Life Is Just So Daily

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

1/19/9: The Day I Almost Died.

Photobucket

So....I went to work yesterday...
After work, I went down the street to the gas station, since my car told me that I had 6 miles to empty. Getting gas seemed like a good idea at the time.

I was on the phone with my friend, Sam... I swiped the debit card...selected my fuel grade. Put the nozzle into my car, and pushed down the little "make it pump automatically lever". Then, I stood back, watched the meter thing on the pump, and chatted away.

And then....the-nozzle-propelled-itself-OUT-of-the-car, smacking me in the "lap area", with fuel spewing out all over. It slid down my leg, covering me in gasoline from my waist, on down. My pants: covered in gas. My shoes: covered in gas. My socks---squishy with all the gas in my shoes.

Me: "Oh Shit! I'm covered in gas!!!!!!!"
Sam: "Want me to let you go?"
Me: "Shit! I'm covered in gas!!!"
Sam: "Call me later."
Me: "Ok. ....shit!"

As I was hanging up, that's when Vicki called.
And then my husband called.
And then my mom called.
I was ringing off the hook, but shit! I was covered in gas!

I went into the gas station bathroom & washed the gas off my skin, but my clothes were soaked. The gas station people said, "Is that YOU that smells like gas?"
Me: "Yes. The hose popped out & covered me in gas. I got the gas off my skin, but I have to get some new clothes." {picture me---sayin' it walkin', b/c I had to get outta there!}

And so---maybe I didn't almost DIIIIIEEEE....but, I certainly felt akin to...
Photobucket
Seriously folks---it had nothing to do with a lack of brains. I was REFERRING TO his fear of fire. Mmmmkay??? Seriously---I was on the look out for matches, lighters, brush fires, flying cigarrette butts, birthday candles, you name it!

So, I hop into my car, roll down all the windows b/c of the smell, and drove right back to the hospital. I called up to the hospital first.
Me: "I need someone to get me some scrubs. I'm on my way up there."
Nurse: ....honestly, I forget what he said, but he was giving me a hard time about my request...
Me: "I'm serious. I'm in a situation here, and I am on my way back to the hospital. I am COVERED in gasoline. I'll be there in a second."
Luckily for me.... they were prepared for my arrival, and I got "de-con'd", as in decontaminated. I opted out of the de-con shower, thank you very much. I got to wash off in a sink, and got new clothes to wear. My clothes were double bagged, but I'm sure they're just ruined. How do you get gasoline out of leather boots????

So, I left the hospital in scrubs (short sleeved...), & crappy-a$$ slipper socks. I had no shoes. It was priceless. I had to drive home with all of the windows open to air out the interior of the car since I rode in there with my gas-soaked clothes.
I froze my hiney off!

Got home. Hubby got my bagged clothes out of the trunk of my car. He also washed all of the gas off my car.

It was all so gross.
And lucky me---I lived to tell the tale!

Labels:

21 Comments:

At 7:32 AM , Blogger Aubs said...

Wow....that is most definatly the first time i've ever heard of that happening and that is CRAZY! So glad that it all worked out ok...with the exception of the clothes and shoes....

 
At 7:35 AM , Blogger MarvelousMOM said...

I have heard horrible stories about people talking on cell phones while pumping gas. Be careful!!! I am glad that you are ok. The clothes and shoes can be replaced, you can't.

 
At 8:17 AM , Blogger Kaylee said...

That's crazy! I mean I've gotten gas on my feet before, but never my whole body. lol. crazy

 
At 8:58 AM , Blogger Kaylee said...

Mom hates the new piercing, of course. I dont know, just something I've been wanting to do for a while, so I did. May not stay in long, who knows.

We had a good time at the birthday celebration! Wish we could make a trip down to Savannah, because I love it there...but don't think we will be this time. I'm waiting on some warmer weather first. =)

 
At 9:31 AM , Blogger Jiff said...

OMG! That's AWFUL!! I am glad you got some scrubs...and glad hubby cleaned out your car for you. :(

And super glad that nothing happened to you while soaked in gasoline. That's scary!

 
At 9:57 AM , Blogger Jenny said...

That is absolutely scary! Thank God no one decided to throw cigarettes your way...geez, you couldn't have been the fire in that picture and we would have never heard your story. Stay off the cell phone while pumping gas too. That is dangerous!

 
At 10:08 AM , Blogger Lainey-Paney said...

It's dangerous to be on the cell phone while pumping gas?
I've never heard of that....???

 
At 10:22 AM , Blogger mpotter said...

wow.
very not cool.
glad you're ok.
and, yeah. most of the gas stations around here have signs warning of cellphone usage.

i hope the smell comes out of your car soon!

 
At 10:54 AM , Blogger Pregnantly Plump said...

I'm glad you're ok! I would have been worried about a fire, too. Good luck on getting the gas smell out.

 
At 1:11 PM , Blogger Judy said...

Snopes says the cell phone danger is a hoax...
http://www.snopes.com/autos/hazards/gasvapor.asp

Just FYI. :-)

Glad you are all right!

 
At 1:34 PM , Blogger Beth said...

You have just described (and experienced) one of my biggest fears at gas stations. And people told me that could never happen!
Glad you are okay.

 
At 2:24 PM , Blogger Kate said...

Hubby said that various oil companies have tried to ban those things that mean you don't have to hang onto the handle the entire time, but dang, that would be a pain. But then, I don't want to end up covered in gas because that is totally something that would happen to me. I'm so glad that you're okay!

 
At 3:39 PM , Blogger shoeaddict said...

I am so sorry this happend to you. I really am glad you are ok. Having said that, I DIED laughing at your referral to the "lap area". No one else thought that was funny?? I did.

 
At 4:30 PM , Blogger Beth said...

thank you God you are all right!!! Damn girl..I've seen 20/20 mand shit, where people BURN UP while talking on the cell ohone while pumping gas!!!!

throw the clothes and shoes out....SHOPPING TIME!

 
At 5:36 PM , Blogger angie said...

I would have flipped out!! And yes it is dangerous to be on the phone...god knows I still forget and do it, but after your little story, not so sure I will forget!

 
At 7:08 PM , Blogger *~Sarah Lynn~* said...

That is terrifying. I would be freaking out too because I am deathly afraid of fire!!!

 
At 8:08 PM , Blogger Mighty Morphin' Mama said...

Brutal! So glad you are okay. Freaked me out a bit with the fire photo and the cell phone, yikes!

 
At 8:11 PM , Blogger Robin said...

We should nominate ourselves. We just need to start dressing really bad and make our friends and family film us doing it. That should be a cinch huh?

Question.... Your picture looks very familiar, but I can't place you... how do we know each other? Do we know each other?

 
At 9:04 PM , Blogger lisa said...

My question is how did you keep it from soaking into your car seat?

I was at a station once were a guy had walked off and left the pump in his car. Instead of automatically shutting off, it started spewing out of the car and all over the ground. After figuring out were the gushing sound was coming from, I went over and clicked the handle, and this was when gas was above $3.00. I got freaked out about all the gas then, I can’t imagine having it on me. By the way the guy did come and tell me thank you.

 
At 10:01 PM , Blogger Papa Bradstein said...

Dude. That sucks. I'm glad you survived. Otherwise, who would I use as a model for our house rules? Seriously, what did you come up with? ...You know, now that you're all going to live another day and all.

 
At 7:33 AM , Blogger Jenster said...

That's scary! What if there had been a rogue flash of lightening or something!?

Seriously, though. That totally sucks.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home