Life Is Just So Daily

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Friday Night @ the DMA

********************************
...as in, Dallas Museum of Art.

So, I got all excited about the DMA's Fun-Filled Family Friday night. The kids can go in PJs for story telling, and crafts, and family fun. Kids are free.

I couldn't wait!
So, when I got home from work, I informed my family that we had a family-date-night surprise, and Gage was to wear his pajamas.

We head out to downtown, and pay our $10 for parking...
We headed on down toward the museum....






So, if you judged from the above pictures, you might be inclined to believe that we all had a really good time....

Well---let's back up. We enter. Holy A$$-Whooping---there are more people in the DMA than I have ever seen at one time. Gage is free; Hubby is $10, and I'm $5 (way to go, Student ID!) So, we're out $25 so far.

The crowd: completely overwhelming for all of us really. Craft tables---way crowded. Story time---over. There's a line longer than the lines to ride something at 6 Flags! What are all of these people waiting for??? To get into the gift shop to have their copy of the story-time book autographed by the author. Yup, we'll be skipping that...we didn't even hear the story.

So, Gage enjoyed exactly 3 things: (1) a "tunnel" piece of art [if you can call it that, but I'll get into that in a minute] where no photography was allowed, (2) the texture wall (pictured above), and (3) the boxes. Now, in the box area, he would stack up some of the boxes & then knock them down. These two girls (whose moms were wrapped up in their own conversation) would grab Gage's boxes when he knocked them down, so that they could build a biiiiiig tower. In fact, after the little rip-off artists snatched Gage's boxes, they could no longer reach the top of their tower, so one mom got off her fat-ass to stand on a chair & put boxes on top of their tower. Of course she was oblivious to their stealing-ways b/c she only helped the girls so they would be quiet & she could continue conversing with her friend.
But whatever---did I just get off on a tangent there???

So....we were there for an hour---maybe an hour & a half tops. That includes drive time & parking time.

My comments on SOME modern art.....
A completely dark room with a light that goes around the wall. To me---not art.
I've seen better light shows at the club.
Puh-lease!

This tunnel thing that someone calls art---granted, it probably took a while to construct....but art? Not to me.

Which takes my memory back to a NY trip I took in college. A childhood buddy, Jason, went to NYU. (Jason, if you're reading, 'What up, dog??') So anyway---he & I went to the Museum of Modern Art (MOMA). Some things there: totally awesome.
Some things: wtf? [Lainey-Paney's inner thoughts at the time: well, I'd like to sit---but is it art? is it JUST a bench, or is it art?.....oh look---someone wadded up a sheet of notebook paper & threw it on the floor. I'll pick it up to help keep MOMA tidy. WTF? does that little piece of wadded up trash have a title? and artist? THEY CALL THIS ART??? Damn....if I'd known that, I could have been rich. I had at least 20 of these on the dorm room floor last week when I was working on that paper!....]

So anyway...I'm not a super huge fan of all Modern Art. If it looks like trash & you're slapping a label on it calling it art, well, that's just stupid. Or, maybe I'm bitter because you thought of it before me. Whatever. If it looks like trash & I threw 20 things out just like it---well, then it is trash. To me anyway....

:)
Okay...that's all for now.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

At 8:37 PM , Blogger Love said...

lol...i don't "get" much modern art, either.

i'm always tempted to go to the free museum & aquarium days in chicago, then refuse to because of the insanity. its crazy!

 
At 10:31 PM , Blogger Mojavi said...

i totally agree with you! I get really really mad when they throw a 5k dollar price tag on the junk too!

 
At 4:12 AM , Blogger Zephra said...

Nope. I don't get it either.

 
At 6:36 AM , Blogger kim-d said...

Sign me up, too. Modern art is completely lost on me. Now give me some Monet, Manet, Chagall, toss in a little Norman Rockwell and some country folk art...THAT, to me, is art. Oh, and Erte'...art deco...yeah! But a canvas with, like, one dot on it? Don't think so.

And I would have smirked if the chair-standing mom would have lost her balance. I know. I'm mean. But she let her kid be a bully. To Gage. Not cool. Okay, so I would not have just smirked, I would have laughed out loud. :)

 
At 7:07 AM , Blogger Beth said...

Modern art...???...hmm...
That's why I've framed and hung some of my kids' artwork on the walls. Looks just as good, if not better.

 
At 7:58 AM , Blogger Judy said...

I love a good museum...modern or no. If for nothing else than the humor-factor.

I do not do free days anymore. Everyone loves a good free day, which is why I don't do them. I'll happily pay to get in if it means I don't have to rub elbows with half of the county's population, hahaha.

 
At 11:17 AM , Blogger Just Jiff said...

I hate modern "art" too. And I usually avoid big to-do's like where you guys went, only because in my experience they are always overcrowded and you can't truly enjoy yourself. We have Riverfest here in Arkansas and I stopped going when it's so packed that you can't raise your arm to scratch your nose without someone bumping into you. Gives me the creepy crawlies!

 
At 1:29 PM , Blogger for a different kind of girl said...

Our art museum doesn't do any of that fun stuff, which is a shame. However, I tried to take my boys there last week while they were on spring break (and didn't run away screaming when I suggested a trip to the art center!), and when we got there, people were parked for miles! I was shocked! I've no idea what was inside at the time because as soon as I saw the parking issues, I told the boys we'd come back another day. I figured they'd forget, but the place is open late tomorrow night, and they've been after me for days to find out if we're going to go.

Happily, everything about ours is free. I hate when you get stuck paying for something that is promoted as free.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home