Life Is Just So Daily

Monday, October 22, 2007

Monday Update...

Well...today's been a whirlwind.

For me, it was a pretty great day.
For my husband....not so much.
And really---I'm sure I'll pay the price for my pretty great day in some way....

How it all started:
Up at 5:15, per norm. Get ready while the hubby & the baby sleep.
6:15---I'm running late. Wake the hubby to wake & ready the baby.
6:30---out the door, late.
It's cold (in the 50's, it's raining, it's gross out.)
Drive to Rockwall to drop off Gage...making sure I have all of his meds. Temp check, and dosing instructions provided: if he has fever, shove one of these (finger pointing to Tylenol suppository) up his a$$. He'll hate it. And you have to hold his little butt cheeks together to make sure he doesn't push it back out.
[one of the fun things that they didn't mention in Baby Gage's owner & operator's manual]
anyway...hop back in the car to start my 1.5 hour commute to work. Take a different route b/c my normal path is blocked by a delay. The detour is longer, but quicker during rush hour delays....cell phone rings.
....and I heard it (for a change), so I felt compelled to answer. Hubby was stuck at home, and I had to return to the Casa de Lainey-Paney to give him a jump. Um, big dummy left the dome light in the Acura on, so the battery was completely dead. Jetted home, he got the cables hooked up. I was flustered, and clearly going to be late....and I already knew that I was probably going to have to leave early b/c of Gage's dr appointment (that saga will be discussed later), and anyway...I was in a foul foul foul mood. So, Hubby was flustered & feeding off my frustration at the situation, hooked the jumper cables up wrong, and things went downhill from there. Let's just say, "KIDS, DON'T try this at home!" All in all---it was just easier to call in for the day, take the hubby to work, and stay home to sort things out.

So, that's what I did.

Waited for pedi office to open. Called them. Hospital d/c instructions indicated that Gage needed to be seen by his pediatrician today. At the time that I called to discuss this medical f/u, Gage's temp had come down, and he was acting normal--like he felt better. So I call. And the dr doesn't have a f/u appointment until Friday. Now, the receptionist told me this before I even got to say all that I wanted to say. What I wanted to say:"...Gage's fever is down now. And, we have his regular 2 year check up on Wednesday, so why don't we just do everything on Wednesday? OR---do we really need to be seen today, as per the d/c instructions?" But---no, she cut me off after I said, "the d/c instructions from the hospital say that he needs to be seen by Dr.W today, and..." She quickly told me that his next available appointment is on Friday, and that this week is really busy there, and that they could not possibly work him in any sooner.

*******Who here remembers some of my recent rants about this pediatrician's office? Seems to me, they only want to see WELL kids. You're totally F*CKED if your kids get sick. Remember when he had hives, and they told me not to bring him in b/c it might be chicken pox, and now, my kid goes to the hospital, & the hospital says that he should be seen in the office today----but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, you can't make room for a SICK kid until Friday. That's bullsh*t. I swear, after this visit on Wednesday, we're going pediatrician shopping. Seriously----I understand setting check ups in advance---I do. But, you HAVE to build in time for your sick patients when you do your scheduling. You just have to. And now, really---was it THAT necessary for Gage to be seen today? No. I was even going to say that. But what if I really felt that it WAS that important? I wanted that open to us...open for him if his condition hadn't improved. So anyway...they suck.

Enough about them...back to my day:
So......Gage was taken care of.
Hubby was at work.
And me? I cleaned. I laundered. I rinsed, lathered & re-rinsed. I swept. I cleaned out the vacuum & all of it's bag less parts. I recycled & trashed. I folded laundry & watched all the shows I Tivo'd but have not had time to watch. I got to fast forward through commercials & pause whenever I had a random wave of housework ADD. Ahhhhhhhhhh....I lit candles in almost every room. I had a blast.
Home. Alone. Housework.
Beautifully uninterrupted housework.

