Life Is Just So Daily

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Budget Busters

Okay, so with any renovation, there are unexpected costs, right?

So far, we've had a few....

The tool needed to remove the tile b/c it's set in concrete: $200.00.
{we could have rented one at $60/day with a $250 deposit, but we'll need it for at least 2 days, so that wasn't really a great deal, ya know?}

Sheetrock: $200.00. Why? Because as I mentioned before, there is no sheetrock behind these concrete tile & wire walls.

Insulation: cost unknown at this point b/c we haven't gone to buy any yet. Why is my bathroom so cold all the time? Because there's tile on top of concrete on top of this wire stuff. Beyond that? EXTERIOR BRICK. {Lovely.}

Mirrors: remember how I said that we'd probably just leave the mirrored 3 sided vanity that's built in? Well, the tool used to remove tile affected the mirrors {as in, cracked it}, so we may be doing something else in that area, or reworking it in some way. {Again, lovely.}

Electrical: we have an electrical outlet ON our current sink vanity. Sounds weird, right? It is kind of. So, some way, some how, we've got to move an electric outlet & establish that some place else so that I can blowdry my hair in the bathroom when this is all said and done. An electrical outlet BEHIND the sink is not user friendly...{hey, honey? Can you come slide this sink cabinet out of the way so I can plug in my curling iron??? Thanks!}

I was joking with my mom earlier about all these unexpected costs. I told her that we may be tearing this bathroom up---insulating & building walls, only to put the pink tile back in some random-broken-mosaic pattern b/c the budget $$ will be gone!
{Lord, please don't let that happen!}

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 1:33 PM , Blogger TwinsanityMom - Janet said...

Oh I know how that goes, we redid both our bathroooms when we moved in and we probably doubled our budget because we had to replace floor joists that had been damaged by a leaky sink. good times! You might want to put up cement board where the new tile will be going instead of drywall. It will cost a little more up front but helps to prevent problems with the tile because of moisture. Check with your tile guy though and see what he says. Good luck!

 
At 1:57 PM , Blogger Lainey-Paney said...

I called it Sheetrock, but Hubby calls it something else..."Hardy Board" I think....

 
At 8:14 PM , Blogger Zephra said...

I am glad you are at least getting it started. And the tile. Love it. Just what i would have chosen.

 
At 4:13 AM , Blogger Stephanie said...

Unexpected costs kill me. At least you'll have a nicer, warmer bathroom!

 
At 8:08 AM , Blogger Just Jiff said...

They always say to add 10% on top of your expected budget for UNexpected costs.... but I say add 25%.

Just how it goes. :(

And hey, you did the hard part: getting started and DOING it.

 
At 10:35 PM , Blogger Cristina Mathers said...

i wish i lived closer, i would have let you borrow that tile tool and got you a deal on the hardy backer.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home