Life Is Just So Daily

Friday, February 08, 2008

Tonight's Update...

Photobucket

Well...we're home.
We expected to get home around 1pm, but, no such luck. We got home this evening around 5 or 6.

Backup...Rewind....

Took Gage to Memaw's house around 6 this morning.
Ran by Starbucks & got a latte.
Came back to the house, and let the dog out, got Damon, rounded things up for the trip to the hospital.
Got there @ 7:15 as instructed. Ran into the doctor in the hallway; a little chit-chat, and then we had to check in.
Got checked in...labs drawn, EKG, x-rays.
Got into a room.
Waited..... And Damon's step-dad came up to be with us.
Damon fell asleep.
Then, they came & got him for surgery....we went to pre-surgical holding. Got his IV....met with the doctor....met with the anesthesiologist & surgery nurse.
They gave him the meds....and he drifted off as they wheeled him away.

Fast forward.....
Surgery's over....and he's in Recovery.
....an hour later....he's still in Recovery.
At this point, I've met with the physician, I've called some family members, I've even made a trip over to the dr's office to pick up a Rx (it wasn't ready yet, but whatever...)
So, I call to check on his status. I get a return call from his nurse in Recovery.
He's had a difficult time coming out of the anesthesia, and they were having a difficult time with pain control.
Also, the dr ordered additional CTs, so they had to take him down for the CT before bringing him back to his room.
FINALLY, around 3 he is back in the room, with a mega-headache. Here comes the pain medicine...and then comes the vomiting. Not fun.
When things settled down, he & I both fell asleep for a bit.
When he was finally able to hold down some solid food, we got to come home!

So, Damon's on Demerol.
I've explained to him a few times about what was found, what was not found, & what our next steps will be.
He's not exactly comfortable with me detailing things here on the internet, so I'm being pretty vague.
All in all: some good news, followed by some frustration.
We are still not 100% sure of the actual problem.
According to the doctor...He knew that we were dealing with "apples & oranges", but when he got in there, he found a "whole fruit salad!", representing a bunch of different problems, but none that single handedly explain the symptoms/main problem.
So, we have some answers, but not THE answer. We're at least one step closer to THE answer.

Doc should have the CT results by Monday.
We put our request in this morning for an outpatient procedure that will be the next step in finding some answers. We should hear back on Monday to see when the new test will be...and the doc said that they may be able to do it on Monday. Plus, we've been instructed to f/u with him on Monday...

Now...for a surgical funny:
Scene: Around 6am this morning...here at our house.
Hubby: What are you doing?
Me: Putting on make-up.
Hubby: Why?
Me: In case you don't make it; I want to look cute when I'm shopping for your replacement!
[okay, in MY DEFENSE, he is aware of my warp/sick/twisted sense of humor, and he was not the least bit offended.]
Hubby: Of course you are.

Thanks you guys for all of the well wishes.
We're very tired of this limbo/not knowing...but, we're certain that we're getting closer.

...and my goal for the weekend: keep him doped up on Demerol so that he can't feel a thing...and hopefully by Monday he'll be feeling somewhat better! We're basically going to get through this weekend, and our life is pretty much scheduled up until Monday. We won't really know anything new or different until Monday.

Labels:

27 Comments:

At 5:59 AM , Blogger Judy said...

I am so happy that you are at least getting some answers. HOpe the weekend is relatively pain-free for Damon and I'll keep him in my prayers.

 
At 6:08 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a good weekend, girl. Your husband and family will be in my prayers!

 
At 6:48 AM , Blogger Christy said...

This must be so frustrating. I hope you find the answer soon.

 
At 6:58 AM , Blogger Beth said...

Such a tough, frustrating time for you all. I'm glad to hear you are a little closer to the answer.
Still thinking of you - and amazed at how you manage to retain your sense of humour!

 
At 7:06 AM , Blogger Mandy said...

OH, I had demerol prior to my gall bladder being taken out... good stuff! I hope it's nothing super serious and everything works out okay!

