms even after the cyst went away.

Fun stories...
(1) I woke up shaved. Now, they gave me all kinds of pre-op instructions. Why couldnt they have included this? I would have gladly done it myself. But no, I wake up & realize that someone took a raxor to me while I was out of it. Lovely. What a crappy job that person has.
(2) The first thing the doctor said to Damon & my moms (mom & mother in law) when he came out of surgery was, "Man, you give that girl some drugs & she is funny!" Keep in mind--I dont remember any of this. I was on drugs. Here's what Dr.B said that I said... Setting: the operating room. Time: just before I was seriously knocked out & the surgery would begin. I apparently looked around the room, and there were only 2 men in the room: Dr.B (ob/gyn) & Dr.Byrd (anesthesiologist). I said to them: "Okay, he's seen me naked" & pointed to Dr.B. Then I said, "You havent seen me naked." & pointed to Dr.Byrd. He said, "It's okay, I'm a doctor". And I said, "Okay, but when it's all over, you better say that I'm the best you've ever seen!" Dr.B told Damon that they'll be laughing about that for a long time. (I'm such an idiot!)
(3) I was rude to my nurse once I came out of surgery. I had a bit of bleeding & I vaguely remember telling the nurse that I didnt need these big-huge-maternity-I just delivered triplets-pads. I also remember throwing it onto the bed and stating, "These are USELESS to me." That was before I realized that I was bleeding. So, I had to apologize, tell her that she was correct & watch her clean up the mess I made. This whole little period of time is blurry--but I remember that incident quite clearly.
(4) Before I left the hospital they gave me some crackers to eat. I must have repeated several times: "These crackers are like a sponge. They just suck the moisture out of my mouth." Well, when I got home, I was craving more crackers. I dont know why---obviously they were robbing me of a moist mouth!!! Anyway, every time my mom or Damon would give me a cracker, they would repeat "These crackers are like a sponge. They are sucking all the moisture out of your mouth." & then they would crack up. Later they told me that I just kept saying that over & over while I was pretty out of it.

Now I will have two little scars on my belly. One is through my belly button. The other is....well, lower. He thought he was going to have to make 3 incisions, but said that because the endometriosis was "centrally located" he was able to get in & out with only two incisions. No idea what they're gonna look like because they are still covered.

What else? Suggested treatment for this....he says that he can suggest two options: (1) pregnancy & (2) induced chemical menopause. Of course I'm leaning toward pregnancy. And now I have a doctor in my court backing me up. Woohoo! Damon is leaning toward pregnancy too....so....we could be parents by this time next year. Oh my goodness!!!!
I have my post-op appointment on Thursday, so we will be discussing our plan. Dr.Brough initially told us that we would need to wait 6mo-1year before trying. He said after the surgery that because he was able to get in & see the whole system, & he successfully eliminated the endometriosis, that we should start trying in the next few months. WooHoo!

I dont even want to consider menopause. I dont know what all the symptoms are...but I know that your hair thins, you lose elasticity in your skin, you get mood swings & hot flashes. I think I'm fiesty enough to live with. I could not even imagine Damon trying to put up with me through all that.

I'm back at work now. It sucks. But, I must admit that I started to get bored at home by myself.

None of my clothes fit. My belly is still a little swollen. Yesterday I wore a skirt that hits kind of lower on my hips---as to avoid the belly-button area. Well, I wasnt really thinking because I have to wear pantyhose with all skirts....as mandated by the lovely dress code here at work. So, as the day went on--the pantyhose kept getting tighter & tighter. I eventually took the scissors to them & cut a section out of the waist band so that they would not be so tight. I was convinced that as the day was going on that my belly was swelling. Mom made the reference to Lucy & the bread that just keeps rising! That's exactly it.
So today I grabbed a pair of size 4 pants that I still have. I had to roll over the waist band to get them to fit, but at least they are not too tight on my tummy & now that they are tolled over, they dont hit my belly button at all. By the end of the day yesterday I was absolutely drained. My belly was swollen, bruised, & sore. I slept like a baby last night.

That's about it for now...

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home