Life Is Just So Daily

Sunday, April 13, 2008

It was bound to happen...



As a child, I was bossy.
I know this.
Now, maybe...okay, yes, I'm probably still bossy.

As a mom, I would say that I give Gage a lot of room to play, explore, etc. Some would say that he runs about, rules the roost, gets away with murder when Mommy's on duty....okay, my own mother would even tell you that...I'm not so much of a disciplinarian. I somehow rationalize his behavior, or justify it, thinking, "oh, he just wants to play with this for a little while"....

But, I've been working on that.
I have been working on sticking to my word when I say things like, "If you do that again, you are going to sit in Time Out."
And, I've been working on letting my No mean No.
It's HARD!

And yesterday, I used a phrase that I have never said before. A phrase that I just wasn't used to using because I was used to providing lengthy explanations as to why the answer was No....but yesterday, "Because I said so" snuck out. And it worked. I mean, he was still mad because he wanted to play outside but we needed to be inside...yada yada yada. But, he quickly got over it and we moved on.

So...um, how long does this whole "because I said so" thing work anyway????

Labels:

16 Comments:

At 2:25 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Because I said so, only works if you stick to your guns. I still use it and have it work most days with my 14 yo, but I have friends who because they back down more often than the should, have 4 yo's that pretty much ignore them.

 
At 2:34 PM , Blogger Pokey Puppy said...

lol... I used that one a few months ago... lol I am wondering if that was something you said you would never say... Mine is what my dad said to us as children "Do you want me to give you something to cry about!" That is the one i swear not to say.. lol... and havent yet. But I do feel your pain.. I have the same prob sometimes with my daughter.... Hey I'll blog about it today!

 
At 5:20 PM , Blogger Christy said...

I haven't tried the "Because I said so" line. Of course, Porgie doesn't have the vocabulary to argue with me yet.

 
At 5:30 PM , Blogger Burgh Baby said...

I'm going to try very hard to never use, "because I said so." Which just means I will say it more than anything else in a few years. *sigh*

 
At 5:30 PM , Blogger Chastity said...

"Because I said so" pretty much worked on me until I moved out of my parents' house....I didn't have any choice in the matter.

 
At 6:57 PM , Blogger misguidedmommy said...

welcome to my club, i became my mom about a year ago, you are a late bloomer

 
At 6:13 AM , Blogger kimmy said...

I still use it and my kids are 8 and 6!

Kimmy

 
At 7:49 AM , Blogger Zephra said...

Well, I have been using it for almost 14 years and it is still not enough so...

Really, you HAVE to stick to it. And if it is because you said so, it is just that way. The older they are, the better they can argue with you so you have to stay strong. They will wear you down if they can.

 
At 7:59 AM , Blogger Pregnantly Plump said...

I'm sure I'll be using that phrase when Little Elvis starts understanding me more. So glad it worked!

 
At 10:38 AM , Blogger Beth said...

It works until they start with the "I'm the boss of my body" line.
(Cute picture.)

 
At 2:30 PM , Blogger Jen said...

I hope it works forever!!

 
At 2:33 PM , Blogger zirelda said...

Hasn't worked for me for a couple of years. But then I use logic with Rach and there is no logic in Because I Said So.

It is hard to stick to your guns.

 
At 4:40 PM , Blogger Aunt Becky said...

Being a stickler is hard, but trust me, it's worth it.

 
At 6:37 PM , Blogger Antropóloga said...

It's so hard to discipline them when we know they mean no harm, too!

 
At 7:27 PM , Blogger Marni's Organized Mess said...

Oh my!! You were so absolutely adorable!!

 
At 10:41 PM , Blogger Mighty Morphin' Mama said...

it is an important phrase for them to learn. They are our children and sometimes they need to obey, just because we said so. Nothing wrong with that.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home