Life Is Just So Daily

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

O Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree!

Well....I happen to believe that every year there is one perfect Christmas tree...

I hate to inform the rest of you, but folks, this year we got it.

The quest for the perfect tree involved us borrowing my dad's truck, dinner at KFC (because the ol' pizza joint over there has been turned into a laundromat...hmmmm...), and a local Christmas tree lot.

:)

Last Friday night...

Now, the owner of this Christmas tree lot was an old friend of my biological father. Very nice man. Turns out---he's also one of our neighbors. Small world, eh?

Aaaaannndddd---they're off!


There it is....the chosen tree.


Got it home. So easy. It was bagged, and all we had to do was cart it in, and turn it upright. It was already on a stand. Talk about rockin' my world. Seriously---every year we spend 30-45 minutes getting it in the stand, trimming bottom branches, tighten this bolt thing, is it straight? etc. Not this year. And, never again, my friends!


Of course, it was too big to fit in our house. We have a house that was built in 1949. We don't have tall ceilings...so, we trimmed down the top to get it to fit...


And then, the decorations!
Let's start with lights....I love looking at them, but hate to put them on the tree! We looked in our box, we had 4 strands of 100 little white lights, and 4 strands of 10 star lights. Got those on the tree....they weren't nearly enough.
So, off we went to the store for more lights. I can tell you exactly how many lights are on this tree: 1540. That's a lotta lights!

Ornaments...I have been collecting Christmas ornaments since I was a little girl. Every year since Junior High, Megan, Susan & I have been exchanging ornaments, and usually when I visit a new place, I get Christmas ornaments. And--my grandparents gave me the Christmas ornaments that they had on their tree when my dad was a little boy. I think those are pretty special. Anyway...my point is: I've got quite an eclectic ornament collection. When I started looking at the ornaments, I discovered that I had less than 20 plain colored ball ornaments. Those are the fillers!
So, with all of the lights & ornaments on the tree, it still wasn't enough!
Off I went to a dollar store and Garden Ridge. I bought a ton of ornaments! Some were filler ornaments, and some are neat little trinkety ornaments. I told Gage that he could pick out any ornaments that he wants b/c at Garden Ridge they were 1/2 off, and we needed a lot more! So, it was no surprise that he picked a car ornament (jeez, I hate Nascar....but lucky me, I have a Nascar ornament on my tree!)...and then I was surprised at the other ornaments he picked. He picked half a dozen ornaments that are feathered birds with feathery tails and they clip on the branches. He loved them, so we got them. Hubby hates them...but Gage liked them, so that's what matters. I think they're neat looking....


Alas, in all it's glory....here is the Lainey-Paney Family Christmas Tree!






(nevermind the fact that the tree skirt isn't nearly big enough!)



HALLELUJAH! EVERBODY SAY "CHEESE".
"MERRY CHRISTMAS" FROM THE FAMILY.

Labels: , ,

21 Comments:

At 10:32 AM , Blogger Hester 5 said...

So...is this a real tree? Why is it white? It looks great. I didn't know you liked ornaments so much....I do too!!

 
At 10:42 AM , Blogger Lainey-Paney said...

It's a real tree...it's flocked, so it looks like it has snow on it.
Looks really cool...but what a freakin' mess!

 
At 11:04 AM , Blogger lisa said...

I have to say I just about wet my paints! Looking at the tree skirt scrolling down, scrolling down. Bwahhaahhaaaahhhhh! Totally wasn’t expecting the Robert Earl Keen reference. My husband has been playing that over and over! In fact he said we should put it on our Christmas card.

 
At 11:35 AM , Blogger shoeaddict said...

I LOVE it.

Ya'll are so cute. Gagie is my favorite :) He is the cutest little thing.

 
At 11:46 AM , Blogger Zephra said...

Damn. I needed sun glasses to look at it lit up. I freakin love it. It is so warm and inviting.

 
At 12:44 PM , Blogger Judy said...

Wow, now THAT'S a tree! Its HUGE!

 
At 1:16 PM , Blogger Rob said...

Yep, I do believe you happen to be the proud owner of the seasons most beautiful tree. Wow! It's Awesome!

 
At 1:32 PM , Blogger Phillips Family said...

Your tree is so beautiful!

 
At 5:28 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful Tree! Merry Christmas!

 
At 1:36 AM , Blogger Chris H said...

I was going to ask about the tree's colour too! So weird it being white... but... it is BEAUTIFUL!

 
At 3:08 AM , Blogger Laura said...

WOW - it is beautiful!

 
At 4:28 AM , Blogger Angel said...

messy ya, but oh so pretty. I really feel The Season once the tree goes up....and I LOVE the pic of Gage in front of the tree!!!

 
At 10:13 AM , Blogger Pregnantly Plump said...

That is a great tree! Very beautiful.

 
At 12:59 PM , Blogger Valerie said...

What a great tree! I finally remembered to add you to my google reader so sis will not have to keep me up to date on your blog anymore.

 
At 3:52 PM , Blogger Julie said...

It's beautiful!! :)

 
At 7:18 PM , Blogger Papa Bradstein said...

Beautiful! Makes ours look anemic in comparison.

 
At 6:35 AM , Blogger Heidi said...

That is a giant tree, I love the fake snow, although I thought you guys got the real deal down there recently.
Great pics.

 
At 8:13 AM , Blogger Stephanie said...

What a gorgeous tree! It is beautiful and looks great. I have always looked at those white ones and wondered how they are and if it got everywhere.

 
At 9:14 AM , Blogger Framed by Grace said...

WOW....That IS the prettiest tree I have seen!!! And I mean it! Our tree wasn't as big as we wanted and I wasn't up for a tree farm-so we just settled-oh well...maybe next year!
Love all the lights!
Merry Christmas to you guys too!

 
At 10:43 PM , Blogger Bonnie said...

That is a GORGEOUS tree! I hope you & your family have a Blessed Holiday. I fly home tomorrow - Yippie! Merry Christmas!

Bonnie

 
At 9:24 PM , Blogger Cheryl said...

Oh my goodness! Your tree is beautiful (I just looked at the post)! Every year since my kids were born, I have gotten them each an ornament and they usually pick them out. It' so much fun to put the ornaments on the tree and remember what their passions were for the last 20 some years. I have everything from Winnie the Pooh to Brett Favre Packers ornaments! So much fun!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home