Life Is Just So Daily

Monday, March 12, 2007

Lunch.

So I walked over & grabbed some lunch.
good food, good service. it was fine.

Go to check out.
Lady at the register: "Are you really tipping her that much? That's over 100% of your bill."
[me, a bit perturbed at her watching me sign the debit card receipt, and finding it a bit rude to announce to everyone what I'm doing with my own freaking money, but impressed with her quick math skills, given the fact that she lacked tact, or even common courtesy with regard for my desire to have a bit of privacy when tipping]
Me: silence. I just looked at her.
Lady at the register: "Do you know ___name of waitress here__?"
Me: "No, but I know what it's like to be 31 weeks pregnant, on your feet all day, and thinking about all of the things you want to buy for your new baby."

Here's the kicker...my tip was only $10.00.
What will that buy? Almost a pack of diapers.
A whole pack if you find them on sale.
A crib sheet.
Some bottles.
Some wipes.
(not all of those things together, of course!)

My waitress' section was almost empty. Was the lunch rush gone? Were they giving her an easier section in the back of the restaurant b/c she is pregnant? Who knows. Does she pull in higher tips because she is visibly pregnant? I don't know.
But I know that the last two months of my pregnancy, I was miserably huge.
I know that I worried about money & paying the hospital bills & getting everything that I needed for the baby.
I know that she can't possibly make a TON of money as a waitress. And I hope that ten bucks helps her.

8 Comments:

At 1:50 PM , Blogger amyerj said...

Good for you - and shame on the cashier. I waited tables 100 years ago and I love to occasionally throw $10 or $15 at a nice waitress off a $7 meal. I don't do it often enough, now that I think about it. Just got debt free and have lots of bonus $ left over. I'll be sure and spread the love as soon as possible.

Loved the ski story, looks like you guys had fun!

 
At 2:08 PM , Blogger Auntie Tipper said...

From someone who has waited tables pregnant, or who has waited tables to support/supplement income for two toddlers: BLESS YOU! Often it isn't the servers choice to work smaller/slower sections (We need all the money we can get). It is usually the manager (liability) or the Doctor (safety). In my experience, working a popular restaraunt in a M-F Lunch rush Dallas area-- no one really cared about the server personally. The only ones who cared were those that were pregant, or who had small children. On behalf of all servers everywhere THANK YOU!. Regardless of the situation, a server is always encouraged by a large tip. Love, Tipper

 
At 2:11 PM , Blogger Justice Fergie said...

aww that was so nice of you! it's the little gestures...

 
At 4:07 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's wonderful! You know you probably made her day.

 
At 5:53 PM , Blogger Nanny said...

great post.

 
At 8:23 PM , Blogger Andie D. said...

I was a server in college, and let me tell you, every freakin' dollar counts! You probably made her day!

P.S. When I was a starving student I used to dream about winning the lottery. I'd take my winnings and put up public service announcements teaching people HOW TO FREAKIN' TIP.

 
At 5:25 AM , Blogger hellomelissa said...

that was really generous, even if it was only 10 bucks! it may have made all the difference in her day.

 
At 7:34 AM , Blogger MamaMichelsBabies said...

The utter rudeness of that hostess is just disgusting, for trying to talk you out of it, and for making such a public announcement of the tip. Perhaps, hopefully, the people near you realize what a witch that poor girl is working with and up their tips in response. Your a better woman then I.. I would have embarrassed anyone with me by asking her exactly how much is to much toilet paper to wipe with, since she seems so willing to help. That would have shut her trap.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home