Life Is Just So Daily

Saturday, January 24, 2009

Back to School.

Let me start by saying that for a change, my class is right smack-dab in the middle of campus. I seriously had to ask for directions.

...which brings me to this weird conversation...

White guy--overweight--decked out in school spirit garb--brand new white "sneakers" (seriously, no other word seems appropriate).
I asked him for directions. Of course he knows the way! As he's showing me to the building, his cell phone rings. He takes the call. Gets off the phone, and tells that it was his fiance calling. They're getting married on Friday. I notice that he didn't say "tomorrow", although it was Thursday when we were conversing. He confirmed - after I asked - that yes, he indeed was getting married the following day. "Congratulations! You ready?" "Not really. She's pregnant." Before I could stop myself, I said, "That's not reason enough to get married." (Hello. Pushing Your Judgements on Him Much???) He then starts listing all of this negative stuff about this gal. He's a neat-freak and she's sloppy. She likes candy, but doesn't throw away the wrappers. "Some of the wrappers are sticky." (yes, this really came out of his mouth as a reason not to marry this girl. He further informs me that his buddies keep telling him that the pet peeves are going to drag him down. He tells me that he's not looking forward to writing his own vows. Apparently he had to do that on the same day that we met. It was just weird. The whole conversation was WEIRD! I thanked him for showing me to my classroom & said "Good Luck."

...just weird...

Got to class.
Wow. Um....it's a class with a mental health focus, which is not my favorite, but I'll get through it. I look forward to the psycho-pharmacology. (sarcasm....)
Mental Health & going into clinical practice are just not my favorites...but I remind myself that this class, while not specifically necessary for my degree plan, will earn me credits toward graduation (those I need!) and according to a coworker who has already taken the licensing exam (which I will take post-graduation) says that this information will help on the exam.
So, I shall pay attention.

Anxiety.
I'm not one who has ever been clinically/medically diagnosed with anxiety.
But---the signs & symptoms were TOTALLY present when my teacher mentioned "role play" as part of the course work. I had a very unpleasant role playing experience in undergrad. I really don't want to get into it, but I can say that it was my final performance in the arena of graded role plays. I had a "role play" type exercise in another one of my graduate classes, but it was not any type of im-prov situation. It was planned out. I knew it was coming. It was part of a group presentation, and I knew how it would go. I didn't freak out about that.
But this?
This class is 3 hours long. 4 sessions are dedicated for role playing which we shall video-tape & dissect. Great....so not only do I have to do it, then I shall be tortured continually as it is examined, dissambled, dissected, scrutinized.
My heart is racing now as I even type the situation.
I'm sitting in the classroom the other night---we're going over the syllabus, and she gets to the part about the role plays. My heart starts racing. I start sweating. My bra feels like it no longer fits. No, wait...that's just my chest heaving to get oxygen. Don't freak out. Don't freak out. My mind starts racing & I start thinking about dropping the class.

But alas---I'm going to do it.
I will get through it.
I can't magically be sick on all the role play days or I'll fail the course. (yes, I already thought of that too!)
So---start the prayers now.
I just might surprise myself.
At the very least---I will get through it. It will not kill me. It will not kill me. It may be unpleasant, but it will not kill me.
May the force be with me!!!!!!!!!!!

Moving on...
Clickers.
We have to use clickers in this class.
It's kind of like being on a game show where we all get to "buzz" our answers in! So, this "clicker" is about the size of an ipod. You input some codes which link your clicker to the assigned class. The professor poses a question, and instead of writing the answer, or saying the answer, we click it in. Within a few seconds, she has the data. 70% of the class has answered A, while 30% of the class said D...etc. Kind of neat...but kind of a scam (according to Hubby). The clicker cost $20. Plus, the $13 activation/program fee. So, that's $33. For 33 cents, I could get a #2 pencil which will last me more than one semester... And, whatever happened to fostering dialogue? We are afterall, a talking profession! Or are we a listening profession? Perhaps a bit of both....

Anyway...it's back to school time.
I'll be taking two classes this semester. So far, I've attended one.
Books? Haven't bought any yet...
....but I need to.

Labels:

11 Comments:

At 7:41 PM , Blogger Judy said...

REading about going back to school totally puts me in the mood to go back again! Of course, Scott would TOTALLY kill me as I already got my masters and then quit to take a year off with Travis (that was 9 years ago - not back yet)...

It will be GREAT - just wait!

 
At 8:28 PM , Blogger Zephra said...

Oh man I would have to drop that class. You know what a chicken I am. Thanks for the inspiring e mail the other day. You made me feel special.

 
At 9:01 PM , Blogger Stephanie said...

You are so amazing taking class and still keeping up with being a mom, working, and a wife. I would have flipped over the role playing too. I get freaked out talking in front of a group of people. Good luck with that one!

 
At 1:36 AM , Blogger kim-d said...

Awww, man, Lainey! Role playing? GAH!

Reading your post just made me realize I don't have it SO bad with my Humanities and Sociology classes. The Humanities professor is a pompous ass who is so busy being intellectually superior that he forgets to instruct, and I have already, in Week 2, had a big e-mail fight with him. But at least I don't have to role play. Yet. That I know of.

I'll pray for you if you pray for me. We CAN, respectively, do this. We freakin' HAVE to. Again with the GAH!

 
At 4:28 AM , Blogger Laura said...

Hope the class is not too stressful. Saying lots of prayers.

Game show education - wow!

Hang in there.

 
At 5:25 AM , Blogger kimmy said...

"Role Playing" would most definitely send me into a panic attack! Not my favorite thing to do at all!

Good luck!

Kimmy

 
At 5:42 AM , Blogger Beth said...

Very strange encounter with an apparently very strange man.
Best of luck with the course and the dreaded role playing.

 
At 1:29 PM , Blogger Kate said...

Jeez. Bizarre interaction with that guy--I hope he was able to back out of it. He can't even say "tomorrow"? That sounds like someone's avoiding reality.

I had the same reaction when reading about the role plays. You're going to do them, do them well, and LIVE.

I've used those (well, some brand) clickers in class as a teacher. They're nifty and all that and there's a lot of pressure to use them to "engage" people of generations younger than ours. I'm not sure if they're that successful. Well, they were great for test prep, but otherwise... ?

 
At 5:30 AM , Blogger Phillips Family said...

I used to have to do role-plays like this in grad school and HATED it! Ugh. It was quite unnatural. Also, all my counseling sessions that I did (about 350 hours worth) were videotaped and had to be watched and discussed with a fellow group of students. I often tended to focus on how weird my hair looked that day or what was up with my outfit choice as opposed to my actual counseling skills....

 
At 9:08 AM , Blogger Just Jiff said...

Gyah. I'd totally hate the role playing too. :(

What are you getting your degree in?

 
At 10:50 AM , Blogger Pregnantly Plump said...

The class sounds kind of neat. I hope it goes well, and that the role-playing won't be too bad!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home