And...it's poker night for the hubby. We borrowed the in law's jumper cables when we went & picked Gage up from Memaw's....Acura battery is fine. Just needed a proper jump. Hubby's been out playing poker. Gage & I have had a wonderful night at home. He's in bed now...and I'm not entirely sure yet what tomorrow will hold.
:)

Labels:

11 Comments:

At 11:43 PM , Blogger Awesome Mom said...

It is amazing how much you can get done when there is no one around to bug you.

 
At 12:29 AM , Blogger kat said...

Woah Nelly, you sure got a lot done. I'd be so upset with that pedi office. My mom works at one and they always schedule time for walk-ins. Otherwise if your kid was not sick, why take it to the pediatrican. You're doing good looking for a better office

 
At 4:49 AM , Blogger Beth said...

I remember those days at the pediatrician's office - they usually fit us in but we had to wait for ages. I always thought they should set aside some time each day for seeing sick kids rather than making them wait and (possibly) infect the other children. I would never have minded a sick child being seen before my kids' routine check-ups.

 
At 6:05 AM , Blogger mpotter said...

i love those unexpected, unplanned days off. but i tell you, i guess your perspective as a mom changes, b/c your first thought is lots of housework (good job!)

i'm glad you got a lot done, and what began as a crappy day turned itself around.

good luck w/ the ped's office. i hope you find another. i agree w/ you about it b/c it made me remember allllllll the millions of times I AM WAITING to be seen by a dr, seems like the others could wait just about 5 min while they check him out.

hope today is also good.

 
At 6:43 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I lovelovelove a whole day with no one else in the house to clean! I have to do that sometime SOON! Take a mental-health day, drop the kids at daycare & go home with to clean all day!

Good luck with the ped. Mine is ALWAYS available.

 
At 6:51 AM , Blogger misguidedmommy said...

oh man i think i would have given up at the detour you made it way farther then me

 
At 9:25 AM , Blogger Jen said...

OMG your peds office is appalling! You defo need to go shopping for a new doctor. The pediatrician that we have chosen has a whole team of doctors that work together so if one can't squeeze you in another one can. They are also open on the weekends from 8AM until the last patient has been seen- which I think is FAB because our ER copay is like 10X our Dr's office copay so if the baby is ever sick on the weekends we can go to the Peds office FIRST. Anywhoo... yeah! Glad you got to have a nice day after all that!

 
At 11:07 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous! I haven't had a day to myself in...5 years! Holy crap! I didn't even realize it had been quite that long!

Anyway, you really need get another pediatrician. If you lived in Phoenix, I would have a fabulous recommendation for you. She was my ped. when I was a baby and she took care of my boys when we lived there. Dr. Rhumba was awesome! I was never put off more than two hours if I felt we needed to be seen right away and the kids actually relaxed when she would walk in the room.

 
At 12:45 PM , Blogger Sugarmama said...

Okay, I'm forced to agree that your pediatrician does indeed suck. Or at least their scheduling system does. A better option is for there to be morning and evening walk-in clinic hours for sick visits. That's what my girls' pediatrician offers and we've taken advantage of it many times--no appointments necessary!

I totally envy your solitary housekeeping day! Even if it's also chore time, having that grown-up time is SO crucial and rare once you've got kids.

 
At 2:15 PM , Blogger Pregnantly Plump said...

Wow, I agree that you need a new pediatrician's office. That's horrible! I'm glad that you were able to fully enjoy your day, though. Especially after having such a rough weekend.

 
At 7:48 AM , Blogger Zephra said...

Your doc office sucks. If I were you I would let the doctor know what you think and that you are wanting to look for a new doctor. Chances are that he/she may not have a clue what is going on. I guess I am lucky, I have a really good doctor and the office staff is da bomb! It is a bit of a drive to medical city Dallas and there are times that I wait a little longer then I would like (I have learned to schedule the first morning appointment or first after lunch) but I know that is because she is seeing a child that is really sick like she did for my Sara when she was sick.

I can call that day if my child is not well and they will do whatever they need to do to fit us in even if that mean staying late for me.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home