Life Is Just So Daily

Friday, June 28, 2013

Newborn Diapers...My $0.02.

So....I ultimately plan to use gDiapers. We aren't there yet. Before Eliette got here, I decided that we would start gDiapers at size M. I thought this would allow us time to adjust to life with a newborn, and allow me time to adequately heal from my csection, and that we'd go from there. In the meantime, we'd use disposables.

Well....Little Miss was itty-bitty! Preemie diapers fit her best in the beginning. Then we moved on to size Newborn.
Boy, do I have some opinions on these disposable diapers!!!

So, here's my $0.02 on newborn diaper comparisons:

Pampers Swaddlers:
Love the indicator line that is yellow when dry, and then turns green/blue when wet. Love that! They seem absorbent, and Eliette never leaked through them....

But---do you see how the top dips down very little for the umbilical cord area? That didn't make me happy.

Huggies Little Snugglers:

Love these! The center area dips lower. They were great on absorption, and they have the indicator line too! The fasteners are round tabs instead of square/rectangular, so they didn't seem to ever rub on Eliette's skin if she curled her little body up. On the newborn size, these were my favorites!

Mom to Mom brand:

I had to throw in a generic brand to try too....
Sadly, I was very/very/very disappointed in these...


They were kind of crunchy feeling. Not very soft. The umbilical cord area wasn't stellar. The tabs were the worst! They are stiff, and pointy at the corners. When Eliette would curl up like she was in the womb, the tabs would poke and irritate her belly skin. And, they don't have the indicator line. These were by far the crappiest newborn diapers we tried.

Luvs:
I failed to take my own picture of these. Absorbent, just like they advertise. I have no real complaints about these diapers except: they lack the color indicator line. In the middle of the night, that line is so helpful! I just have to say, the Luvs seem to be a more cost effective choice, and I was pleasantly surprised by how well they worked on Eliette. I tried them in the past with Gage, and they were disappointing. ...but, that was 7 years ago!

So, in the end, the big winner for us has been Huggies Little Snugglers.


Now, how has our diaper changing been going?
Well, we've come up with a little system....
We have the changing table set up in the nursery, but in the first few weeks, Eliette wasn't sleeping in her nursery, so we rarely changed her in there. Instead, we've been changing her primarily in our room or the living room. So, we have these stocked baskets in both rooms.

 To start, each basket has a Munchkin brand pad that we lay down to protect the couch or bed... (It's draped over the edge of the basket in the above photo...)
Got them at Target, and they rock. They are waterproof and easy to just toss in with the laundry when needed.
So, also in the basket is hand sanitizer, diapers, diaper wipes, diaper cream, face/hand wipes, baby socks (because they so easily get soiled during diaper changes!), and toss bags for the throwing the diapers away... These little caddies have made diaper duty so easy!

Okay...that's my two cents for today....



Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

At 12:25 PM , Blogger Ann Wyse said...

So funny - I'm also impressed by the Huggies - although I wasn't 6 years (or 3 years) ago. AND the Huggies have (how do I describe it?) a little pocket or ledge in the back that actually prevents a messy diaper from traveling up the baby's back. Genius!

 
At 1:29 PM , Blogger Stephanie said...

We are using pampers right now and I too love the color line. A diaper caddy in the living room would be great as long as Chloe would leave it alone.

 
At 2:18 PM , Blogger Amanda said...

So, we've been doing the Huggies Pure and Natural, but I had a BRU coupon for the Little Snugglers. I'd been worried, because some places online had pretty negative reviews, so I'm really glad to see a more positive review here. :)

 
At 7:47 PM , Blogger Kate said...

Cool! We used the Little Snugglers, but his umbilical stump wasn't sensitive after all that he went through in the hospital. I LOVED the blue line. Loved it. I loved Pampers until he started walking and then we switched to Huggies because of the gathered back waistband.

 
At 8:23 AM , Blogger Hester 5 said...

I have such an opinion about diapers because of my vast array of experiences and because of Hannah's SUPER sensitive skin. With Rachel, we used Pampers Swaddlers....nothing else until she got so fat that Huggies fit the best....Huggies are good for fat kids! ha!!! Lauren...I am not sure that I really remember...I want to say that we used Huggies the entire time. Now..Hannah....I used Swaddlers at first and then we tried Huggies...nothing would NOT break her out. We ultimately had to go a diaper called Honest Company. You can only order them online. They are hypo-all kinds of stuff and $$$$. Finally, several months ago, we switched back to Huggies and that's where we are now.

 
At 7:29 AM , Blogger Aubs said...

We use all pampers but almost everyone i know that has a girl loves huggies! We've had leakage issues with huggies with all 3 boys so i just stick to pampers!! And we totally did the diaper basket in the living room too ~ it made life so much easier!!!

 
At 1:11 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home