Life Is Just So Daily

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

October...

Think Blue?

October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month.
It is also Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

I'm anti-breast cancer....but I'm also anti-DV.

Sooooooooo.....many are thinking pink this month. While I hope to save the ta-tas like many others, I have to support the Domestic Violence Awareness Month too.

Did you know....

One out of five women and one out of fourteen
men has been physically assaulted by an
intimate partner at sometime in their life.

Lack of income is a common reason victims
cite for staying in abusive relationships.

The costs of domestic violence exceed 4.1 billion
dollars per year in direct medical and mental
health care services.

Researchers estimate that 8% of the female
population are subjected to physical
violence during their pregnancy.

Up to 50% of adolescent mothers
experience intimate partner violence before,
during, or just after their pregnancy.

*******cited from www.ncadv.org

So...there you go. October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month.

3 Comments:

At 9:00 PM , Blogger misguidedmommy said...

k good, so i'm not totally out of my mind and the page really is different..phew

 
At 4:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you made us aware. This is a very important issue that needs to be mentioned.

 
At 8:10 PM , Blogger Kate said...

Thanks for posting this. I think it's important to remember that men and boys are also victims of physical violence. I try to convince my students that violence is never a good idea. Sure, boys need to know to never hit a girl, but what about girls who need to know to never hit (or otherwise abuse) their man? Or child or...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home