Life Is Just So Daily

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

My nephew, Riley, died today.



That picture was taken at his second birthday just a couple of months ago.

Tonight, around 7pm, my aunt stopped by my house. Pleasant surprise, I thought. But, actually--she came to give me the bad news, and apparently nobody wanted me to hear it over the phone, or be alone when I heard it. They didnt know if Damon was home from work or not.

It's been on the news (I've been told), and ruled an accident thus far. Apparently, during naptime, Riley went outside & locked himself in the car. He was found a couple of hours later when my brother-in-law went to wake him & his brother from their nap. He wasnt in his room, and so my brother-in-law went outside and found him in the car, locked in, sitting in his carseat. He was just sitting there--& looked like he was sleeping. My sister said they called 911 around 3 or 3:30 when they found him....but it was too late.

My sister said that they did not take Riley to a hospital & attempt to resusitate him, because paramedics were unable to do anything at the scene. My sister said that there were news crews everywhere. She said that they put Riley in a bassinet & covered him with a blanket before transporting him to the ME's office.

Services will be this weekend.

I just feel so awful. I cant bear to think about him taking his last breaths by himself. I was there in the delivery room the day that baby was born. I was there for his very first breath. My sister said that she was told by someone at the scene (medical personnell--a police officer--I dont know) that he likely died in his sleep. Apparently, you get so hot & get sleepy & then just go to sleep. Is this true?? I dont know. I'd like to believe it, just as my sister would.

So, everyone--keep us all in your prayers. We all need the strength to get through this. And, tomorrow--I have to go to my grandparents house to tell them. They dont know yet. Things were so crazy tonight--spending time with my sister, & my mom came into town...I just couldnt bring myself to go tell them at 11:30 at night, you know? And it's not something to tell them over the phone....

So anyway--pray for us. And remember Baby Riley...

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 7:24 AM , Blogger Jeanie said...

Hi, just came across you blog by accident. My heart goes out to you and your family. Especially your sister in the loss of Riley. I just can't imagine the kind of heartache you all must be feeling at this time. I realize that there are no real words of comfort, but wanted you to know that I will be praying for all of you and also for a safe delivery of your baby.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home