 
At 7:15 AM , Blogger A Mom Two Boys said...

Hope he's feeling better today and that you have some REAL answers soon. REALLY SOON!

 
At 8:02 AM , Blogger Pregnantly Plump said...

I'm glad you got some answers. Hopefully Monday's appointment will bring you even more.

 
At 10:21 AM , Blogger Jenster said...

The not knowing has got to be the most frustrating thing on earth! I'm glad that things look okay, though. I just hope you have an answer ASAP!

BTW - your conversation at the end sounds like one I'd have with my husband. Sick and twisted humor is the best!

 
At 1:32 PM , Blogger Kate said...

I'm glad that's done and you can get on to the next step. I'll keep you both in my prayers this weekend and hoping for good news Monday. And keep that Demerol coming. =)

I laughed at your makeup comment. Sometimes you just have to laugh to lighten things up.

(hugs)

 
At 1:33 PM , Blogger mpotter said...

i've picked a high time to fall off the blogwagon....
i hope your husband recovers well and you continue to get answers... all good, of course!

good luck on monday.

 
At 1:57 PM , Blogger Chastity said...

Oh I hope you get some answers soon!

 
At 6:02 PM , Blogger Zephra said...

I hope it will all be good news, at least I hope you find out what you are dealing with for sure. Great joke BTW, my husband thought it was hilarious.

 
At 6:59 PM , Blogger Chris H said...

Glad that step is over and he's ok for now. Loved the story about the makeup, you are my sort of girl!

 
At 10:05 PM , Blogger Ann(ie) said...

I am late in wishing you my best. And I'm sorry. I'm so glad to hear that your hubby got out of surgery okay and you are all in my thoughts and prayers. I Love your sense of humor, btw. ;)
xo.

 
At 3:59 AM , Blogger Alice said...

i hope you find the answers you're looking for. I'm sure this is frustrating for all of you.
Thinking of you and sending well wishes your way.

 
At 4:34 AM , Blogger jennwa said...

I am sorry you did not get the answers you were looking for. But it sounds like you got a few answers and may be closer to finding the true problem.
You guys are in my thoughts and prayers.

 
At 7:15 AM , Blogger zirelda said...

Weird. He is the third person that I have heard about lately that has something wrong that they can't pinpoint. Lots of good vibes to all three of you.

 
At 2:28 PM , Blogger for a different kind of girl said...

Hopefully this is one more hurdle cleared and you get something definite to go on soon. Prayers for your family!

 
At 5:37 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope Damon is feling better. You stay strong and I will keep you in my prayers that you get your answers soon...all good NEWS I hope. BIG HUG!!!!

 
At 6:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're on your way to getting some answers. I hope your hubby is doing well.

Your family is still in my prayers.

 
At 6:59 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, what a day. Keep doing all you're doing to take care of him. He's lucky to have you!

 
At 8:35 PM , Blogger Papa Bradstein said...

Congratulations on getting through a difficult, but big, step toward getting a resolution of this. We'll be keeping you in our thoughts as you continue forward in figuring this out and recovering.

 
At 12:35 AM , Blogger Family Adventure said...

Hang in there!! It must be frustrating to not get a clear cut answer...but hopefully soon!

Hope Damon is feeling more comfortable.

Heidi

PS: Loved your funny...a bit of humour never hurt anyone.

 
At 6:51 AM , Blogger kimmy said...

Hope you get the answers you are looking for this week! Glad your husband is home - where he belongs!

Kimmy

 
At 8:33 AM , Blogger Angel said...

what a roller coaster ride you guys are on. I hope you get the answers you are looking for and that it's good news.

and pain is a sucker....

 
At 12:45 PM , Blogger Stephanie said...

I am glad that it went well and hope that with the results, I hope things are less frustrating.

 
At 11:55 AM , Blogger Burgh Baby said...

I got lost at Starbucks. I think that means I shouldn't go a day without coffee!

Glad to hear it went as well as possible. Good luck with the next few steps!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home