Life Is Just So Daily

Monday, August 25, 2008

8.25.8



Well, today is the first day of school for many people around here...
Me, being one of them.
So...remember, way back when...I was going to school for that Master's Education that won't just let you pay cash for? They make you actually go & learn the stuff?
Yeah....that's the one. I'm going back for more.

So...the last semester that I attended classes (Spring '08), I (1) forgot that school started at the beginning of the semester, and totally didn't go to the first class, and (2) ended up taking a leave of absence that semester...you know, after paying the tuition, buying the books & then I only got pennies back on the dollar when I had to leave. Whatever.
I'm not bitter. Not at all.
...okay...just a little.

Well, tonight after work, I will report, once again, to the old SW Complex, complete with it's odd smells & small desks & manual pencil sharpeners bolted to the walls.
I have no spiral notebook.
I have no 3-ring binder.
I have no #2 pencils.
Needless to say, I am ill-prepared to step into my future. I haven't even hit the bookstore yet to see what overpriced--written by the professor so I am padding his bank account--textbooks will be required.

I figure, I'll jack a pen & some copy paper on my way out the door & just make do for this first session. Or....I'll hit the bookstore in my hour & a half block of time between leaving work & the start of class, and I'll load up school supplies in the 11th hour. We'll see....

This morning, I was a few minutes late.
I'm totally blaming the school district for this one.
There is a school right here by my place of employment. All the cars to drop off the kids, the bus lane, the carpool lane, the drop off lane, the moms who aren't in the right lanes w/ their blinkers on, and the crosswalks. Goodness. I noticed this morning that the crossing guards have new hand held stop signs that light up. That's cool, I guess.

While I sat in the school traffic, I watched a mom push her wheelchair-bound special needs child at least 3 blocks to get him to school. I wonder what her morning was like. How long had they been walking? Does she do that twice a day?
I dunno. I just kind of thought, "wow".

And on THAT note, I'm going to stop complaining about school!

Moving right along...
I worked Saturday day shift, Sunday 12 hour shift, and now I'm back at work today. I wouldn't necessarily say that I'm tired. It's more like, I'm tired of this place.

When I got home last night, Hubby was telling me that Gage had been sooooo upset, laying with Daddy and crying about me being at work & working so much lately. "she's not coming home? she's gone forever?" He was very concerned that I was not coming home ever. Bless his little heart! So, of course, even though he was supposed to be in bed, I opened the door to his room, and his little eyes just LIT up. We hugged, and he snuggled, and he just cried telling me how much he missed me & how glad he was that I was home. It was WONDERFUL & pitiful at the same time.

I really probably should not have worked a 12 hour shift the day before I have to stay out late to go to school after work...but, I'll have Tuesday & Wednesday at home with him...so that will be great.

Something in the blogosphere:
there's a little boy named Gage who is starting his first day of school today. He's not my Gage, but obviously my child & this other Gage share the same name. Anyway, Gage Holmes has been battling leukemia, and he is starting kindergarten today. So, say a little prayer for Gage Holmes & the Holmes family on this important day for them!
http://gageupdates.wordpress.com

:)

Labels: ,

14 Comments:

At 9:52 AM , Blogger Zephra said...

Oh Lainey, you can tell your little boy has such a sweet heart. You are lucky.

 
At 10:59 AM , Blogger stuwk said...

Aw...sweetness from your little man.
You have a lot on your plate. bless you as you try to navigate it! And thanks for the reminder to look outside myself. What a great post!

PS: (I'm new to you and just wanted to say "hi")

 
At 11:00 AM , Blogger shay said...

Oops...that last comment was me. I didn't notice I was signed in as my son.

 
At 11:10 AM , Blogger Hester 5 said...

You have been working a lot lately...what's up with that? I need to come up there when you're working so we can see my baby again!!! Pretty soon you should be able to hear the heartbeat with doppler.

 
At 3:06 PM , Blogger Judy said...

YOu know once this first week is over, that traffic pattern will change...it does here. EVERYONE drops off and picks up the first day, then a few defer to the bus or carpool (we're doing the bus this year), and by the end of the week, the crowd is pretty much weeded out.

 
At 3:25 PM , Blogger shoeaddict said...

I hope you have a good day (night) at school. I know where you work but not what you do there. What is it?

Poor Gage and you! I'm sure that did upset you. I hope tomorrow together is fun.

 
At 5:01 PM , Blogger angie said...

I can tell you my first day of school today was hell! I am going to have a rough year with my students! I had a kid steal from me today!! DAY ONE OF SCHOOL WE ARE STEALING!! Not good!

So hopefully you have a better first day than I did!

 
At 5:04 PM , Blogger Christy said...

Too much work and school - yuck! At least you'll have Tuesday and Wednesday with your little guy.

 
At 8:00 PM , Blogger Kate said...

Whew--that makes me tired just reading it. Best wishes this semester! Thanks for the good wishes--I am having a great year. One day in. =)

Gage is the sweetest! He knows you love him. And prayers for the other little boy.

 
At 6:23 AM , Blogger Beth said...

I guess as an adult student, the thrill of stocking up on supplies for the new school year kind of fades.
Kids can break your heart with how they view the world - "she's gone forever?"
(I'll say a prayer for the other little Gage.)

 
At 7:44 AM , Blogger Heidi said...

That's great that you are continuing on with your education. You will do great just like before.
Make sure you take care of yourself too though, it sounds like you have a lot on your schedule.

 
At 2:58 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww, I'm glad you got to snuggle with him before fell asleep. Boys need lots of mommy time and snuggles, even my oldest at age 11!

 
At 9:55 AM , Blogger Mighty Morphin' Mama said...

Wow, you have a lot on your plate Lainey. Enjoy your time with your sweetheart today and Good luck with everything!

 
At 6:55 PM , Blogger Zip n Tizzy said...

Good for you, but wow that sounds like a lot.
Your last experience sounds like the dreams where it's finals and you realize you haven't been to class all semester. I have those dreams regularly because I was queen of sign up, drop out but finally finished.
All this to say... Good luck, and may you succeed wildly.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home