Life Is Just So Daily

Saturday, October 18, 2014

2nd Day of School, 2014. BIG Day.

BIG day.
Huge.
Bigger than the first day of school.

Why?
Because Gage got to ride his bike to school.
This is huge to me for so many reasons.

He's waited to ride his bike to school.
He knows the way.
He's worked on bike safety.
Helmet is a must.
He must walk his bike through the cross walk.
Watch for cars.
Look both ways.

Oh My Goodness---my baby's riding his bike to school!

So, he rode with two of his buddies. Others have asked me, "Did you follow him to school!?" No, I did not. Why? Because the other mom did so I was off the hook! Yaaaaaay! Not that I didn't want to---it's just that Gage did not want me to, and I was wracking my brain about how I could creep along without being noticed. Wanting to give him that independence, but not really. Well, the other mother rode along and sent me a text that all went well.

I had peace that day knowing that he got to school safely because I got the text. But, I started worrying about the next morning. When Allen was killed, he was riding his bike to school. I cannot forget that. It's a detail that just IS....and it's a part of me now. Although Gage's school is at the end of our street, I still worry. I worried that he would leave my home, not have any photo ID, if something were to happen to him between my house and the school, I wouldn't know until I got the phone call from the school that he'd missed the 2nd attendance check. That give a bad guy like a 2 hour head start! That's not comforting! That's freakin' scary!
....and then I check myself.

I can educate my child about bike safety.
I can require that my child wear a helmet, and explain why it's so important.
I can educate my child about stranger danger.
I can have my child travel in a group. Safety in numbers!

I will not let my worries and fears stop my child from developing a healthy level of independence and responsibility. I will do everything within my power to protect my child, but allow him room to grow and experience some of the freedoms his peers are afforded. While the ripple effect of Allen's death affects us, and is a part of us, I cannot let it prevent my child(ren) from moving forward.

Day 2 of school was a BIG deal at this house.

As school dismissal time approached---Eliette and I waited in the front yard until we saw him. It was the best thing we saw all day!
You know I hugged that child and didn't want to let go. No shame in my game.



Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 1:35 PM , Blogger Running with Scissors said...

Hi there!… all your recent posts have been so lovely. I particularly liked E and G going down the slide together. Just the cutest xxx Christy in Sydney

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home