Life Is Just So Daily

Sunday, June 22, 2008

Two Malls, Two Days....

Well, yesterday after the baby shower & after naptime...we all headed up to Northpark for a little fun...


Gage's favorite spot: The Puzzle Zoo store.
They have this Thomas the Train table.
Good times...you know, when you're a 2 year old little boy.
So, since he likes it so much....we start to think about maybe buying some of this Thomas stuff---erecting it all on the Blue & white table & putting it in his room.
Now, I don't know if maybe the stuff was overpriced b/c it was at this hoity-toity specialty shop at Northpark, or if it's that overpriced everywhere...but ONE little wooden Thomas engine was $19.95. It's a block of wood on wheels. A twenty dollar block of wood on wheels? Are you f*cking kidding me?
So...then I am looking at all of this other stuff. You could spend a FORTUNE making this Thomas table like they have. If you buy these kits/sets that they already have bulked together, you get more bang for your buck than just buying each individual car, but STILL.
TWENTY DOLLARS FOR ONE LITTLE F***ING 2 INCH TRAIN.

Anyway....being the sucker that I am---No, I didn't buy it yesterday...but I'm thinking about doing a table for his birthday. I'm certainly going to shop around before I go buying all of that stuff from THAT store. I have to say---Gage is content to play right there at the table for as long as I will let him. He's easily spent 20-30 minutes there in the store just playing...having a good ol' time.

We also looked at art, and worked on identifying our colors...


And of course, there was much sliding...


Grabbed a quick bite at Chik-fil-A, and left the mall.
:)

Then...today, got a call from Tera.
Aubri was going stir-crazy couped up in the house, but it's toooooo hot to head to the park...
So, we met them at Starbucks in Town East. We sipped coffee & the kiddos got to play in the play area...


And...I picked up some contacts while we were there...and then we hit American Eagle. Fun Times.... Short Lived though...both kids were aching for an afternoon nap, so we were gone for about 2 hours total. Not too long at all. The play area was of course not as clean as we'd like, and overcrowded b/c it's a weekend....

But, we did hit Two Malls in Two Days. You know that makes me happy.....

Labels: ,

17 Comments:

At 2:47 PM , Blogger Kate said...

I'm with you about the train. For $20.00 it should be mechanical and able to put itself away and have a few more neat tricks.

 
At 3:39 PM , Blogger shoeaddict said...

It's expensive for Thomas stuff. Muffin loooooves him. I love when you put Gage pics because he is so cute!!!

PS- Did I tell you that I love your house, too? I wanna see more pics of the inside!! Where do you live? Do I already know this info? Sorry, I'm an idiot right now...
xoxo

 
At 4:16 PM , Blogger Judy said...

We paid $16 for the Lights and Sounds Thomas - a "regular" Thomas is around $12 here. Look at kindertrains.com - they're having a sale, I think and I buy a lot from them.

Also, check out your local Craigslist - we got our table on there for $15 and it is GREAT. I also bought the huge roundhouse on eBay for $18 a few years ago - it was a store display model but in great shape and an excellent investment, especially after two boys!

$20 is a wee bit too much.

Another thought - go to dayoutwiththomas.com and click on "events" at the bottom - Toys R Us is doing an "event" next Saturday, and the railroad in Rusk will host A Day Out With Thomas in October!!!! We've done the Day Out thing with both boys - truly a memorable experience!

There's a Thomas movie coming out next month in select theaters, and it looks like Hurst might get it - so keep an eye out for that.

And, be on the lookout for local train shows. We get about 3 of them a year, and there is ALWAYS a Thomas booth with at least 30% off list price!

 
At 7:59 PM , Blogger Papa Bradstein said...

Amen about Thomas. He's worse than that greedy mouse in Orlando and Anaheim.

Also, a belated Happy Birthday! from all of us. Sorry we missed it, but things have been, well, routine, which means crazy.

Also, I can't see any pictures in, like, the last three or four posts. All I get is red squares.

 
At 8:33 PM , Blogger Blinds said...

You must have some saintly patience. I can't even handle one mall by myself on the weekends!

 
At 8:37 PM , Blogger Zephra said...

Look on craigs list. You can also buy the no name train from toys are us and he will get the same pleasure. Just throw in a few Thomas trains extra.

 
At 8:38 PM , Blogger Zephra said...

Oh good. I thought I was the only one seeing red squares.

 
At 10:57 PM , Blogger Awesome Mom said...

Thomas is a slippery slope. We got our train table used off of Craig's list and bought generic track for it. Michaels carries Thomas stuff and offers regularly in the newspaper a %40 of coupon. That helps a lot in cutting down the price of it all. Check out yard sales too, sometimes you can really score big at them.

You might consider getting him the take along series that you can find much cheaper at places like Target. They are metal and will last longer than the wooden ones that get chipped when kids throw them (don ask me how I know that lol).

 
At 7:40 AM , Blogger Lainey-Paney said...

The red squares?
Someone once posted that they only get red squares when they enter the page from bloglines or google reader...pages like that. But, if you enter from the "http://lifeisjustsodaily.blogspot.com" in the address bar, then the pics show up.

It's probably b/c I code the pics in from snapfish rather than from the blogger tool page....

 
At 7:42 AM , Blogger Lainey-Paney said...

Looked on Craigslist. Maybe some stuff to go that route.
Yes, I've found a website that talks about all of the different wooden tracks that are compatible with the Thomas series. So, that'll be good.

And thanks for the tips about "A Day with Thomas" in Rusk (I've actually BEEN on that train ride in Rusk when I was in middle school!), and to look at Michael's. They have some great newspaper coupons, so that would be a great place to consider purchase!

 
At 1:05 PM , Blogger Stephanie said...

A little boy I used to babysit had one of those tables and he LOVED it and we played with it constantly. Thomas the Train is definitely expensive... The pictures are cute. He is such a happy little boy!

 
At 2:14 PM , Blogger Stefanie said...

Can't go wrong with two malls in two days!

 
At 2:47 PM , Blogger tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

My husband actually made our son a train table. (and he is NOT MR. HANDY. Not at all!) Much cheaper. I painted it white and obnoxiously bright green and voila! A train table. Also, we made it the size we wanted which was a bit taller and longer. And MUCH sturdier.

I am with the other ladies when I say Ebay and Craigslist for the trains and tracks. At least to get him started. The fancier pieces are SUPER expensive. Mainly get lots of curvy pieces and Y pieces.And might I suggest buying MORE track than you think you need. Trust me, many a day was spent with me swearing because I just couldn't get the track to connect. I ended up going out and buying extra pieces simply to make myself feel better!

 
At 7:30 PM , Blogger Hester 5 said...

When is Gage's birthday?

 
At 12:49 AM , Blogger Barrie said...

Does it have to be Thomas? Would he be happy with a wooden train set? I think Thomas has been expensive forever.

 
At 7:30 AM , Blogger Mighty Morphin' Mama said...

Yeah, the Thomas stuff is pricey. We now have quite a collection, but we have built it over years and finding good deals. I would check Toys r us, as they carry it too, and may have slightly better prices.
I can't see your photos today, not sure why.

 
At 7:45 AM , Blogger zirelda said...

Oh when Rach gets back we're going to Colorado Springs and hit the mall. I can't wait!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home