Life Is Just So Daily

Friday, April 27, 2007

The Face of a Fit.

Well....around our house...fits are liable to erupt at any moment over any little teeny-tiny thing.

Welcome to Hell...I mean, toddler-hood.

So...last night, what happened?
Well, don't ask me the cause b/c I sure as heck don't know...but, we had a major melt-down in the living room, that lasted 20 minutes, easily. And by 20 minutes, I mean it felt like 20 hours!

For those who are currently pregnant or have yet to experience the fit-phase....let me just say, during a fit, your child may not want you to touch him, look at him, or even breathe near him. And any attempt to console your child may increase screaming, crying, body thrusting, and kicking.

Again....it's tons of fun.

It's kind of like a min-hurricane.
It can be brewing for hours, and suddenly storm in, complete with water works, things flying, all hell breaking lose & just spinning out of control in general.


...and then, when it's lost all of the power & energy...it can be very calm & peaceful, and over.

And so---This is for my son. When you grow up, and have your children...and they throw fits...I want you to be able to look back over this & know--you did the same thing! This is my photographic documentation of last night's fit:


It started on the couch...was the couch the problem? the blanket? perhaps Mommy gave you the wrong color sippy cup?? who knows!


And then you moved to floor. It's a shame that I didn't get video to adequately capture the kicking & screaming. But look at those little eyes. So frustrated by something. And I tried desperately to figure out what it was...


Then you started to run out of steam. You were so tired, which we all know likely contributed to the fit in the first place...


And then it was over. We survived another Hurricane Gage.
And things were calm and quiet until you fell asleep.

...and despite all of the fits in the world...and despite how frustrated we BOTH get during the fits...I love it that you come to me for comfort. I love it that you TRY so very hard to tell me what you need or want. And I know that very soon...you will be able to say so many more things, and hopefully we can cut down on some of the fits when you are better able to verbally communicate!

...so hang in there! Your mommy is trying!!!!

Labels:

10 Comments:

At 11:39 AM , Blogger Jamie said...

Oh that's brutal. And that face!

Poor guy... my toddler acts differently when she is tired too.

Or, like you said, maybe he wanted the blue cup? :)

 
At 12:51 PM , Blogger Maria said...

Yeah. i recognized that "I-am-so-tired-and-why-can't-I-stop-crying? look.

It's usually on MY face, though....

 
At 1:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gah. I hate it when that happens. And I usually end up making it worse by trying to help. Fortunately once my boys acquired language and could tell me the issue it got somewhat better. At least now I can figure out the issue!

 
At 4:00 PM , Blogger Mojavi said...

ok that was soooo sweet. I love the pic of you either kissing or just touching his head with your lips... made me tear up :)

 
At 11:54 AM , Blogger Shauna Loves Chocolate said...

Love the post. Yes, life with kids is full of smiles and tears. And lots of hugs and kisses.

 
At 4:28 PM , Blogger Bre said...

I can't wait for that stage... right now I am just enjoying my five day old little one but it won't be long before he will be a screaming toddler too:) thanks for the congragulations you posted on my blog!!

 
At 7:37 AM , Blogger Heidi said...

My son is 3 and I still have trouble figuring out the problem at times.
Thanks for the reminder it was time for a new post. I mentioned you in my new post. Check it out.

 
At 7:41 PM , Blogger Papa Bradstein said...

Mmm. So much to look forward to. Right now, 3B's going through a little, "If you're not my mommy, I don't trust you" phase. Charming.

 
At 5:57 PM , Blogger Reid said...

Poor little Gage. Don't you love it when not only doesn't want YOU or anything to do with you, but gets really angry because at the same time, he WANTS YOU. (I hate you, don't leave me, ya know?)

 
At 2:26 PM , Blogger S said...

We've just entered the fit phase...if JuniorMint has the temper of me - well, all hell is going to break loose.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home