Life Is Just So Daily

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

I did it.

Thanks, Mojavi, for the idea, and encouragement!

I did it.

I made my own laundry detergent, and IT ROCKS!



Okay, I did this mainly because it seemed interesting, and I just wanted to see if I could do it.... and I did.

Of course, Hubby pointed out that "there are companies out there that will make this FOR YOU." Yes, dear, I know. I just want to try it! So, he was supportive of my experiment....

Mojavi recently posted about making her own laundry detergent & posted the recipe.
Well, for the life of me, I could not find "Washing Powder" or "Washing Soda", so I googled for a recipe that calls for baking soda.

So.....
Here's the recipe I used:
1 bar soap - grated (I used Fels-Naptha)
2 gallons hot water
2 cups baking soda

Melt grated soap in a saucepan with just enough water to cover the soap. Cook on medium-low heat, stirring frequently until soap is melted.

In a large pail, pour 2 gallons of hot water. Add melted soap & stir well.

Add the baking soda, again stirring well.

For laundry use: use 1/2 cup per full load, and 1 cup per each "very soiled" load.

So.....if you average $11-$15 per month in laundry detergent...this is waaaaay cheaper! For total cost investment on this little project---Four dollars & four cents...or 8 cents....I forget. But, I've got lots of baking soda leftover. For my next batch, I will only need to buy another bar of Fels Naptha soap, & that cost $1.29 a bar. The recipe said that you could use any other mild soap like Ivory.

:)

11 Comments:

At 8:08 AM , Blogger Julie said...

We can only use the ones that are "Free" of all dyes and fragrances. But, if I found a bar of soap we could use then I think I would try it. That is just too cool!
Have you tried washing with it yet? I wanna hear how well it works! Oh, and how are you storing it?

 
At 8:17 AM , Blogger Stephanie said...

I saw this on Mojavi's page and wanted to try it. Now knowing that you did and you like it and it really works (not that I didn't believe before!!!), I really think I am going to. And it is so much cheaper!

 
At 8:58 AM , Blogger Lainey-Paney said...

Julie:
yes, I've tried it.
Works just fine!!!

 
At 11:06 AM , Blogger TwinsanityMom - Janet said...

Yay for you!! And what a great way to go green! :)

 
At 1:31 PM , Blogger Just Jiff said...

Wow. Impressive. Maybe one day I'll actually try that.

 
At 12:57 AM , Blogger Chris H said...

Babe... you have too much time on your hands! I don't think I will ever make my own laundry powder, there's too much other 'stuff' that's more fun to be doing! Good on you though for giving it a go... though I am still wondering why? lol

 
At 6:57 AM , Blogger Chelsea Gwynne said...

sounds very cool! Does it seem like it's really getting the clothes clean?

 
At 9:32 AM , Blogger Lainey-Paney said...

Chris H: it didn't take very long at all!
30 minutes???
I would spend more time & money going to the store to buy a jug of detergent.

 
At 10:08 AM , Blogger L said...

I really, really want to do this.

 
At 10:12 PM , Blogger Mojavi said...

YOU GO GIRL!!!! I should of stated you can use Baking Soda instead of Washing... the washing one can be hard to find :)

 
At 10:12 PM , Blogger Mojavi said...

ohh and you can use it for your dish washer too lol!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home