Life Is Just So Daily

Friday, January 16, 2009

Bone Doc.

So, I took Gage to the "bone doctor" today.

He got this butterfly brace thing today. Apparently our LACK of appropriate healing is largely due in part to the inadequacy of the sling he was wearing. It was too big, and did not adequately immobilize his arm/support his arm to reduce pulling on his shoulder, affecting his clavicle.

So-------we wear this harness thing...this butterfly brace under his clothes. Well, he wears a t-shirt, then then harness to keep his shoulders kind of....back, and straight. then he wears a sling that's just his size, and that is to support & immobilize the arm to keep the pressure off the clavicle.

He looks like a little football player.

The harness comes off for bath-time only. The sling comes off for night-time sleep & bath-time.
Good times.....

So, we'll give it 2 1/2 weeks to start healing appropriately & avoid surgery!!!

[really? surgery for this? really? his bone is not poking out of his skin, so I'm just CERTAIN (okay, 99.9% sure) that is not in our future.]

Anyway...that's the update for today.
We've been instructed to avoid swinging, climbing, running, jumping...anything that could produce a fall.
mmmmmmmmmmmkay. So, after the ortho doc appointment, Gage wanted Chick-fil-A. To avoid playgrounds, we went to the one at NorthPark.
So....what happened there? My child falls. On the escalator.
This child LOVES escalators.
We've ridden them 8 million times.
THIS time, instead of holding my hand or holding onto the rail (like he likes to do...), he puts his hand on clear glass that does NOT move with the escalator. So, instead of going right along....I watch, as if in slow motion, my child's right hand stay put on the clear glass, and him rotate his whole body to the right & lean up...and I just couldn't scoop him up to stop it fast enough. He fell on the escalator steps. It just sucked. He was freaked out. I was freaked out, but glad that we weren't at the bottom (don't ask me about my ER horror story of a child who fell at the bottom of an escalator...it's not pretty). The older couple behind us was helpful, but a little freaked out.

Now, leave it up to us.
Doc: avoid things that may produce a fall.
Me: okay....could you sedate him for the next few weeks, b/c he's 3. He falls every day...just from walking. Or being in a hurry. Or not paying attention. Or because the wind changes. He's 3.

He now hates escalators.
In brighter news: he loves his new sling. It's blue with sports balls all over it.
He's pretty much off Tylenol with codeine. We give it to him at night. It doesn't really make him sleepy (so we time it a while before bedtime!), but we think it gives him a longer pain relief, which in turns seems to help him sleep.

What else? We really liked the Ortho Doc staff. They were awesome.
That's about it for now!

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 7:47 PM , Blogger Zephra said...

I fell on an escalator once and got a sprained ankle. I was trying to help a little kid that was left below by his parents. After getting the kid on safely, the parents didn't even stop to see if I was hurt.

 
At 4:57 AM , Blogger Laura said...

Poor little man.

I hear you about needing to sedate to stop any risks...kids will be kids and find a way!

Good luck to you and good healing to your brave little man!

 
At 6:56 AM , Blogger Beth said...

Gage is going to be fine - you're going to be a wreck by the time this is over!

 
At 7:15 AM , Blogger Ginger said...

I hate escalators. H.A.T.E. them! Going down is worse than going up. I am always afraid I will fall. I avoid them if at all possible. On a side note...remember my wedding reception and the only way to get to it was the HUGE escalators?!?! I was scared to death that I was going to fall or my dress was going to get caught. I loved my reception site, but I hated those dang escalators. I plan to keep the boys as far away from escalators as possible. My nerves would never handle getting me and both of them onto one. Thank goodness they can't even sit up yet!

So yeah...that was pretty random stuff about me...

I hope Gage heals fast and that it will all be over soon. Good thing that little kids do heal pretty quick!

 
At 12:26 PM , Blogger Judy said...

Little kids heal quickly - he'll be great in no time!

 
At 6:29 PM , Blogger Pregnantly Plump said...

Poor Gage! I can't imagine how scared you both must have been.
At Christmas, Little Elvis skinned both of his legs because he walked into the fireplace hearth. He was looking at the ceiling while walking forward. This, he gets from me.

 
At 10:30 AM , Blogger angie said...

I love that you say hello he's three...a change in the wind makes him fall! He's such an active little one that hopefully this two weeks flies by for him (and you of course!) and surgery is avoided!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home