Life Is Just So Daily

Friday, June 14, 2013

Feeding E....

So, I haven't blogged about feeding Elle, or her weight, or any of those things yet. {Yes, Gage and I sometimes call her "Elle" as opposed to "Ellie," but Daddy does NOT. So, around here, she's either "Elle" or "Eliette," and "E" in text/written form...}

Anyhow...
Eliette was born at 6 lb. 12 oz. She quickly got down to 6 lb. 1 oz, and that's when they encouraged formula.
:(
Sad, but the same thing happened with Gage. He was given a bottle...
This time around, they offered the "SNS" tube feeding system instead. It stands for Supplemental Nursing System. It's a syringe or bottle that contains formula, with a small tube that you put into the baby's mouth at the breast. Feeding this way, Eliette could keep nursing, but she could take in some additional calories from the formula while nursing. The way the Lactation Nurse and Pediatrician explained it to us: she was spending more calories trying to nurse and sustain herself each day than she was taking in without the additional calories from the formula.

The set up, ready to roll...


So...we gave it a whirl. Let me tell you---it was not easy! It took 3 people in the beginning, and then we got it down to 2....but it wasn't something I was able to do by myself! Hubby and Mamasita both mastered the art of assisting me, and I am soooooo grateful!

Feeding E....



(No, I'm not weirded out by posting breastfeeding pictures. Yes, she was TINY.)

Birth weight: 6 lb 12 oz
Down to: 6 lb 1 oz
D/c weight: 6 lb 3 oz (4 days old)
Final hospital weigh in:
 (Aside from her birth weight, all of her weight checks were done in a clean, dry diaper.)

Weight at first outpatient weight check (6 days old): 6 lb 9 oz
Weight at second outpatient weight check (12 days old): 7 lb
Weight at third outpatient weight check (21 days old): 8 lb 4 oz
Yaaaay!

We used the SNS system for the first....maybe 10 days. I can't believe I've forgotten now, but I think it was about days.... We don't need it any longer. She's nursing like a champ, and putting on weight just like she should!

Her other issue: slight jaundice.
Eh....we set her in the window once we were home.
:)
Bilirubin level upon dc from the hospital: 11.5
Bilirubin level at the first outpatient appointment (6 days old): 11.4
Bilirubin level at the second outpatient appointment (12 days old): 8 something...
Working on getting that bili level down:

She was chilling in the window with the sun shining in.... Sweet girl. I can't believe she's 4 weeks old now as I'm typing this!
I'm sooooo behind on blogging!



Labels:

2 Comments:

At 7:52 PM , Blogger Hester 5 said...

She's a cutie!! :) I can't believe that I had a baby bigger than your 1 month old come out of me!!!! :) I love her and I cannot wait to get my hands on her! SOON!!!!!

 
At 2:38 PM , Anonymous misguided mommy said...

I just love her. Love love love. Love the name too. Sniffle, I want a little girl. Again, just so very excited for you

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home