Life Is Just So Daily

Friday, July 04, 2008

July 1st Sucked.

Okay...maybe it didn't ALL suck....but parts of it certainly sucked in my world.
And Gage's world!

Let me start by saying: 7/1/8 was a Tuesday. We had Aubri's birthday party at 6pm. So, I spent the morning hours cleaning, entertaining & tending to the demands of a toddler, and more cleaning b/c you know---toddlers are messy.

So...as naptime is approaching, I think to myself----"you know, self, we really need to go to the post office to buy stamps before nap time actually rolls around & you miss the opportunity to get this done today...."
So...I'm looking horrible in this...black-knit-dress that I only wear around the house, flip-flops, and the world is lucky I put on a bra before walking out.
Gage---oh, he's filthy from head to toe. Seriously---the kid was like a shade of gray.
He looked like "Pig-Pen" from Charlie Brown.
But-----I took him out looking like a a little beastie-baby b/c the party was at 6, and I wanted to give him a bath right before the party.

So, we were going to just quickly head up to the Post Office, return home, and Gage was going to take a nap. After that, up & in the tub, then off to Aubri's birthday party.

Instead, we spent HOURS in the ER because Gage needed stitches, I almost gave my car away to a total stranger who was not a Valet attendant, I didn't eat ANY food at all that day until the evening hours, and the memory card on my digital camera got all screwed up & erased some of the best pictures EVAH!

Story: Gage fell & busted his leg open. He had to get 6 stitches inside the cut that will dissolve, and 2 stitches on the outer layer of his skin that hold the cut closed. He gets daily dressing changes each evening.
We were in the post office parking lot when he slipped in the floor-board of my car, splitting his leg open on the metal track that the driver seat is affixed to. Blood went everywhere. I popped open a Pull-Up & put on his leg to stop the bleeding, but that wasn't working. There was a carload of old people that had just parked next to us. One little old man stayed behind while his friends all went into the post office. So, I asked him for kleenex or paper towels. Old people always have kleenex or paper towels in their cars. It's probably b/c they are smarter than me, and they know that junk like this happens! Anyway---he gives me paper towels, and we drive straight away to Doctor's Hospital. Get there, and I see signs for the ER, but once I turn & I'm down in the thick of the buildings---I can't find the ER to save my life. So, what do I do---I see a man standing by a valet stand & ask him how to get to the ER. He doesn't know. So, I throw it in park, take out my key, hand him my key, and I get Gage out of the car. By now, the paper towels are soaked through. I'm trying to carry him, my purse, the diaper bag, his blankie, and the bottle (no, I didn't use his blankie to apply pressure & stop the bleeding b/c it's made of yarn, and I didn't want all those crinkly tiny threads stuck in his cut!) We leave a trail of blood spots through the hallways on our way to the ER....and a total stranger offered to help me get Gage to the ER. She said that she had a grandson about Gage's age. So what do I do? I hand over my purse & diaper bag to this stranger.

Tally:
I've given the keys to my car to a stranger.
I've handed my purse over to a stranger.

Luckily----the man near the Valet Attendant stand gave my keys to the Valet.
Luckily----the woman who carried my purse & diaper bag didn't take off running with my stuff!

In the end, we were d/c'd home in time to get cleaned up before Aubri's party.
Got Gage cleaned & dressed.
Hubby wanted to turn on the sprinklers before we went across the street to the birthday party.
Well....wouldn't you freakin' know it: Gage fell AGAIN! Right on the stitches!!!! So of course, it started bleeding again!
But---he's doing fine. Doesn't seem like he damaged anything any further. I was initially concerned that maybe he busted the sutures, but the whole thing really is healing nicely so far.

Then, we went to Aubri's Birthday party. She's TWO! I can hardly believe it.
I took some great pics, and then bowed to the Toddler-Master when he wanted to play with my camera. NEVER AGAIN. Within minutes, the camera was making this hideous sound & trying to reformat the memory card. Um....apparently you can't reformat the card unless you erase all of the data on there. Or that's what the prompts on the camera were telling me.
I had some really awesome pics on there! So, I tried uploading directly through the laptop. No-go. Printer? Nope. Walgreen's picture machine? Didn't work there either.
It's sitting on the media cabinet at home. I refuse to personally select "yes, erase these pictures."
If anyone knows how to get to these pics, let me know!!!!!!!!!!!!

