Life Is Just So Daily

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Itty Bitty Polka-Dotted-Baby.

So......

My baby has a raging case of the polka-dots:
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
*******please note, the above photo was taken from photobucket, and is not my child. However, from what I've heard today----the polka dots are very much the same.

Story: I put jammies on Gage last night. He goes to bed.
Let me back up.......for the past 3 days, Gage has hardly eaten ANYTHING at all. We're talking a few tastes of "chockit puddin'" & about a tablespoon of ketchup. In 3 days. But---he's been chewing a lot on toys & sippy nipples....and he's not dehydrated (normal urine color & smell, voids frequently, drinks a ton, etc.) He's just been refusing solids. I've wasted a ton of food over the past 3 days just trying to get him to eat something....anything! Hell, I gave him M&Ms last night that are still in the back of one of his little trucks in the living room. The child would not eat CANDY. But, I chalked it up to teething.

Last night---put his jammies on, diaper change, went to bed.
Around 2am, he woke up. I figured he was hungry b/c he hadn't been eating much solid food. Gave him a sippy of warm milk with rice cereal. Rocked in his nursery. Changed his diaper. Back into the crib. About 30 minutes later, he was crying again. He wanted more milk & wanted to go to the couch. So, my husband got up with him---met his needs & wants, and they relocated to the couch. Damon said that he fell asleep about 5 minutes after they got to the couch. This morning, he was back up at 5:30....acting fine. I did NOT notice polka-dots all over him.

I had to work this am, so I took Gage to the MIL's (mother in law's). Before I even got out of the door, he said, "bottle miiiiilk. Gage go night-night agin. Mommy baby bed." He laid it all out there for me. MIL got him some milk, I took his shoes off, and laid him in the crib at her house. He wanted to go back to sleep.

A little while later, he was up & they had to run to the store. While at the store, Linda noticed some bumps behind his ears....then around his belly, and within minutes his legs had bumps on them & so they left the store. She called me @ work, but I wasn't at my desk. She didn't page me. She called my husband. He called the pediatrician's office....and here's where it gets a little f*cked up in my opinion.

SOMEONE at the Pedi office told my family that it could be: (1) chicken pox (2) measles or (3) hives.
Regardless of which 3, they did NOT want us to bring Gage to the office for fear of spreading the illness.
Mmmmkay. I get that. I don't want to get a bunch of kids sick either. But....um, AREN'T YOU A FUCKING DOCTOR'S OFFICE?
Anyway....at THAT time they instructed my MIL to give him liquid Benadryl every 6 hours. So she did. She was also instructed to "watch his breathing, to make sure his airway doesn't close from swelling". MMMMkay, again.

So........I call the Pediatrician's office.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Let me begin by saying that a physician's office is only as good as their receptionist.
I left a message to speak with the nurse. She called back 24 minutes later. (that's fine, she had an hour to get back with me....) She & I had a pretty lengthy discussion about the following:
1) What MAY be going on with my child & what leads her to suspect &/or dismiss each of the 3 that she listed (chicken pox, measles, & hives).
2) Possible causes of the hives, which is what Gage probably has....

....and, of course those above were not immediately discussed. We got to those topics after we cleared up the following:
* What role I expect that Pediatrician's office to play in the life of Baby Gage. Not only are they there to maintain his health & wellness, but when he is sick---they damn well better treat him.
* In the future, when they tell me that they do not want my child at their office, they need to make other arrangements to see him. If that means they send someone for a housecall, so be it. If they are not comfortable with that, then I'll drive up. I'll be right outside & someone can cruise on out & check out my baby's spots. This mess about Gage being "too contagious"....I understand that they don't want it to spread---and I don't either. But I also don't want to treat my child for something that he doesn't have, or NOT treat something that he has b/c we all had some type of miscommunication while the pediatrician practices medicine over the phone.
* I am still a NEW MOM. Maybe I've had this little guy for 2 years now, but it does NOT mean that I am a pro by any stretch of the imagination. Every milestone we have, every phase we enter is new to me. I am still learning. I know that perhaps they see Moms & Dads all day long...and they treat kids all day long. What may be common place for them, is not necessarily common place for me. I expect them to be respectful of that, and patient with me.

I assure you guys----I was LIVID. I felt like my baby was sick,and they knew, but were doing nothing about it. Part of it was the frustration of the "watch & wait"...but that was not even originally discussed. It was not until I spoke with the nurse later & cleared some things up & voiced my expectations that she finally went into details about this diagnosis, and that diagnosis, and why we have to wait, etc.
So....if pustules (gee, what a yucky sounding word) form this afternoon, it is probably chicken pox. If they do not, it is probably hives. Based on the description by my MIL, they sound like hives to me (but hey, I'm no doctor!), and they sound like hives to the nurse.

