Life Is Just So Daily

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Germs.



Wednesday with Gage was pretty awesome...until late afternoon.
Let me say, for lunch, Gage ate Chik-fil-A nuggets & a fruit cup.
When we got home, he threw up. I thought that maybe he was playing hard, and...just, whatever.
He came over to me & said that he had germs & also said, "listen to my breath" as he exhaled & wanted me to smell it. Mmmm. He said that he wanted to go brush his teeth, so we did. When I returned to the living room, he told me that he threw up on the rug. I didn't SEE any vomit, so like the little explorer that I am, I ran my hand over the rug. I'm an idiot. It was wet & puky, and was mostly liquid & in the rug.
[HEY, HUBBY....you get to shampoo the rug!]
Yes, puke hands. Great.

After that...he was...normal self, I suppose. Perhaps a little on the cranky side, but I thought that was because he didn't have a real nap today. (he fell asleep in the car on the way to the bank earlier...but, slept less than 20 minutes...)
He'd been up since 5:30am. Did I mention that?

So...I started putting him down for bed at 7:30, since I'm a seasoned-enough mom to know that this is a process. By 8:30, he was finally asleep.

UNTIL the 10 o'clock hour. Woke up SCREAMING.
Tonight I learned that one child can cry non-stop for over an hour.
Come to find out: his ear hurts. (kudos to me---one of the first questions I asked, and I gotta say---at this age it's so awesome that I can actually ask the question & get a yes or no answer!) Narrowed it down to his right ear. He won't even touch it or let me touch it. Poor kiddo.
Refused Tylenol, so I put it in his sippy cup with his milk. (praying there's no milk-tylenol interaction that perhaps I don't know about...)
We rocked, we cried, we called in to work for Thursday, we called the mother-in-law to let her know of the goings on, and we called the Hubby to let him know. Tomorrow we'll call the doctor.
I have no antibiotics here to start. He's only had one ear infection episode in the past. They gave us kiddie-augementin, which gave Gage such horrible diarrhea that gave him such a horrible diaper rash...yada, yada, yada. Anyway...I'm thinking that maybe we should try a different antibiotic this time.

But for now, he's finally back to sleep. It's 12:40 in the morning. I've got to go to bed because I have NO idea when he'll be up again.

Labels:

18 Comments:

At 10:50 PM , Blogger Mojavi said...

uuugghhhhhh.... kids all over the blogosphere are puking, poopin' and just plain SICK!

I hope he gets better fast!!! very fast!

 
At 11:37 PM , Blogger Barrie said...

It seems so early in the season to be starting all this, doesn't it? I've already had two kids come home from school with fevers (over 101).

Take care of Gage. And of yourself too.

 
At 3:54 AM , Blogger kim-d said...

Awww, poor Gage! And poor Lainey, too. Seriously! Puke hands, even when the puke came from someone you love more than life itself = NO GOOD. I used to get ear infections so bad that I would get nauseated, but I'm also wondering if he got some bad nuggets??? With him wanting you to smell his breath and brush his teeth, it seems like maybe he had a bad taste in his mouth. But whatever. I hope Gage feels better real soon, and take care of you, too. While The Hub cleans the rug...hehehe!

 
At 4:24 AM , Blogger Jess B said...

Sick kids are NO FUN! Hopefully you'll be able to sneak a nap in sometime today.

 
At 4:49 AM , Blogger Judy said...

Take it easy today and rest - hopefully the antibiotic that you get will be easy on him and kick in quickly!

 
At 5:06 AM , Blogger Zephra said...

Oh No! Poor guy. It came on so fast. I wonder if a little heat would help him with the pain? That always helps me when my ear hurts.

 
At 7:11 AM , Blogger Aubs said...

Poor buddy! We are doing the ear infection thing in our house with Brayden right now too. NO FUN! Hopefully you will be able to get into the doc and get the meds started. Hang in there and take care!

 
At 7:28 AM , Blogger Stephanie said...

Oh, poor little Gage. :( It kills me when kids are sick. I hope that he gets something and feels better soon.

 
At 8:29 AM , Blogger Beth said...

Ear infections are just awful. And what a godsend he could tell you where it hurt.
Get him on those antibiotics asap - for his sake and yours!

 
At 9:33 AM , Blogger shoeaddict said...

I really hate to hear that. I hope he gets better soon. Ear infections are awful!

 
At 9:58 AM , Blogger Pregnantly Plump said...

Poor Gage. Good luck with the doctor and getting a different medicine!

 
At 11:21 AM , Blogger Stefanie said...

Poor little guy. Ear infections are so painful!

 
At 11:36 AM , Blogger contemporary themes said...

I hate ear infections. They are the WORST.

Hope your little guy feels better SOON.

 
At 11:54 AM , Blogger Angel said...

awwww...Poor Gage. I hope he feels better soon...for both your sakes! ;)

 
At 12:20 PM , Blogger Just Jiff said...

Poor little guy. Good idea on the Tylenol milk. And hope you got some rest.

 
At 1:24 PM , Blogger Kate said...

I'm so sorry Gage feels so sick!

 
At 8:09 PM , Blogger Hester 5 said...

Just to let you know....ALL antibiotics give diarrhea but Augmentin is good stuff! Rachel is on it now AGAIN for sinus infection. EAT LOTS OF YOGURT!!!

 
At 9:26 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, totally sucks. Jack and Alex have both been ear infection magnets. I found that those middle of the night scream fests are sometimes soothed by a warm heating pad against the ear while the Tylenol kicks in.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home