Life Is Just So Daily

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Back to School....

Well, I had class last night. It was the 3rd week of school, but my first class.
Why? Well, I forgot to go on week 1; week 2 was a holiday for MLK Day. So, I went last night. Boy, did I feel behind the curve!

...and, my professor. I can't yet decide if I hate him or not.
He goes soooooooooo fast. He'll say things like, "...and you were exposed to that in undergrad. If you don't remember, then look it up. Moving on..." Um....dude, my undergrad was HOW many years ago??? And, he says that, but the following stuff that flows from his lips makes NO sense until I frantically rifle through my texts to refresh my brain..."oh yeah, I remember now..."
I'm not a big fan of spoon-feeding or being read to....but at the same time, come ON!

And...I'm expected to be proficient in SPSS & SINGWIN. I am sure that I've had some SPSS in the past, but I can honestly say that I have never even heard of SINGWIN. He made it abundantly clear that this class is NOT a technology class. He will not be teaching us how to use the programs, but we are expected to use them for our 2 major projects...one of which is due 2/18. Great.
We also have to read about 8 chapters a week, and he expects them to be read between the end of class on Monday night to Friday. He expects homework questions to be emailed to him no later than midnight on Friday. but---class doesn't meet until Monday. So, that means that if you work, have a child, and attend school---unfortunately you don't have your weekends to do the work b/c he wants the stuff done by the Friday before the weekend.
OH.MY.GOODNESS.

He also does not like discussion during class. You are to speak only when you've been called upon. You can raise your hand, but do not begin speaking until he calls you by name. And yes, we all have name-tags. He then referenced some experience he had at ASU where two students got into a fist fight, and he believes that it was sparked by chaotic open forum discussion, which he will not tolerate.
At that point, my bladder was about to explode, and I had to excuse myself to go to the bathroom. I did not raise my hand, nor did I request permission. I was fully prepared to go toe-to-toe with this MOFO if he questioned my actions. I'm a grown ass woman. I will go to the restroom whenever I choose. Regardless of what he thinks.

UGH.

I've got exactly one class under my belt, and I am sooooooooooo ready for this semester to be over, already.

Labels:

19 Comments:

At 7:42 AM , Blogger Christy said...

I hate school. Seriously. I am dreading going back for my Master's degree. Ugh.

 
At 7:55 AM , Blogger Zephra said...

It is going to be a long semester...

 
At 8:45 AM , Blogger kimmy said...

I have a master's degree in Social Work and I would love to go back to school someday. I've always been interested in nursing...now where will I find the time?

Good luck!

Kimmy

 
At 9:46 AM , Blogger Mandy said...

oooh, you got an icky prof. Do you ever look them up on ratemyprofessor.com? I do that every semester before starting a class.

I think you'll be able to get through it, school is tough when you have small children driving you nuts all the time though!

 
At 10:13 AM , Blogger Sarah said...

I really wish you wouldn't talk it up so much! You're making me excited about starting back in march :)

 
At 11:22 AM , Blogger jennwa said...

I can not imagine going back to school, I feel for you. But I wish you luck.

 
At 11:43 AM , Blogger Antropóloga said...

I'm in my last semester of grad school and that class sounds so hard!

 
At 12:00 PM , Blogger Pokey Puppy said...

Ugh.. sucky.. you just took away my urge to go back thought!! Thanks since i have not the time or money to!!

BTW... tag your it.. check my blog for the details!

 
At 12:01 PM , Blogger kat said...

I was pondering going back to school but now I really don't want to anymore :). I really feel for you.

 
At 12:19 PM , Blogger Laura said...

hang in there...you can do it...one prof, a masters (is this where you are going) does not make!

I am struggling a bit with my night class, but it is not as challenging as yours...sending you lots of study and good grade vibes!

 
At 1:12 PM , Blogger Judy said...

It seems like we all get "that" professor at some time or another - hang in there - you can outlast him! Maybe he's on medication...

 
At 1:56 PM , Blogger Just Jiff said...

Well at least you only meet once a week, right? :(

Good luck with your obviously-not-a-parent-professor. He sounds like a jerk.

 
At 4:57 PM , Blogger Pregnantly Plump said...

Yuck. That sounds awful. Maybe the assignments won't be hard for you, and it won't take too much time to get them done.

 
At 5:11 PM , Blogger Beth said...

He sounds like a bit of a tyrant and somewhat of an oddball.
And what the hell is SINGWIN???
Good luck!

 
At 6:12 PM , Blogger ~melinda~ said...

i think we all had a professor like that somewhere back in time. it has been so long since i have been a student i wouldn't know what to do. i finished college twelve years ago? damn i am old. i totally thought i would go back sometime but never have managed to do it. GOOD FOR YOU. potty whenever you feel like it. rock on.

 
At 1:03 PM , Blogger Heidi said...

I had a prof like him and he ended up being one of my favorites. He relaxed after a while and only gave the slackers a hard time. I am sure you will be fine.

 
At 1:50 PM , Blogger Tracy Rambles On And On said...

I'm in the second semester of online classes after not going to school for five years. I feel like an idiot half the time.
I wish you lots of luck and patience!

 
At 4:16 PM , Blogger Burgh Baby said...

Dude needs to chill and learn a little about adult learning theory. His teaching skills leave much to be desired.

Good luck getting up to speed!

 
At 9:54 AM , Blogger Shawna said...

I read your posts with a southern accent now that I have heard the video of Gage and you. So cute btw.

OMG that prof sounds horrible.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home