Life Is Just So Daily

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Stapled, Stitched, & Glued.

Ahhhh....Life with boys.

Warning---this will be a long post, with some twists & turns.

Saturday was a long day.
I worked the night shift Friday (or, rather "2nd shift"), and so I was tired Saturday morning. Toddlers don't sleep in just because you're tired.
Saturday, woke up, got to work on yard work. Good times.

Tree trimmers came. We had 4 of our 10 trees cut back. It was so interesting and fun to watch them with their ropes & pulley system...swinging from branch to branch with chainsaws in tow. Oh, it made me nervous, but it was fun to watch. In fact....we got to a stopping point with our yardwork, and I laid out a quilt on the yard. We sat around watching the tree trimmers. I'm sure they thought we were weird. Oh well.

Nathan & Aubri came over for a while. Gage....well, he had a difficult time sharing on Saturday.
The kids were playing on the back porch. Gage didn't want Aubri to play with ANYTHING! So, he kept putting the toys up high so she couldn't reach them. He was putting his play mower away when I told him "Aubri needs toys to play with too." He put his hand on his hip, held the other hand out to shield the mower, and said, "She can play with the dirt!"
Oh....buddy.

Nathan & Aubri were over for a while, but then they went back home.
The breeze was blowing in, so Hubby lit the chiminea. I sat, bundled up in a quilt, sipping a Mimosa by the chiminea fire {while still watching the tree trimming show!}. It was AWESOME.
That's when Hubby came up with this idea: let's camp out in the backyard.
Within a few minutes, he was in the garage digging out the tent, sleeping bags, & camping gear.

So...Gage & Hubby set up the tent...





And of course, I didn't have any marshmallows....so, we roasted hot dogs instead....


...or rather, we started to roast hot dogs.
It was sometime during the weinie roast that we had a camping accident.
....and we ended up HERE:


Yes, we ended the evening in the ER.
I know---he appears to be all smiles in the above pictures.
I assure you, Hubby & I worked VERY HARD for each & every one of those smiles.
The car ride out there involved the back of Gage's head bleeding onto one of my favorite {now trash} towels embroidered with the cutest drangonflies...Beastie Boys cranked way up loud {per Gage's request, and yes, if you are curious, we picked a few of the very few songs without cussing}. Also to note, the above pictures were taken BEFORE his head was stapled shut.

So what happened?
Gage was standing behind this patio chair. He was rock-rock-rockin' it back and forth. I no more than finished saying, "Gage, stop rocking that", before it toppled over backward, knocking him down, hitting the back of his head on the rim of a flower pot. He was shocked, then he was crying. He wanted me to kiss & rub his head. I started rubbing, and it was wet.It was dark out, so I pulled my hand away...and this next part may be gross, but true---I smelled it, and it smelled like iron. It was blood. We went in---blood dripping down his neck by now. I alerted Hubby that we had a real injury on our hands. He turned the hose on the fire---I changed Gage's filthy-I've-been-kind-of-camping-pants, we loaded Gage up, and headed to the car. Gage alerted us that he had to go potty once we got to the car. We headed back in...took care of business....& finally hit the road to the hospital.

There, he had to get two staples.
It wasn't easy. Nothing is harder than having your child scream & cry "Mommy they're hurting me!" while he's fighting to get away & his little head is covered with sweat from struggling. Oh.my.gosh. I mean, you know that having the lac closed is ultimately in his best interest---but it's so hard to not order all hands OFF deck, scoop him up, and just run to some closet, rock him & hide him from all that.
Ugh.

So...Gage is not yet 4.
He's now been stapled {head lac}, stitched {leg}, and glued {forehead/eyebrow}.
He's already had his first broken bone {collar bone}.
Life with boys is ROUGH!

My mother in law keeps telling me, "Like Father, Like Son". Apparently Hubby was the.exact.same.way as a child.

