Life Is Just So Daily

Thursday, September 20, 2007

SW Policy=SNL's Debbie Downer.

I have a test in my policy class tonight.
Um...I just got the text 2 days ago b/c the book store was out of them, they had to order, there was a delay in the shipping, other stores I went to did not have them...etc. So, here I am, the day of the test, with 6 chapters to read in one book, and 7 in another.

And, it's completely depressing. Not only is my procrastination this semester shocking & nauseating, but the information in this class is just so....depressing.

Not to mention the fact that I hate going to class. This is for many reasons:
(1) some of the people in my class are idiots, and will spend 20 minutes trying to understand whether or not they need a header on their paper, etc. etc....they get lost in the details & the next thing you know, I'm sitting in class imagining their heads floating up toward the ceiling like little helium balloons, and it's 20 minutes later.
(2) some of the people in my class are idiots, and yes, I realize that point #1 & point #2 seem very much the same. Here's my ellaboration for point #2: we had to do a participation type exercise...and I am one of the more outspoken persons in the class. So, I am up there with 4 other women, and we're supposed to show where we fall on a continuum about self-determination for children. Every single one of them was standing at the very end where kids need to be protected & nurtured, and have no say in this & that...yada, yada, yada. Well, I was not at the complete other side, but I certainly was somewhere in the middle, closer to the "protect & nurture" side than 50%. Anyway.....they were all asked to say why they stood where they stood. Then I was asked to do the same. I brought up two scenarios (of many), where I think input from children is valuable, &/or children should have the right to make their own decisions. And in this case, "child"=less than 18 years old. So, one of my examples was consent for medical treatment related to their sexual health. So, I explained all of that....and one girl said, "Well, if their parents raised them right, they wouldn't need that." She went on to say that she has 3 kids, and IF they were going to be sexually active, they know that they can come to her & she would get them on the pill. So, I asked their ages...they're teenagers, and the oldest is like 19...I asked, (since we have a night class) where they were. "I know where they are. They're at home." I said something to the fact that she "THINKS" they are at home, and she "THINKS" they aren't having sex, but she doesn't KNOW. Of course she argued w/ me, thinking I was calling her dtrs sluts, or something. I wasn't.
So...anyway. THANK GOODNESS HER DAUGHTERS CAN GO & GET THEIR OWN MEDICAL TREATMENT RELATED TO THEIR SEXUAL HEALTH, b/c although she may say that she would get her girls on the pill, yada, yada....the very first statement out of her mouth when I brought this subject up was judgemental ("if their parents raised them right....").

Ugh.
And sometimes I sit in there & think, "this is the future of SW right here."
And, I know that I am by no means perfect. I know that there is soooooooo much that I don't know. I just lack patience sometimes.

Anywho...wish me luck on my test tonight.
I sooooo don't want to go.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 1:29 PM , Blogger susraff said...

Ok - that chick in point #2 is living in a bubble. She has NOOO clue about the real world - has she even worked as a social worker yet?

 
At 6:55 PM , Blogger Elaine said...

GOOD LUCK!!! This is coming in late but I'm still sending good thoughts :)

And uggggghhh I understand about idiots. There are many in my masters classes, and we are TEACHERS for crying out loud!

 
At 7:05 PM , Blogger Kate said...

Forgive me for laughing, but I've so been in that class before. And the idiot who gave an HOUR-LONG presentation where he kept repeating "Bloom's Tax-uh-NO-my" I am still wondering why the professor didn't stop him. Or provide the rest of us with shots.

That woman is so typical. If kids were raised right... Hopefully her daughters went to Planned Parenthood on their own. I am so laughing at you saying what you did and then her getting all huffy like you're calling her kids sluts. No, just kids. Without supervision.

Spending time with colleagues can be so depressing sometimes. In my case, it's educators who can't string together a semi-coherent sentence. I fear for the future of America.

 
At 7:40 PM , Blogger Love said...

the ironic thing about "if parents raised them right" is that when she says "right" she means in a way that usually DOES end up somehow unsafe sexually or at planned parenthood.

because the "right" she's thinking of shames them and they either end up not knowing true facts or seeking them out from great places like PP.

hope your test went well!! =)

 
At 9:48 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know you took your test already but I hope it went well.

UGH! I so don't get when people use that phrase "if parents raised them right". Were are the rules for right and wrong parenting? I'd sure like to know.

I'm sure I'll write a whole post on this soon

 
At 6:45 PM , Blogger Mojavi said...

yea- when I was getting my MBA I was amazed by the amount of idiots in my class.... It amazes me how people are simply STUPID!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home