The evening ended very well.
Lots of laughs. Good time with friends. Food in my belly after a VERY long day....
:)

I'll post some of the party pics when (1) Leslie shares hers with me! (Snapfish, Leslie, Snapfish!!!! hint,hint), and (2) I get the pics uploaded from the non-broken memory card!

Labels: ,

22 Comments:

At 1:11 PM , Blogger Zephra said...

OMG. When he does something, he does it all the way. Thank God for honest people. Kiss his Boo boo for me.

 
At 1:59 PM , Blogger Judy said...

Yikes! I'm so sorry your Tuesday was such a pittish day (as in The Pits!). Hopefully this weekend is shaping up to be a bit better for you!

 
At 2:02 PM , Blogger Mandy said...

Uh oh, sorry to hear your week had such a rough start! Glad Gage is doing okay, hopefully you're 4th goes better!

 
At 2:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a preview of my life with twin boys isn't it?!?!!?!

I am glad Gage is okay!

 
At 5:50 PM , Blogger Christy said...

Oh no! That stinks! Poor baby Gage and poor mama!

 
At 6:13 PM , Blogger Pregnantly Plump said...

Poor Gage! That sounds so scary! I'm glad you met some very kind and honest strangers.

 
At 11:40 PM , Blogger Ann(ie) said...

OH honey!! my lawd what a day! I think you did pretty well under the crazy circumstances. Ben took a header into a curb the other day and I had a meltdown over that I think I would have been a trainwreck if that were me. I'm impressed you guys still went to the party. IT was probably a great idea so mama could get some food in her belly, hopefully a libation and a laugh or two. xoxo. Happy 4th!

 
At 12:06 AM , Blogger Aubs said...

Poor Gage and poor you! I'm glad your day ended better than it started and that you were blessed to find out there are good people in this world in the form of strangers willing to help! Hope Gage's boo boo is all better soon!

 
At 12:27 AM , Blogger Chris H said...

HORRORS!!! Thank godness everything turned out alright except for the camera! I don't think I have any memories of July 1st ! apart from pain...... derrrrr!

 
At 12:32 AM , Blogger Mummy M said...

Oh bless him. Sound like you were both very brave! I'm not good with blodd but I guess in those situations your maternal instinct just takes over.

Hugs to you both,

Kx

 
At 7:00 AM , Blogger zirelda said...

Poor Gage! And what a day for you. Thank heavens for all of the decent people still around.

 
At 7:42 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will upload them soon, I figured you got your card to work at Walgreens! I'll do it soon, promise :)

 
At 10:02 AM , Blogger lisa said...

You are way better than me! I would have given up and decided to stay at home. You are both troopers! I hope everything is better now and that July starts to look up!

 
At 11:12 AM , Blogger Kate said...

Oh my gosh! What a day. I'm glad everything turned out well in the end. And that everyone was so kind and honest.

 
At 7:18 PM , Blogger S said...

I hope it goes better for you and Gage gets better!

 
At 1:57 PM , Blogger shoeaddict said...

Oh goodness. I am so sorry to hear that. I'm glad all is well now. Poor Gagie.

 
At 3:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my. I hope it heals quickly!

Stitches? Ugh! My boys have had staples to close wounds, several times, but no stitches.

Don't have any helpful advice about your pictures, sorry. I would probably ask some folks in the photo departments at stores (the ones who really know what they are doing).

 
At 7:19 AM , Blogger Stephanie said...

Dang girl, that is a rough day for sure. I hope Gage is doing better...poor little guy.

 
At 8:35 AM , Blogger Lindsay, Tony, and Madison said...

Aww, poor Gage! I hope you figure out a way to get those pictures off your memory card!! I don't know what I would do if that happened to me!!

 
At 8:48 AM , Blogger kimmy said...

Thank goodness there are nice people in this world. I am glad that Gage is feeling better!

Kimmy

 
At 9:06 AM , Blogger Aunt Becky said...

Poor ickle dude. Kids are so freaking resilient, aren't they?

 
At 2:13 PM , Blogger angie said...

Poor Gage! Sounds like everything worked out ok for you and at least you ran into some nice people that helped you out and didn't steal your car and purse haha!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home