Life Is Just So Daily

Sunday, October 21, 2007

Weekend Update...


We're home now, but Baby Gage was sick over the weekend.
He started with fever on Friday. Up to 103.F
Restless, clingy, fussy....
Went to bed Friday night between 8:30 & 9.
Up again around 12 or 1.
Up watching a movie with Daddy until about 3.
Slept until Saturday morning around 10.
Fever steady at 103.8, not responding to Ibuprofen & Tylenol...
Cool Bath & Tylenol, and it got down to 103 again.

Spoke w/ Pedi office on Friday & they said that we should alternate Tylenol & Ibuprofen, and let them know if he was still feverish on Monday.
But----hanging out at 103 w/ meds on board? We called again on Saturday, and they told us to take him to Children's. So we did.

Nothing like that place to put things into perspective.
Our child was sick, and yes, he was there too.
But to see the other children....it just made me so thankful that Gage was just there for a fever, you know?

Susan & David were nearby when I called her to ask her what exit to take to get there...I mean, I know it's off 35, and I'm sure I could have figured it out...but since she knows that place like the back of her hand, I figured she'd be the quickest one to answer my questions. Anyway....she & David were shopping at Northpark, (where she ran into Megan, b/c it's just a small world like that), and after shopping they came over to the hospital to hang out with us. I know, because I talked to her later, that she doesn't feel like she made any grand gesture. But, the time that they were there with us just keeping us company made that time fly. It was nice to just chat & bitch with them! [so, Susan & David, thanks soooooo much!]

Gage was very restless at the hospital. He'd nap in our arms for about 15 minutes at the most. He wanted everything & nothing.

And after Susan & David left...then came his little IV & blood draws. OMG. It took 4 adults to hold him down & get it done. Bless his heart. And our nurse, Erin, said, "Almost done" at one point. Gage just screammed over & over, "Don't like it! Don't like it!" & then, "Almost Done?" "Almost Done?" ....and then it was over. He had his little heplock & hand/forearm taped to a little immobilizing device so that he didn't yank it out. It was in his right hand, and he's right handed. He kept trying to pick up his bottle, but couldn't with his right hand. So.....we had some time to kill while waiting on his labwork, so we went back to the cafeteria (2nd trip....) & bought another banana for him. Finally, he ate 1.5 bananas & wanted to see the trains. We spent a great deal of time watching the trains. He was in little boy heaven!

He wanted to play on the playground....but no. I can't help it---I felt like the playground was covered in germs. Besides, it was dark by the time Gage ever saw the playground.

I tell you....being around the other very sick kiddos....it just makes you very thankful that we don't "live" there like some families....that Gage is healthy & we'll get over this illness relatively quickly compared to some of those children.

Anyway...Gage's blood cultures will be back later this week, but his CBC did not have elevated white counts. He's likely got a virus...and all we can do is treat the fever.

Easier said than done. Gage does NOT like taking his oral Tylenol or Ibuprofen, so we've had to resort to the suppository Tylenol [when he's older, I'm sure he'll be super thankful that I just posted THAT on the internet]. Appetite....fluctuates. He's still drinking (and @ Children's they checked his electrolytes---they are fine).

So far today....
Woke up at 8. And then he asked to go back to bed at 9:15. Slept until almost 1. Since then....we've watched "Haunted Mansion" with Eddie Murphy, part of "Hocus Pocus", and now we're watching "Corpse Bride". I got two pumpkins at the grocery store, & thought we could all carve them as a family. Gage likes to treat pumpkins like soccer balls & kicks them all about the living room. He wanted NO part of carving them. He thought the insides were "yucky"....and he moved on. Now they are carved & lit on the mantle. He loves to look at them. Also, while at the store, I found a matchbox school bus for him. He *LOVES* to see school busses in the mornings, so he was very pleased with that little treat when he woke up from his nap earlier.

Not sure what the night will bring later. Current axillary temp: 102.4 F. He's curled up to my right side & we're on the couch. He wants me to stop typing now...He just took my hands, and started rubbing his arms with my hand. He said, "Mommy pet you." Clearly, I've gotta go.

Labels:

18 Comments:

At 2:38 PM , Blogger Lainey-Paney said...

4:37 pm update: Gage is asleep next to me on the couch.

 
At 3:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

awwww, poor baby Gage! Hugs to him and to you! I hope he's feeling better soon!

 
At 4:06 PM , Blogger Beth said...

Hope the little guy is feeling better soon. I know fevers are how our bodies fight infection but they can be scary - especially for Moms.

 
At 4:37 PM , Blogger Christy said...

Poor baby. It is so sad to watch your child suffer. Porgie has only had one really bad cold so far, and I phoned the doctor on call at the hospital three times in one weekend.

I hope gage is feeling better soon.

 
At 5:53 PM , Blogger S said...

Poor guy, hope he gets better soon!
K had a fever ranging from 101 - 103 for 3 days the weekend before last and we had to do the tylenol too. Turns out he had a virual throat infection and we just had to let it go.
Hope it passes quickly for you all.

 
At 5:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Baby....Feel better!!!!

 
At 6:22 PM , Blogger Pregnantly Plump said...

Poor little guy (and poor parents, too!) I hope his fever goes down quickly.

 
At 6:40 PM , Blogger Elaine said...

I hope baby Gage feels better soon!

 
At 7:17 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Feel better, big guy! And give your mommy lots of snuggles to thank her for all the TLC.

 
At 12:25 AM , Blogger kat said...

Get well baby Gage. Isn't it horrible to see when your kid is sick? Soooo cute how he wants you to pet him. He's really precious.

 
At 8:12 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope he gets well soon! What a sweet post. I'm glad his fever was down a bit. Fevers freak me out, especially when they don't respond to meds. I always insist my parents go to the hospital when it about 103 just in case.

 
At 8:17 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugh. Unexplained fevers suck!!! I distinctly remember how worried I was when River had a 103 fever for almost a week and no one knew why. I hope Gage starts feeling better soon.

 
At 9:49 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember when my oldest was put in the NICU after he was born (his blood tests kept coming back funny). He was such a big, healthy looking baby and my heart ached for all those parents who came in every day to spend time with their tiny, weak little preemie babies, some of which would never be going home. Sometimes our blessings are outlined by tragedy to make them more clear. I hope little Gage gets better soon.

 
At 10:01 AM , Blogger Heidi said...

I hope little Gage is feeling better soon. My son usually runs a very high fever for any illness even just a cold. I am a nurse and it still freaks me out. He also refuses any oral meds and I have to resort to a suppository and baths and of course "petting him" and watching movies!

 
At 1:02 PM , Blogger Love said...

=( hope gage is feeling better!

and...pretty pics below! you look just like your mom...and your both beautiful! =)

 
At 1:43 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope Gage is feeling better.

"Mommy pet me" is too cute!

 
At 6:10 PM , Blogger Jennifer said...

Poor kid, poor Mom and Dad. I always feel so helpless when my kid is sick and nothing seems to help. Hope he's better soon!

 
At 7:56 PM , Blogger zirelda said...

It's always so hard when they're sick. Rach had strep a few years ago. It came with a fever that kept her asleep for 2 days. It scared me because she would hardly wake for anything.

Hugs and good thoughts for Gage.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home