Life Is Just So Daily

Sunday, October 26, 2008

Um...I may or may not be stupid.

I'm too stupid to know if I'm stupid or not.

Seeeeee.....Gage told me that he's finally down with Halloween & Trick-or-Treating & wearing a costume, etc.
So, he tells me that he wants to be a ROBOT for Halloween.
Okay....cool. I can handle this.

So, I find this cute little robot costume online at Pottery Barn Kids, but I don't want to pay almost $40 for a costume. And, that's the SALE price. For my kid to wear for just a few hours? No thanks.

So, I decide that with my mad-crazy-sewing skills, that I'm going to make one.

Well....when I got to the check out at JoAnn's...let's just say---this bad boy wasn't cheap. Let's see....after the fabric & notions, I saved myself a WHOPPING FIFTY CENTS!

Oh wait---that calculation doesn't include the two sewing machine needles I broke when I got carried away doing the hem. Who can blame me? I was in the home-strech, you know?

But----$39.50 & 4 hours of labor later...(yes, it took me 4 hours. I am not a super-seamstress you know....)


And, yes, I did feel the need to use the iron on letters to spell out "ROBOT". Otherwise, people would assume that my kid went trick-or-treating dressed as an oven mitt.
(you have to admit---that fabric is very oven-mitt-ish.)

The biggest kicker of the day? I had to bribe my kid with a "suckie" to get him to try it on. Yes, he was all excited while I was making it...but when it was finished, mmmm....not so much enthusiasm anymore...
We'll just have to wait & see if he even wears it for Halloween!

Labels: , ,

21 Comments:

At 5:11 PM , Blogger Judy said...

VERY cute!

I made Travis' Harry Potter robe two years ago, and for the past two years, he's been, well, HARRY POTTER! That dern thing cost me over $60 to make - it is lined with a hood, and then I crocheted a scarf and bought accessories...ugh.

This year he's Indiana Jones, courtesy of Wal Mart.

 
At 5:27 PM , Blogger lisa said...

I'm sure it's way more cute than Pottery Barn. I'm going to attempt a puppy dog. Is it bad that I haven't started yet?

 
At 6:18 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

That is so cute! I can't wait to see pictures of him with it on.

 
At 9:35 PM , Blogger Mojavi said...

lol that cracks me up about the oven mitt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol...

but yours looks AWESOME and no one will have it b ut GAGE!!

 
At 6:07 AM , Blogger ~melinda~ said...

are you serious? you totally put me to shame. i make my husband fix my pants buttons when i pop them. (not that i EVER do that!)

 
At 8:36 AM , Blogger Zephra said...

I can so see the need for the word. That material screams oven mitt. I cracked up when I read that.

 
At 8:44 AM , Blogger Stephanie said...

You did a great job!

 
At 10:25 AM , Blogger Just Jiff said...

LMAO. That's very much something I'D do! And I'm impressed with the finished product!!

I did the whole eBay thing and got costumes for...well, less than what you paid. I won't rub it in. lol.

Very cute...and YES, it looks like an oven mit. Thanks, I needed that laugh this morning. Seriously.

 
At 10:29 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made the mistake of making Maggie's kangaroo costume 2 years ago. She looked more like a giant mouse.

 
At 2:21 PM , Blogger Suzanne said...

It's really cute. It was all I could do to hem up the legs on Gage's costume.
Suzanne

 
At 2:22 PM , Blogger Suzanne said...

P.S. The oven mitt comment made me laugh out loud.

 
At 4:00 PM , Blogger Kate said...

Awesome! I'm very impressed. And I think it's funny that you only saved $0.50. Isn't that how it works?

 
At 4:47 PM , Blogger Love said...

ok, that is hilarious. the $0.50 saving, the oven mitt, the bribe. i love it.
you did a great job though!!

 
At 10:57 PM , Blogger Barrie said...

I'd wear it! What a great looking costume.

 
At 4:30 AM , Blogger Angel said...

that ias SOOOO cute! I hope we get to see pix of Gage actually wearing it!!! I made a "cleopatra" costume once...ya, cost $$$$$ to make that sucker!!!

 
At 10:33 AM , Blogger Heidi said...

I love it! I know what you mean by sometimes spending more time and money on a homemade costume. UGH!

 
At 11:46 AM , Blogger Christy said...

You are so crafty! I am completely impressed.

 
At 5:27 PM , Blogger Framed by Grace said...

Great job on the costume!! How are you? I hope all is well in Texas..VA is getting quite cold-ugh!! Talk to you soon

 
At 10:24 AM , Blogger Pregnantly Plump said...

That's a great robot costume! Hopefully he liked it once he got it on? My mom made most of my Halloween outfits growing up and I have great memories about them. Hopefully Gage will have great memories of this as well.

 
At 3:34 PM , Blogger Cristina Mathers said...

i think it's awesome and so much better that you made it!

 
At 9:56 PM , Blogger Mighty Morphin' Mama said...

Awesome! great job!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home