Life Is Just So Daily

Friday, December 19, 2008

Did Somebody Call a Plumber?

Photobucket

So...I come home from work.... get ready to take a bath....
I'm in there.... I turn on the water....
I'm waiting...
....still waiting....
"Hey, Hubby? Can you check the pilot light? I can't get any hot water!"

....um...that's because the hot water heater is doing something...odd.
It's leaked water out the bottom in some hideously ugly yet functional pan, and it's making this I-might-be-leaking-gas sound.
That can't be good.

My first inclination: clean the house! If the fire department & gas company have to come out, our house is a mess! What will they think? They'll think that we are sloppy, lazy, unfit parents who let our kid rule the house with his insane amount of toys!

Instead, I call my dad.
He tells me to call a plumber.
Called Leslie's husband, the plumber.
Now, thanks to my hot water heater, I need a plumber.
I never really needed my own plumber before, and while I find it handy to have Leslie's husband be a plumber....I find it completely inconvenient that we even need a plumber.
Sometimes I just hate being a grown up.
Remember when we lived with our parents, and grown up problems weren't ours to deal with? When can I get THAT back?
Oh, but I still want the freedom of adulthood...
...and grown-up paychecks...
...and to be a mom...
...and have a checking account...
Okay----FINE. I'll deal with inconveniences of adulthood. But, I don't have to like it.

Oh! And the best part: found the warranty paperwork with the hot water heater b/c it was just installed 4 years ago. 11 years for free replacement...with the original receipt. We have the warranty paperwork...but no original receipt. Lucky us. And, the man who installed it & likely has or rather, HAD the original receipt---dead. He died.
....if I could just go through his belongings.....

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 8:07 PM , Blogger Zephra said...

being a grown up sucks pond water through a bent straw!

 
At 6:03 AM , Blogger Beth said...

Better now than Christmas Day but, still, ouch!
Merry Christmas - Ho Ho Ho.

 
At 10:43 PM , Blogger Chris H said...

Bummer! Hope you can get is fixed and not have to pay! We had out hot water cylinder burst in our last home.. it was upstairs... you can imagine what happended eh? It was like RAINING inside! We had to pay the full price to get it fixed too.... but got new carpet thanks to insurance! Some times is is OK to bust a cylinder!

 
At 7:23 AM , Blogger Just Jiff said...

Ugh! I feel your pain! Our thermostat went out on our heater that we've had TEN MONTHS!! We had to wait a week before the part came in and a guy came to replace it. First year on the warranty says free labor and parts...next 5 years free parts. WTF. Should be free labor too. Water heaters are NOT cheap and should be free everything for 5 years.

Hope you got your house cleaned and hot water! lol

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home