Life Is Just So Daily

Thursday, July 10, 2008

You can do it; We can help.



How cool is this car rug?

Got it at Home Depot.
Gage loves it.



So now, he's got a car rug, and a train rug. AAAAND, I found the Thomas take-along trains (thanks for the suggestions on that!) at Target. Seriously, some of those little trains were on clearance for 3-bucks & some change. SWWWWWEEEEET!

Yesterday morning:


Gage still had his stitches, and was doing his "adapted crawl", so as not to disturb his bandage or hurt his stitches!

But, yesterday he got the stitches out.
I tried to take them out at home by myself with a suture removal kit (yes, I work in a hospital!)....but, I couldn't! It was too hard, and he was not cooperative. It just was not a good plan. Take him back to Doctor's ER & pay out of network cost? I don't think so. Called the pediatrician. Well....they couldn't work me in b/c it's not an emergency, and I should have scheduled the appt. sooner than the DAY that they are due to be removed. WHATEVER. I thought I could take them out myself! Hello.
(okay....maybe that's where my ignorance starts....but oh well.)
So, I ended up bringing him up here to the ER where I work. It certainly is not the CLOSEST facility to my home, but we were in & out & didn't have to pay any out-of-network charges.

But...let's see....it took me, a tech, a nurse, and a sheet to all hold Gage down for the stitch removal. Yes, a coworker used a sheet as a baby-straight-jacket to keep Gage's arms locked down, and I draped my chest across his chest to keep him laying on the stretcher. Seriously-----getting the stitches out was just as big of an ordeal as getting them put in!
And, the nurse even had a difficult time getting to the correct place to snip these specialty stitches, so at least I wasn't totally crazy at home thinking it was kind of difficult!

After that....we headed over to Tera & Aubri's for lunch. Yummmmmmm Pizza.
Chatted with Leslie & Tera while Gage & Aubri played. Got to hold Sadie for a while. Compared to Gage, she just feels so tiny in my arms.
And, I forget how it is to have a baby that small, and when you cradle them in your arms---if they are a breastfed baby they will often start to root & try sucking. Yes, I forgot about that. Sadie started sucking on the inside of my arm, and it was funny & sweet & tickly all at the same time.
:)

Did I post about Gage's sleeping arrangements lately?

Back when he was sick....ear infections sick....he took to sleeping on his sleeping bag on his floor in his room.... Well, we have hardwood floors, and he would demand cartoons to be on...and then it really kind of got to the point that he was up & down 2 & 3 times a night, and he wouldn't take a nap....but he didn't want the crib to be taken down.

Whatever.
We've powered through.

No more TV at night. Period.
The TV goes "night-night" & needs to rest.
Gage must go "night-night", because he needs to rest too.

Sleeping bag is up off the floor. What helped us with that? The fact that Gage spilled some sticky beverage all over it & it was exiled to the laundry room.
The crib has been re-converted into the toddler bed/daybed thing. I typed "re-converted" b/c remember we tried this a while ago, put the rail back on, and now we're back to the rail being off.

He's now slept 2 nights in a row in his bed.
No cartoons.
Only woke up once, night before last, and he wanted to be rocked. I did that (which I had been missing....), and put him back in his bed. He went right back to sleep.

I really think that we have to stick with this sleeping arrangement.
The only thing......... he hasn't been taking daytime naps. That MAY have something to do with the "sleeping all night"....and as much as I've been in denial about it---it seems that my little guy is phasing out the whole nap thing...

Wish us luck for tonight!

Labels:

16 Comments:

At 1:04 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

My little brother used to have one of those carpets...I think my sisters and I played on it as much as he did!

 
At 1:40 PM , Blogger Aubs said...

Love the play rug!! My older one had one of those when he was younger and we just never have gotten one again...i'll have to keep that in mind when we make our big move!

Best of luck on the sleeping tonight...i'm NOT looking forward to when brayden stops naps! I'm sure Gage will do fine...what a BIG boy!! =)

 
At 1:54 PM , Blogger Marni's Organized Mess said...

Yay for you and Good Luck!

 
At 2:55 PM , Blogger Chris H said...

Glad you got the stitches out eventually!

 
At 3:24 PM , Blogger Judy said...

Wow - no nap! I milk that naptime for all it is worth - Travis took one until kindergarten (and then he did occasionally on the weekends) and I'm hoping Tyler will do the same - he's more of a sleeper than Travis EVER was, LOL.

 
At 4:46 PM , Blogger Love said...

hey girl...just caught up with you because i've been in the hospital...again. =(

anyway...poor gage with those stitches. =( and i hate that whole sheet thing...we have to do it to kids all the time on the peds unit and i always choose to be by their face so i can sing to them or something. it doesn't usually seem to make a difference, but i hate them being so scared!

glad you're taking gage to a peds cardiologist...i totally know what you mean about not wanting to be that mom that checked it out.

and thank you for your sweet post about riley. i've never "met" you and i think of riley so often. thanks for sharing so honestly.

okay--i'm sure there's more, but that's all i can remember. great to catch up with you. =)

 
At 6:18 PM , Blogger Pregnantly Plump said...

That rug looks so cool!! Very fun. Hope the sleeping through the night in the big bed continues to go well!

 
At 6:24 AM , Blogger Zephra said...

Yep. It is almost like something had died when they quit napping. I miss those days.

On a side note, logging out of account ad then back in fixed the red boxes...for a day. Now they are back. I tried logging out a million different ways and nothing. Any other ideas?

 
At 4:32 PM , Blogger Mighty Morphin' Mama said...

Stitches are such an ordeal! Jude still freaks out any time he is bleeding because he is afraid he has to get stitches again.
Glad he is sleeping in his bed, none of mine would nap after they left the confines of their beds, unfortunately.
I pray that the appointment with the pedes cardiologist goes well and that he gets the all clear. What a worry for you guys, good that you are so pro-active about it.
take care,
Kristen

 
At 7:22 PM , Blogger Phillips Family said...

Thanks for your comments on my blog...I have surfed through yours and am cracking up!

I love the Home Depot car mat. I am tempted to hunt one down tomorrow for my little boy (and my husband)

 
At 11:16 PM , Blogger Barrie said...

Congrats on getting the sleeping arrangements under control. I wasn't able to see the pictures, btw. Maybe because I have a mac?

 
At 6:34 AM , Blogger Beth said...

The end of naps is a sad time for Moms. I ended up getting all my guys to have a quiet time (with lots of books) in their rooms for at least half an hour. I needed that break!

 
At 12:32 PM , Blogger Stephanie said...

Those are fun looking rugs! YAY! No nap huh? Wow, that is good. We can't do that with Seth or the evening is just hard because he gets cranky.

 
At 3:49 PM , Blogger Ann(ie) said...

I love me that rug!!! SO much. Must get it for Ben!!

 
At 5:17 PM , Blogger Laura said...

awesome play rug.

Hope the little man is all healed up - how crazy re the stiches.

Cheers!

 
At 5:17 PM , Blogger Laura said...

awesome play rug.

Hope the little man is all healed up - how crazy re the stiches.

Cheers!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home