Life Is Just So Daily

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

IVF Update: Belly Shots

So, today is Day #1 for injections. Not to be confused with CD1 (Cycle Day 1), which will actually be on 8/24.

Today: I had my "trial transfer" at the RE's office (Reproductive Endocrinologist). It's basically a sonogram guided measuring task. To note, they looked at my ovaries today. I have 7 follicles on the left ovary and 9 on the right. None of them are mature and ready to roll or anything. I just started the shots of Lupron today, which keep your body from ovulating (if I'm understanding things correctly).

I also had my injection teaching. Ahhh....belly shots. Luckily, the birth control pills have given me a nice little cushion over the past three months. (yay....)

Self injecting: not as hard as I thought it would be, but there is a moment where you just have the needle tip at your skin, and....there's a pause....hesitation....a minute passes....two minutes pass....and then you just go for it. You POP through the outer layer of skin at the 45 degree angle, and then it just seems to gliiiiiide through the fat. (Yum, right?) Then you push the plunger in. You're done.

What else about today? I met with the Andrologist/Embryologist. We went over the grading of the embryos, and it's a number & two letter series. It's all really subjective.

...and I wrote a check for $19,000.00. That's the largest CHECK I've ever written in my life. Sure, we've gotten checks from the bank for say, our house down-payment....but I've never personally written a check for 19K. Some people may say that it's not PC to talk about the money aspect of this---but really, it's a very real part of the process. People who say that the cost doesn't matter have probably never written a check for a nineteen thousand dollar chance. Because that's exactly what this is: a chance. And finances are a very real limiting factor for most couples. How many times can we afford to lay down $19K for a chance? How many times can most people do that???

Anyway....today was a success. Minimal discomfort. I'm going to be shooting up daily now. Nightly ritual: handful of pills. Morning ritual: shots. Let the hot flashes begin.




Labels:

7 Comments:

At 8:11 PM , Blogger Stephanie and Jeff Stovall said...

I about choked when I saw how much it costs. I thought it cost around 10-12,000, which is still A LOT of money, but 19,000!?!? Yikes.
It's crazy how many people I know that have difficulties getting pregnant. While we had trouble getting pregnant with Audrey, and I required Clomid (which is like the very first step, and you are on like the 100th step - so it doesn't really compare), I remember the anxiety and heartache as each month passed. I will definitely put you at the top of my prayer list that this works for you. You are really going to serve as inspiration for those who are going through exactly what you are. Good luck friend!!!!!

 
At 5:39 AM , Blogger mpotter said...

i think you're quite brave. for all that you are going through. and to be so honest about it.

i am not in your situation, but it's refreshing to see your honesty ---including regarding the money. that's not info you can find anywhere, i'm sure. because nobody talks about that.

i wish you all the best for this "chance". i hope you win the lottery at the end of all of this!

 
At 6:52 AM , Blogger LauraC said...

I think it is great that you are talking about the costs because so many people are like "oh IVF, the easy way!" Will think insanely happy baby thoughts for you!

 
At 9:37 AM , Blogger Amanda said...

I totally second what LauraC says... I HATE it when people say something like "Just do IVF." The pain, the cost, the daily drama in this process. They just have no idea.

I'm joining you on the Lupron train this Sunday. Lots of hugs to you! :)

 
At 4:33 PM , Blogger Io said...

Man, writing that big check is *rough* (and I will second the "$19,000!" Are you getting something extra with your IVF or is this a three tries for the price of two or...?)

 
At 4:38 PM , Blogger Aubs said...

so thankful for your honesty. having never experienced what you're going through, i love that your honesty helps me to better understand how to pray for & encourage you and anyone else in the future that faces the same struggle. thinking of and praying for you! =)

 
At 5:40 PM , Blogger Shoeaddict said...

Your honesty is so commendable. And you are brave. You're brave to talk so openly about it all, you're brave to try again after a loss and you're brave for writing a $19,000 on a chance.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home