Life Is Just So Daily

Friday, August 03, 2012

Hello, San Pedro! (Vacation Post #1)

We were sooooo very lucky to get to travel to Ambergris Caye, off the coast of Belize at the end of July.

It is, hands down, the most laid back place I have ever been. It was so wonderful.

Ambergris Caye....
"...is the name of Belize's largest island. The history of the island goes back to the days of the Maya, European Pirates, and Mexican Refugees who fled during the Caste War. The descendants from Mexico make up most of the island's population today. The economy of the island was once dependent on the coconut industry, followed by the fishing industry, but it is now dependent on tourism.

Ambergris is 25 miles long and a little over a mile wide, in some places, and it is located in the clear shallow waters of the Caribbean Sea. Her coastline is protected by the 190 miles long Barrier Reef, the second largest living coral reef in the world.

San Pedro Town is the only inhabited area on the island. It's atmosphere is that of a small bustling, fishing village but with "hot spots" of events, restaurants, and entertainment.  The town is a picture postcard setting - small colorfully painted houses set alongside sand streets nestled beside the clear turquoise sea. Coconut palms sway and rustle in the gentle cooling trade winds." (from www.ambergriscaye.com)


I truly can't say enough wonderful things about this place. It was so relaxing, and just a comfortable place. 


We stayed at the most amazing place: The Phoenix (www.thephoenixbelize.com) & we were in condo 4D (Thank you, Terry & Ed!!!!)


Can I just say how wonderful this place was? It was wonderful. 


But, let me back up with pictures, mmmkay? This little monkey wanted to go with us. No such luck, Little Man! {"Hello, Rum? It's Mommy calling."}



Here we are at the Belize City airport... awaiting our 2nd flight to get to the San Pedro airport.



I was lucky enough to go with Darnin & PawPaw on Saturday, and Hubby got to join us later in the week on Thursday. 


We flew Tropic Air (I think that's the only choice!) to get to Ambergris Caye. Our plane: 


Our pilot, from my point of view {Reach out & touch someone....just not the pilot...unless you know how to fly a plane....}: 





When we got to The Phoenix, here were our LOVELY accommodations (Now, this is a life I could get used to!): 









The master & master bath:


The frog-themed room & bath {aka: my perfect room!}:







Our balcony.... The master bedroom & living room open onto the balcony:



The pool areas and views at The Phoenix:





Our resort grounds were amazing. And---lucky us: we were right across the street from the fire station & the police station: 

First things first: hit the store to stock up on food & drinks. We ended up buying so much that they gave us a ride back to our resort via golf cart. {Two stores were within walking distance, so it was no biggie to get there...}

One of the most interesting things I found at the store, and it reminded me of a comment my husband once made: "You can get just about anything in a can."  (Hot dogs in a can? You try it first. No, you try it first.  Same time. Same time.)



Pawpaw on the cart {turns out, this was trip #1 out of about 400 for poor PawPaw!}:

And last but not least, this was Mom's favorite thing about the kitchen: our make-shift pantry! {Hey, we had no intentions of really using that oven!}:


We have so many other Ambergris Caye adventures to share. 
I'll post more soon. 


:)

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 11:35 AM , Blogger Kar said...

Ohhhhh that looks so wonderful!! My hubs and I went to the Caribbean in January on a cruise, and wow. I was so in love. And I also wanted to comment on your post below. I'm praying for you and hubby with your IVF process. And I'm so sorry you had a miscarriage. I miscarried years ago and still think about it every day. Bless you. And good luck.

 
At 7:55 PM , Blogger Megan said...

Fabulous!!

 
At 8:33 PM , Blogger Stephanie and Jeff Stovall said...

Ummm, awesome! I totally want to go there now! (By the way, things are good here. I have really slacked on the blogging! Every time I tell myself that I will do better, it just gets worse! Haha!)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home