Life Is Just So Daily

Thursday, June 05, 2008

Mom Job Description: Being Sneaky....

Okay, so I didn't so much think about part of my job description as a mom as "being sneaky," but alas, I find myself doing just that in order to trick my son into taking his medicine.

So, he likes the grape Dimetapp cough syrup.
The white, chalky Augmentin suspension---not so much.

My friend, Susan, can attest to the fact that I have a particularly difficult time finding JUST THE RIGHT SPOT in his little mouth to force him to take the liquid medicine. She's a pediatrician, so she's had a ton more practice at it than I have! But, she witnessed the horror that is my little man's body thrashing fit when he does not want to take medicine.

Anyway....after tasting the medicine myself last night, I thought: Not so bad. Kind of a...strawberry taste. I thought Gage might be down with it.

I was wrong.





Yes, poor Gage had medicine ALL over all of us after he repeatedly spit it out.

But today...I got a little wiser. A little sneakier...
I mixed his one teaspoon with a tad of Dimetapp....just enough to make the Augmentin appear a light purple color. And of course I don't let Gage watch me mixing it all up. So, I tell him that it is time to take the "Purple Medicine", and he's totally on board. He never sees the Augmentin bottle, and the Dimetapp Bottle is the only one he sees.

I'm so sneaky.
He's taken both of his doses today without incident.

The above photos were taken after an attempt at Augmentin Dose #1, and just prior to his bath.

After that, he wanted to sleep on his sleeping bag in his room. It wasn't bedtime yet, but he wanted to lay down.... Poor buddy.





And so...after he fell asleep there, we scooped him up & brought us into bed with us. (He's siiiiiiiiiiiiiick. Of course I want him to sleep with me....)

Around One something in the morning, we were up for fever reducer.
At 5:20, I woke up with this warm sensation on my stomach. It was HIS FEET. He had his little feet pressed up against my tummy & they were hot enough to wake me up. As I was feeling him down for fever, he woke up & asked for a drink. So, we got up & went to the kitchen for a drink and another dose of fever reducer.

Today----no fever. I've been giving him the fever reducer at about 6 hour intervals to keep it at bay, but 5:20 this morning was really the last time today that he's had any fever. You can tell in his behavior today though that he has waves of feeling well, and then not feeling well. He's been moody & demanding...and then the next thing you know he's pleasant & snuggly.

We laid in bed for a full hour today watching Tom & Jerry. I could have laid there all day.
:)

Labels:

14 Comments:

At 6:49 PM , Blogger Judy said...

Glad today turned out a little better than yesterday! Let's hope tomorrow continues the trend!

 
At 7:13 PM , Blogger Hester 5 said...

My kid must be weird...she LOVES medicine...actually asks for it. She loves Dimetapp, Motrin and loved, let's see...Augmentin, Omnicef, Zithromycin, and Amoxicillin...loves them all!! =) I hope that this doesn't mean we will need intervention early in life! I am glad no fever today and hope that the little guy feels super tomorrow!!

 
At 9:41 PM , Blogger Chris H said...

Ewwwww to that medicine all over poor Gage! Hope he's coming right by now, poor kid.

 
At 10:22 PM , Blogger Aubs said...

Poor lil guy! Gotta love the medicine wars.....glad to hear he is atleast feeling better some of the time! Hopefully tomorrow he will be feeling ALL better!! =)

 
At 4:00 AM , Blogger Beth said...

The meds are finally kicking in - what a relief for all!
That first picture? You just want to pick him up and hug him - messy face and all.

 
At 4:23 AM , Blogger Tanya said...

Aww, poor guy! I hope he's better today. When they are sick, nothing else in the world matters until they are better, does it? He's a cutie!

 
At 6:47 AM , Blogger Zephra said...

First i love Tom and Jerry. That little mouse rocks.

Second, This is how I do the med thingy, put the medicine in the little squirty syringe thingy (medical term) and put it in the back of his mouth. Quickly squirt, pull the syringe out and close his mouth quickly. It usually forces them to swallow. I alway have good luck that way.

Luckily you seem to have found a good way to get it down but keep my way i mind for the future.

 
At 8:32 AM , Blogger Laura said...

Poor little man. Hope he feels better soon.

When my hubby is home he takes the kids and holds thm upside down and in goes the meds...when it is just me...looks like Gage did!!!

 
At 10:35 AM , Blogger Kate said...

Poor buddy. I hope he's feeling better.

Good for you for finding a way to trick him into taking the yucky chalky medicine. You just did what you had to do. =)

 
At 11:27 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

In this case sneaky is TOTALLY acceptable. I hope little buddy gets better soon!

 
At 2:57 PM , Blogger Mighty Morphin' Mama said...

Oh goodness, how sad does he look in his little bed?! I am glad you were able to trick him with the meds, none of mine would let me trick them. lot's of messes.

 
At 6:13 PM , Blogger angie said...

Poor little guy!! I hope he is feeling much better! I'm having to catch up on all your blogs so I hope you don't mind the 50 million comments you get today :)

 
At 11:20 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This blog talks about lifestyle of different people living in different countries of Asia. This blog discuss about how they survive? What they eat, wear? And much moreā€¦

 
At 1:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

lifeisjustsodaily.blogspot.com; You saved my day again.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home