Hives: not contagious. Most likely caused by an allergy to something Gage recently encountered. She asked about dietary changes. I reiterated that he has been refusing solids for a couple of days. Drinks: he drank Minute Maid Orange-ade yesterday evening. That's new for him. Topical products that are relatively new for him: switched detergents over the weekend & let him have his new Bubble Bath. (His eczema has been gone for months now, so I thought that perhaps it would be okay to try the new detergent & bubble bath....we were using ALL Free & Clear for detergent, but I bought some FABULOUS smelling Tide Lemon Verbena super concentrated stuff....and since he wanted a bubble bath, I went ahead and gave him the bottle of Mr.Bubble we'd purchased....so that was relatively new for him too).
The nurse said that we could look & look trying to figure it out, and still maybe never will know.

So....in the end, they've agreed to see him this afternoon, evening, or first thing tomorrow morning if I feel that it is necessary.
We'll see.

I'll keep you all posted on my polk-dotted baby.

Labels:

11 Comments:

At 4:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

If they didn't want him in the office they should have sent you to the ER! Allergic reactions are nothing to mess with, especially in babies!

I hope he's feeling better soon. I hope it's just hives. But, Drew had chicken pox when he was a baby and it really wasn't a big deal.

 
At 4:36 PM , Blogger Zephra said...

Zain breaks out in strange rashes several times a year. I still have no idea from what.

I agree with you about the doctors office. When Sara was 3 she started running a fever. It was pretty high, about 103. She had an appointment at the docs for her check up anyway so i took her. Fevers don't worry me too much and she seemed okay. Anyway, when the doctor came in to check her out, she started ordering tests. I thought she was overreacting a bit. I mean, it was just a fever.

Sara's fever started to get higher and was not coming down much with med so I started worrying. She check her urine and discovered she has a kidney infection. She sent me home to get a few things and then told me to check Sara into the ER. By the time i got Sara home and got her stuff, I barely wake her. I was really scared.

She was checked into the ER and then put into the PICU for 3 days, stayed 7 days in the hospital and another 7 days at home on IV fluids. Turns out she has kidney reflux meaning her bladder empties back into her kidneys. She eventually had to have surgery and is better but has a very weak bladder.

In my experience, most doctors would have dismissed the fever as a virus but her doctor is great. She never misses a thing and she has a back door for the sick ones to come in without getting around the other kids. I hope your doctors office straightens up fast. You are 100% right when you say they are only as good as th office staff.

 
At 5:08 PM , Blogger Christy said...

Pediatrician offices are insane. Of course they need to see your baby - regardless of whether he is contagious or not. I would definitely take him in.

 
At 5:17 PM , Blogger Terri@SteelMagnolia said...

Yes, it's very frustrating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


We had a nurse refused to fill an antibiotic Matthew takes every single day for two years now...
(for his kidney reflux)..
come to find out later... she just ASSUMED I was a mom just wanting an anitbiotic for a cold or something... INSTEAD OF LOOKING AT HIS FILE...

She had the shock of her life when I called the doctors cell phone
(he's my pal)

he called in a prescription 5 minutes later...

 
At 6:30 PM , Blogger shoeaddict said...

Oh, that would make me so mad! It doesn't even matter if you had 10 kids because if something different or strange happens to you, your child, your spouse, etc you expect your doc to help you, right?

I hope Baby Gage is OK. Please let us know.

 
At 6:43 PM , Blogger Judy said...

Keep us posted on Mr. Gage!

I would be livid, too. Good for you for standing up to them. They need to hear things like that. It is the only way they can change what they do for the better!

 
At 9:14 PM , Blogger Pokey Puppy said...

Okay seriously.. i think we could be best friends.. i could have writen this post myself.. omg.. i could go on and on and on about how i agree. but i'll leave it at that.

hope gage feels better

oh my dsl has been out for a week and while doing my rounds this evening you totally reminded me why yours is a "must visit daily regardless" blog. Love your blogs!

 
At 9:35 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor poor baby Gage....

I hope he feels better soon..

As for the doctors office, I changed pediatricians due to the lack of "personality" (lack of a nicer word) of both the receptionist and the crappy doctor.

If you are uncomfortable even just once, think about it.

Hope you are all okay!!!

 
At 7:21 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Wow. We had that happen with Jack when he was younger and he had spots appear on his stomach. They had my husband bring him around to the back door of the clinic and straight into a room, so he was isolated from any kids at the clinic. Turned out to be a skin reaction, like Gage.

 
At 9:36 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor baby Gage! I'm so glad you put them in their place, what else are parents supposed to do when they kids come down with something. You guys were smart to call ahead. I would have just walked right in there.

I hope he gets better soon! Let us know!

 
At 8:16 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh my gosh! that's awful! and i can't believe the doc's office was like that!

Zander had something similar happened a few weeks ago. it was pretty scary...and it happened at the doc's office! he was covered in hives within 30 minutes of getting there...his ears were swelled to 3 times their normal size. it took more than 30 hours for them to calm down, even with the Benadryl we were giving him every 4 hours. the only thing he came in contact with that would make a reaction like that was a small piece of walnut on the waiting room floor (who brings nuts to a doc's office that looks after infants and young children????).

we're having him tested for nuts...but we have to wait until he's 30 months, so January!

man, kids scare the hell out of you sometimes!

hope Gage is all better!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home