Life Is Just So Daily

Friday, August 21, 2009

Farewell Nursery!

Last Saturday, Gage went with Darnin {and a crew!} to Sandy Lake Amusement Park. (Seriously, that place has been the Summer favorite!)

But, while the kiddo was away---the adults...well, we didn't play.
Hubby worked on priming & painting Gage's room. Let me say---we will never again paint stripes. Ever. (Gage's nursery before this "big boy room" was pastels: yellow, green, & white striped.) This time, Hubby primed, and primed, and then painted. He was up until 3:30 in the morning painting!

So, Gage picked a room that he liked off the Ikea website. No, we didn't buy the 8 million things that they sell to create that room. But, we did go with the same painting scheme. Gage chose the paint himself. It's....a cross between highlighter yellow & the color of a cheez-it.
It's bright.
It's so bright, you gotta wear shades.

And, while we were at "the depot" picking out paint, he chose some new lamps. While they don't exactly "go" with the room, they are incredibly functional for him & entertaining. Why? Because they are the kind that you touch & the come on. It's awesome! As in---awesomely convenient! He can turn on his own light in there! Of course each lamp goes from bright-brighter-brightest!-off, so that keeps him entertained for about 15 minutes a day.
So if you come to my house & think "those lights don't look very 'boyish'"....well, you're right. But they work for all of us!

His room is by no means finished, I assure you.

The old train table found a new home. And by that I mean, "Gage, oh my goodness! Look! Zakary has a train table just like the one you used to have!" Zephra's got plenty of room in her house {yes, I covet her upstairs playroom space that all the kiddos access off their bedrooms. It's the perfect set up for a family}. So, I'm hoping her kiddos are loving it & using it. Gage's much smaller table fits in his room better.

Saturday night, Gage was set to help us paint the chalkboard on his wall (so far, I'm LOVING this chalkboard paint!)




Sunday morning....

Oh, that child loves ladders these days...

The chalkboard paint had to set until Wednesday. I'm apparently an evil mom for moving forward with my plan to hang the chalk buckets (how cute are these!? buckets: free from these little freebie things at work; chalk---about a dollar; the hooks are tea-cup hooks, and they just screw into the wall. I forget how much they cost, but it was barely anything)....it was very tempting to go ahead & use the chalkboard, but I am proud to say that we've refrained...



And so---I have no pics that show the room 100% completed. Well, that's because the room ISN'T finished yet. We still have to install a shelf that will run the length of one wall...frame out the chalkboard...hang some of his other stuff on the walls, and I've got a few other little projects in the works to go in there...

Sunday afternoon---Gage lounging on his new bed!


Sunday night---he slept in his room. The fumes were pretty much gone because of the fans that had been going in there with the windows open, so we deemed it safe.





The Bedding: Denim comforter from Dillard's. Transformers sheets from Target---around $40, I think. Um---it was like laying on sandpaper, even though I've washed & dried them twice. I think it's probably somewhere around 40-thread-count. BUT---it's what he wanted. I also picked up a micro-fleece-super-soft blanket @ Ross for $11.99. You can't beat a bargain like that. Seriously---it's the cheapest thing on his bed & it's the softest. Tigger pillow: priceless. I made it. He loves it. He loves me. It may not match, but it stays.

Also to note...Gage & Hubby wanted to go all out with one of those Transformers Bed-in-a-Bag/Room-in-a-Bag ensemble. I'm an awful mother. I couldn't go that route. Gage has never seen the Transformers movies, and really, this whole "I Want Transformers!" thing came out of left field. Not only do I not want to walk down the hall & stare at whatever the hell 'Optimus Prime' is, I don't want to buy another comforter set 2 months from now when he's decided he's into some other show/movie/character/flavor of the month. I think a denim comforter rocks because you switch out the sheets, and pretty much anything will go...right?

So, I'll keep you posted as the room comes along.
:)

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

At 8:46 PM , Blogger Love said...

gah! cannot believe its been so long since i visited!

i LOVE those buckets w/ chalk and the chalkboard paint. that has been on my to-do list forever for a little table that we have.

so much fun transitioning to a big kid room!

oh, and we tried to do stripes once and realized we'd be there until the girls were in their teens to get it perfect. so we put up a chair rail and did below it chocolate brown and above it pink. so much easier then the pink and brown stripes we were doing!! =)

 
At 5:20 AM , Blogger MarkD60 said...

You know, in the last 3 pictures, the little boy isn't really asleep, he's just pretending! Just in case you didn't know!!!!

I like your blogs name.

 
At 5:36 AM , Blogger Beth said...

Gage is one lucky little dude with a room like that - and the chalkboard idea is fabulous!

 
At 8:55 PM , Blogger Pregnantly Plump said...

What fun! We can't wait to get a home of our own so we can do up a great room just for Little Elvis.

 
At 11:29 PM , Blogger Papa Bradstein said...

Cute pics. Now I'm wondering if we should check out that chalkboard paint. I let Mama pick all the colors for our rooms and so our room ended up a shade of yellow similar to what Gage has, although maybe...just maybe...more muted. It's a hard color to sleep with for me, but if he likes it...

 
At 5:36 PM , Blogger Christy said...

WOW! You guys have been so busy! That color is awesome. YAY Cheez-its!

 
At 9:39 PM , Blogger Chris H said...

You are going to hate me for saying this! I hope you LOVE chalk dust mate! Cos you are going to have it EVERYWHERE... just you wait!
Apart from that, very nice room!
(I've had 8 kids mate, and we are NEVER having a chalk board in the house again!)

 
At 7:15 AM , Blogger misguidedmommy said...

okay first, those buckets are way way to cute and please stop being so clever and martha stewartly it makes me hate my house.

next, i heart chalk board paint i had it in my old house, it washes best with a damp cloth

third fucking trasformers DIE I HATE YOU I NEVER WANT TO HEAR ABOUT BUMBLE BEE AND OPTOMIS AGAIN AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Kids sheets suck, are never soft and kids never seem to mind. So does that mean we girls have just evolved into sheet snobs over time and we weren't just born loving 600 thread count egyptian cotten sheets

also, hate to be a jerk, but i bet we get a finished picture of his bedroom when we get a finished picture of your bathroom HARUMPH!

Yeah, thats right Lainey I never forget anything

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home