Life Is Just So Daily

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Old Wives Tales: boy or girl?




So, I thought this would be fun.... let's look at some old wive's tales to see if they predict that this baby is a boy or girl....

According to legend, 140+ beats per minute indicates a girl, and below 140 a boy.
At our only sono so far, the rate was only 92 bpm. (But, that was at 6w0d, so in the baby's defense, the heart HAD just started to beat at all...so, maybe we need to use the bpm rate from our NEXT sonogram...)
Boy.

Craving ice cream every single day? Some people believe this means it's a girl. If you have to have salty or sour stuff, then it's a boy.
I'm craving both!
Undetermined.

The Chinese Birth Calendar: This ancient method uses your age at conception and the month you conceived to determine gender.
Girl.

This one's a little out there. Pee in a cup (you've been doing it at all your prenatal appointments anyway, haven't you?), mix a tablespoon of Drano in, and watch to see if it changes color. Green = girl, and blue = boy.
___________

Legend has it that the Mayans determined a baby's sex by looking at the mother's age at conception and the year of conception. If both are even or odd, it's a girl. If one's even and one's odd, it's a boy.
 My age at conception: 34 (even)
Year of conception: 2012 (even)
Girl.

If you're breaking out like crazy, blame it on your girl babe. The belief goes that girls steal their mother's beauty, hence, those annoying zits.
Oh, they must have seen me lately. I'm a zitty-teen-looking-mess.
Girl.

Pop off your wedding ring -- if you still can! -- and tie it to a string. Hang it over your belly. If it swings in a circle, a little guy's in your future. If it goes back and forth, you've got a girl.
____________


Sick as a dog during the first trimester -- or still? Signs indicate you're having a girl. Little or no morning sickness points to a boy.
My m/s comes and goes. I have good days and bad days, but it's certainly worse than I ever had it with Gage.
Girl

So, those are the ones I've tried so far. I've clearly got to get some string and Drano to finish this out.

So, I initially felt pretty strongly that this baby is a boy.
Now, as time goes by, I'm not so sure.
Either way, these silly tales are fun to play around with.
:)


Labels:

13 Comments:

At 8:24 AM , Anonymous JessN said...

Oh please please please let it be a girl!!! We are definetly doing the Drano test this weekend!!!

 
At 8:27 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Drano one is interesting! LOL

I need a belly shot down the road to make an official guess :)

 
At 8:31 AM , Blogger Lainey-Paney said...

JessN: this weekend? girl, I have a whole day ahead of me. I may have a color change answer for you by the time you hit Wisteria Lane!

 
At 8:31 AM , Blogger Lainey-Paney said...

Patty: my belly shot now is just....fat. bloat. sad.

 
At 8:31 AM , Blogger Lainey-Paney said...

Well, not sad! Just....not cute like it was when I was PG with Gage.

 
At 10:16 AM , Blogger Courtney said...

I didn't have morning sickness any of my pregnancies and I had all girls. :)

 
At 10:16 AM , Blogger Courtney said...

I didn't have morning sickness any of my pregnancies and I had all girls. :)

 
At 10:51 AM , Blogger Beth said...

Always fun and interesting to “play” those games (hey, there’s a 50% chance of being right with each one!) but in the end, the sex doesn’t matter – it’s all about a healthy baby! :)

 
At 12:54 PM , Blogger mpotter said...

according to your list 4 of those showed me a boy. i did the chinese calendar two different times, and it gave me both. the mayan i had never heard of. just did it. boy.

i am the proud owner of a 4yo girl (:

so enjoy this time of the unknown.
and may it be healthy and happy. (and good! please let it be a good baby!!)

feel well....

 
At 6:18 PM , Blogger Amanda said...

Love this post. I texted my husband all the signs that pointed to girl. Then all the signs that pointed to boy. We're just about even!

 
At 7:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

They actually have a test at drug stores that supposedly can detect the sex of your baby. It was new when I was preggo with Sadie. It said she was a boy. It said that Kailer was a boy. The chinese chart said Sadie was a girl and that Kailer was a girl. I had morning sickness with Sadie and SEVERE all day sickness with Kailer. But I will tell you that the chinese one is almost always right. Not for one of my kiddos though ;) Miss you! x0x0-Les

 
At 11:05 AM , Blogger Erica said...

Pregnant with three boys, carried them all different, craved totally different things, two had high heart rates, one had low heart rate, chinese chart said girl on two. The only thing that was right was the pencil test and it said boy, boy, boy, girl!!!

 
At 11:06 AM , Blogger Erica said...

Pregnant with three boys, carried them all different, craved totally different things, two had high heart rates, one had low heart rate, chinese chart said girl on two. The only thing that was right was the pencil test and it said boy, boy, boy, girl!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home