Please, Lord, please....protect my child from his clumsy self. Please let the bulk of our "real injuries" be behind us!

Labels: ,

18 Comments:

At 7:40 PM , Blogger Ann(ie) said...

OH yes...life with boys. They give us mama's heart attacks on a daily basis. SO glad he's okay, sugar! And I hope your mama's day was as good as it could be under the circumstances. xo.

 
At 9:58 PM , Blogger Chris H said...

BOYS and GIRLS mate!
I have and still am, raising 8 kids... I have lost count of how many times we have had to visit an ER Department, how many stitches we have had to see put in a kid, staples in heads, foreheads glued back, casts put on arms/legs, stomaches pumped, IV tubes inserted, operations worried over, and much much blood!!! It comes with the territory... and NO BUGGER tells you about ALL THAT when they hand you your new born do they? LOL
It is worth it... sometimes!

 
At 9:59 PM , Blogger Zephra said...

Man that kid likes to get hurt. But I have to say, he has some of the best one liners ever.

 
At 5:02 AM , Blogger Dana said...

Hopefully you get to do the camping thing again....I am sure it would have ended up being a lot of fun!! Hopefully his little head heals quickly.

 
At 6:04 AM , Blogger Aubs said...

Poor little buddy! Hope he is feeling better and that his head heals quickly!

 
At 6:33 AM , Blogger Laura said...

poor little dude...hope he heals well and feels better soon!

 
At 7:35 AM , Blogger Just Jiff said...

Ugh. I am glad my stepson is VERY cautious and doesn't like to do anything off the ground. lol.

We did have to hold him down for 2 stitches in his forehead once and he was about Gage's age. Ugh. That was awful.

 
At 7:53 AM , Blogger Beth said...

I swear, following the mishaps of your son is like reliving the traumas and injuries of my boys - except that those injuries happened to three kids - Gage is experiencing them all on his own!

 
At 9:52 AM , Blogger Pregnantly Plump said...

Poor little guy! I can't even imagine. My father was the same way, as accident-prone as they come. I see the fearlessness in Little Elvis and have strong feelings that we will be making similar trips to the ER.

 
At 10:14 AM , Blogger Christy said...

Boys are so rough and tumble. Izzy is always hurting himself too. I hope your little guy is feeling okay today.

 
At 11:16 AM , Blogger midwest princess said...

poor Gage! and poor you! So glad to hear he is ok. My little brother was very similar...cracked his head open on the fireplace before age 2!

 
At 11:21 AM , Blogger lisa said...

Poor guy! Hope your Mother's Day was a lot better!

 
At 3:11 PM , Blogger Elaine said...

awww!! feel better soon, gage! you are a tough mama...i would've been a total wreck.

 
At 3:36 PM , Blogger Framed by Grace said...

Looked like a fun night until that happened!! Tell Gage to get well!! (I had 20 stitches in the back of my head-I fell off a swing and there was a brick in the ground...long time ago)

 
At 5:12 PM , Blogger Hester 5 said...

Man, what a day!!! Poor guy! Rachel is pretty clumsy too..wouldn't surprise me if we end up with all of those injuries as well...well, hopefully not. Sorry I missed you today.

 
At 5:28 PM , Blogger Kate said...

Poor kiddo and poor mama! Here's hoping that now that you've gotten this out of the way, so to speak, this is the beginning of an injury-free season. =)

 
At 12:15 PM , Blogger Angel said...

ahhhhh boys. gotta love 'em. and I gotta tell ya, it is only the beginning. sorry.

I'm glad he's ok, and hey, The Beastie boys make everything better!!!

 
At 6:41 PM , Blogger Papa Bradstein said...

Oy! I'm obviously a little behind in my reading here...I prefer signed, sealed, delivered to stapled, stitched and glued. Mama always said she wanted a boy just like me; I always told her that I didn't want to go to the ER as often as my parents had to with me. Hope he's feeling better and that you are too.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home