Life Is Just So Daily

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

"Why you trippin', Boo?"

Well....today, Baby Gage took a spill. He tripped outside in the backyard on the cement. It was awful.

In fact, I am not sure if it was worse for him or for me.
I was down by the street on the other side of the fence. Hubby was sitting on the back porch while I was blowing & bagging leaves. I heard Gage screaming & crying over the sound of the blower, so I was running up to the fence while he was running down to the fence to get me. His little face was covered in blood. I couldn't exactly even see where the blood was coming from. It was in his mouth, around his teeth, going down his little chin where he'd spit it out...and it was smeared across his cheek up to his eye. So, I run around, open the gate & swoop him up, thinking that we would be headed to the Pediatrician's office or to the ER.
I look at him...and it's a cut on his lip going up off the lip & toward his cheek. It's bleeding A LOT.

So, I'm immediately on the phone with the pediatrician's office to see if they do liquid stitches in the office....

While I'm on the phone & my heart is racing & Gage is screaming, the Hubby cleaned off Gage's hands & face.

Suddenly....it didn't look so bad. In fact, it didn't even look stitch-worthy. In fact...it's ummmm....maybe a quarter of an inch long & not really deep.

Crisis averted.
And....while my brain was going 90 miles an hour & I'd say that I handled this "emergency" very well....it turned out to not really even be an emergency, and I totally over-reacted. Whatever. Hey, I'm just preparing myself for the real deal someday.

In the end---Gave him a popsicle, a bath & warm sippy of milk...then he took a nap.
What I overlooked: the scrape on his knee. That's okay. Hubby noticed it, and bandaged it all up for him. Gage has been showing us his "battle scar."

Unfortunately, naptime was short-lived because I guess he turned his head while sleeping & rubbed his face on his pillow or something...he woke up screaming & crying about his face hurting....

Poor guy. His lip is cut & his skin below his nose & on his chin are all red & scuffed up from the pavement.

:(

Labels:

22 Comments:

At 1:17 PM , Blogger Mighty Morphin' Mama said...

Aw. Poor little buddy! I am glad he is okay, your poor mommy heart must have done a few leaps!

 
At 1:55 PM , Blogger for a different kind of girl said...

Poor sweetie! Those first accidents that result in blood just tear at your gut. I'm 10 years in with them, though, and find it still tears my heart out! But oh, they are always so proud of their battlescars! Glad it didn't turn out as bad as it it seemed at first blush!

 
At 2:07 PM , Blogger Beth said...

That was undoubtedly the first of many such incidents.
Maybe (???) you overreacted but I think it's definitely good prep for the "real thing." You have to learn to act fast!

 
At 2:28 PM , Blogger Laura said...

Poor little man. Hope he feels better soon. Popsicles always help!

 
At 2:44 PM , Blogger Elaine said...

hope he heals quickly! i hate those panicked moments.

 
At 4:46 PM , Blogger Christy said...

Poor Gage and poor mommy. Porgie fell on the concrete a few months ago. She scrapped up her forehead and nose. It was very sad.

 
At 5:39 PM , Blogger Chris H said...

It's easy to panic when you see blood and hear your baby screaming mate! I have been there so many times I hate to think about it! All I can say is "get used to it" cos it will happen again... and again... and again!

 
At 6:35 PM , Blogger Judy said...

First roadrash! You took pictures for his scrapbook, right?

 
At 6:53 PM , Blogger Papa Bradstein said...

Poor little guy. Poor mom and dad too. Yikes. Hope he's feeling better soon. And that your heart rate is down below 200 soon.

 
At 7:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor little guy and poor you! I was cringing just reading that. I hope he feels better soon. It sounds like you reacted perfectly. Good job mama!

 
At 8:12 PM , Blogger Mojavi said...

Ky abit the dust today too at the nature center.... her face was covered in mud! Supid winter coat makes her really off balanced.. After cleaning her off her whole cheek is scratched..

poor babies.. sucks

 
At 8:32 PM , Blogger Pregnantly Plump said...

Ow! I think it sounds like you handled everything very well! And I'm glad that it was just a small cut. I hope heals quickly, so his face pain won't wake him up again.

 
At 10:28 PM , Blogger Awesome Mom said...

Poor kid! The face bleeds a ton, so it always looks way worse than it is.

 
At 6:17 AM , Blogger S said...

Poor guy! Glad it wasn't too bad, though that it required a trip to the ER.

 
At 6:39 AM , Blogger Just Jiff said...

Yeah, the blood would've made me move FAST!! But it's better to over-react than under-react.

:)

 
At 6:56 AM , Blogger Zephra said...

I learned the hard way that the head bleeds a lot. Between Kamran and Zakary, I have had to do a lot of patch ups and ER trips. Zakary had the most severe cuts and scraps but it was worse with Kamran because it was so new to me.

Now if I see blood, I clean it up first so I see what we are dealing with. It is usually not as bad as it looks...but I still cry while doing it.

Now you get to deal with people looking at your son and wondering what YOU did to him.

 
At 7:25 AM , Blogger Shawna said...

I have been there myself many of times. It is just horrible to see your baby in pain. He sounds like a little trooper.

 
At 11:13 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! What a scare. Thank god it was a mini-emergency. I hope he feels better soon. It's scary when you see so much blood and are not sure where it is coming from.

Hugs & Kisses for the boo boo.

 
At 1:34 PM , Blogger A Mom Two Boys said...

Poor kid! Isn't it the worst?

When Zach was 11 days old, Dylan fell down and landed on his cup, which shoved his teeth through his lip which DID require a trip to the emergency room BY MYSELF with him and a newborn. 4 stitches later we were on our way home. It was fun. Really, it was.

Hope he's recovered soon!

 
At 2:52 PM , Blogger Stephanie said...

Aw, it is so sad when they hurt themselves. I think we hurt just as much for them.

 
At 3:07 PM , Blogger Heidi said...

Poor little guy.
And I hope they find what is going on with your hus soon. Thinking of you.

 
At 3:17 PM , Blogger zirelda said...

Awwww. Poor Gage. Rach had a few of those. It not only freaks you out, but you can actually feel the pain and the hairs on your head rise....

oh boy.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home