Life Is Just So Daily

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The F Word.




As in, "You have FAILED as a parent."

Seriously---nobody take parenting advice from me. Ever.

My 3 year old has a cavity.

I feel like a total failure.

We brush. Damn, we brush.

And the kicker...
Dentist: "When did he start complaining of pain?"
Me: "Yesterday."
Dentist: "What was he doing when he noticed it hurting?"
Me: {wanting to lie, but my kid is in my lap, so what kind of example is that setting!?} "I'd love to tell you that he was eating a carrot. But he wasn't. He was eating a Gummy Bear."
Gage: "I TOLD YOU---I DON'T LIKE CARROTS!"

Of course, he also let me know really quickly: "AND I DON'T LIKE CABITIES!"

Pediadontist---here we come.

The good news: he's only got one cavity.
The good news: dentist said that with some kids, no matter what you do or how often you brush, they get cavities {I suspect he saw the big red FAIL stamp starting to appear on my forehead, and only said this to make me feel better.}
The bad news: he will have to have a filling or a cap.
The bad news: caps are silver & look gross to me! I don't want my 3 year old to have a grill!
The good news: I've got a few loose gemstones that I can have put into his silver cap if we have to. BLING-BLING! Ooooh! Baby Bling!

Okay---so that was my morning.
I've got an exam today & a mamma-jamma headache.

Hope y'all have a better parenting day than I've had.

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 10:21 AM , Blogger lisa said...

I think the dentist was right about some kids just being prone. I remember a girl in school had to have all her teeth filled because she said that the crater part (yeah I know real technical) was too deep and that the dentist was going to fill them before she had cavities. So don’t feel bad, and you definitely don’t get an F!

 
At 12:34 PM , Blogger Papa Bradstein said...

Some people's teeth are more prone to cavities than others, so don't sweat it too much. Use it as inspiration for him to brush more...but with the understanding that he may get more cavities anyway.

3B loves gummies too, but our dentist said to avoid them whenever possible, since they are full of sugar and stick to his teeth like glue. She even told us to cut out gummy vitamins--after we finished the mega bottle we just bought, so she's realistic too.

Of course, when my cousin brought him a bag of alphabet gummies from Germany and laid them all out on the table in front of him...well, the dentist said "whenever possible."

 
At 3:17 PM , Blogger Angel said...

Look, when I was in 2nd grade, I went to the dentist for the FIRST time, (when I lived with my dad for a year) and I had THIRTEEN Cabities!!!! 13!!!! One little "cabity" is nothing!!!

Some kids just get them, that's all. You're still a rock solid MOM!!!

 
At 3:50 PM , Anonymous Misguided Mommy said...

Ummm. So if one cavity is a failure what about the 14 the dentist found in Brandons mouth? We brushed every morning and every night. We even flossed and still FOURTEEN FUCKING CAVITIES!

 
At 4:53 PM , Blogger Zephra said...

Zain obsessively brushed and he still ended up with cavities. Dentist said he has weak teeth whatever the hell that means.

 
At 6:38 PM , Blogger Judy said...

The dentist is right - some kids are simply prone to cavities more than others. I can drink water and get a cavity. I have really weak enamel. Unfortunately, Tyler probably inherited that. Plus, he was in the hospital at 6 days old on high-powered antibiotics, and those can play a part in cavities as well. At least you take him to the dentist - pat yourself on the back for catching it before it became a HUGE problem for him!

 
At 10:40 PM , Blogger Running with Scissors said...

I'm guessing it's still his baby teeth and will eventually be replaced by adult ones?

 
At 12:29 AM , Blogger Chris H said...

Don't feel bad! I was mortified when Griffin got one when he was 5 too.. it was the first cavity any of my kids had got! NOt bad for 8 kids and 30 years eh?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home