Life Is Just So Daily

Sunday, September 07, 2008

Gagie-Poo, Gagie-Poo, I love you!

So, to update on the imaginary friend situation....

I'd a post a picture for all of you to see, but um...the imaginary friends are clear. I mean, invisible.

"Buddy" is still around. Come to find out---Buddy is little b/c he's a puppy. Who knew? Well, I just recently learned myself. Yes, Buddy is the imaginary puppy that lives at Casa de Lainey-Paney.

Who's the new & apparently more important friend? "Sherman." Or, as Gage says, "Sherman the worm'n". He's "like a caterpillar."

One day last week we were going to JoAnn Fabrics. Sherman of course had to go in. We both got distracted (Gage, whiny, wanting to leave...hating every moment of the fabric store, and me---wanting to leave because clearly my whiny child was pissing all over my fabric store excitement). So, we paid for my few squares of felt fabric & his ginormous lollipop & head out the door. Get to the car as another car pulls in next to us. This lady is patiently waiting for me to buckle Gage into his seat when all hell broke loose. "SHERMAN! You forgot Sherman! You shut him in the door!" Gage was frantic & trying to bolt from his seat. I have to unbuckle him & he runs for the door. Not only was it mega-windy, but the glass door was pretty heavy & he could not pull it open, though he tried with all his might. I get over there, and open the door, he bends down, still crying out "Sherman! Sherman!" with tears streaming down his little cheeks. He picks up his invisible friend and holds him up for me to "see". "It's okay, Mommy. He's all right!" And, we head back to the car with our invisible friend.

Sherman sleeps on the stool in Gage's room. Sherman sometimes goes in a "cage" (also invisible) and gets carried about in my purse. Buddy...well, I haven't seen Buddy in a few days. But...then again, he's invisible. For all I know, he might be digging a hole under the fence right now!

....Sherman & Buddy: our invisible friends.

Labels:

21 Comments:

At 8:40 AM , Blogger Mighty Morphin' Mama said...

How freakin' cute is he?? Poor Sherman, I can't believe Gage's amazing imagination.

 
At 8:41 AM , Blogger Jenster said...

Heeheehee!!! My son had an imaginery wife when he was about Gage's age. What's with that??? They had several kids, too.

My daughter's friend was Doo-bu-dee (said fast). We never quite figured out what he/she/it was.

I love, love, LOVE kids' imaginations!!

 
At 9:59 AM , Blogger Heidi said...

Oh, dear, how could you mama! Poor Sherman. I am glad he was okay. Have you seen the movie 'Lars and the real girl'?
And yes you should keep writing and posting about Riley, it is important for people to know.

 
At 10:15 AM , Blogger Pregnantly Plump said...

Poor little Sherman! Little Elvis hates JoAnn Fabrics, too. How weird is that? He doesn't seem to mind Hancocks. Maybe Gage would like that store better?
Glad you were able to rescue Sherman and that everything was ok.

 
At 10:58 AM , Blogger contemporary themes said...

That is hysterical, although I'm sure it wasn't too funny at the moment of rescuing little Sherman!

My mom tells the story of my oldest brother's imaginary friend. He used to play with him in the mirror! Hee Hee!

 
At 11:16 AM , Blogger Elaine said...

oh that's adorable!

 
At 11:44 AM , Blogger mpotter said...

how adorable!
and hilarious names for his friends.

great imagination. and kudos to your patience! i'm sure lots of moms woulda just left him.
(sherman; not gage- ha!)

 
At 11:49 AM , Blogger shoeaddict said...

You ROCK for going to get Sherman. Gage is so cute. I love that he has imaginary friends/pets.

Both my little bro and I had imaginary friends. Mine were called- Boy Jatta and Girl Jatta and Don Becky. Justin (brother)'s were girls named Mildrick and LaLa. :)

 
At 12:07 PM , Blogger Beth said...

Interesting that the imaginary friends are animals/insects.
I'm thinking...maybe it's time for a puppy, a lizard, a hamster???
(We've had them all - and more.)

 
At 12:15 PM , Blogger Lainey-Paney said...

beth---we have a dog, Eddie.

He's been asking for a sibling.
...then he changes his mind.
Maybe that's what manifests in these imaginary pets. They can "appear" when he wants them, and he can be responsible for them & nurturing....but he can also control their presence in his life....

 
At 4:06 PM , Blogger Hester 5 said...

Sherman the Wormin from Backyardigans!!! HA!!!! I am smiling!

 
At 5:08 PM , Blogger Chris H said...

Very funny... and rather cute. Maybe he needs a real puppy??? lol

 
At 7:24 PM , Blogger Bee said...

Invisible friends freak me out! My niece went through a phase where they had to go with her everywere and we were constantly leaving X Y Z behind. She would sometimes want me to go back but I'd always say, I'll send her mommy to go get them Thenshe'd give me a lecture on how kids shouldn't be left alone so our happy asses would have to drive back and pick them up.

 
At 9:30 PM , Blogger lisa said...

There is an award waiting for you at my blog!

 
At 9:47 PM , Blogger lisa said...

It’s not hard. Highlight the text where you want the link to be. Then look up at where you can change font, text size, etc. The sixth button (or what ever you call it) from the left is the link button. It’s green with a chain? symbol. If you click on that it will ask for the URL address. I cut and paste mine in. Then select ok, and there you go. You can also do pictures if you want.

I don’t know if you really wanted me to tell you all this, but I was really proud of myself when I figured it out. I’m not that technical either.

Your welcome! And thank you for the suggestion on how to cut fresh bread. I had a “smack my forehead” moment.

 
At 10:22 PM , Blogger Barrie said...

Two of my four kids had imaginary friends. Child #1 had an imaginary dog who went EVERYWHERE with us. I was constantly having to call out for him at the grocery store because he (the pretend dog, that is) kept taking off down the wrong aisle! One day, Child #1 painted a picture of the dog. He was blue! Who knew!?

I did read somewhere way back when that often kids with imaginary friends have high IQs. Or maybe I placated myself with that thought as I chased around the grocery story looking like a lunatic!

 
At 7:23 AM , Blogger Stephanie said...

He is so adorable!!! My sister was just like that. She had two imaginary friends and she would play and talk with them for hours! They say that is a sign of intelligence or something.

 
At 7:25 AM , Blogger Lindsay, Tony, and Madison said...

I'm so glad Sherman was OK! Gage is seriously too cute!

 
At 9:17 AM , Blogger Kaycee said...

OMG That is hilarious!!! How neat that he is so creative.

I totally understand the whiney kid in the fabric store..argh! I thought I had the only one. It seems that way when im there!

 
At 7:55 PM , Blogger angie said...

Every time I don't think Gage can possibly say anything cuter...he does! He has an amazing imagination and I seriously love the way you tell Gage stories! He cracks me up! What a doll.

 
At 10:53 PM , Blogger Mojavi said...

I just saw shermin the worm on the backyardigans today and totally thought of GAGE! lol

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home