Life Is Just So Daily

Monday, November 19, 2007

"Keep Out of the Reach of Children"

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Parents of the world, hear my warning.
Clearly we've tested this warning many a time at the Casa de Lainey-Paney, and today is no exception.
Let's venture back...we've tasted Vicks liquid vapor stuff that goes w/ the humidifier... we've taken a bite out of deoderant.... and today---today we packed our nostrils FULL of:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Yes, that's right.
What started out as a strip/block of styrofoam packing material, was grated into living room snow. And this morning, while I was ironing my pants for work, Little-Mister-Get-My-Way decided that he'd like to see just how many pieces of styrofoam he could jam up his nose. I think the # is about 9. That's because one piece in his right nostril (the first to go in & last to come out) was huge---about the size of my fingernail.
I was able to successfully remove all of the pieces with my fingers or tweezers. While he was screaming, crying, & thrashing, of course. The last piece....Oh, the last piece. If you look up your child's nose you will see that at one point it seems to narrow, but beyond that the cavity seems to widen again. The tip of the final piece of styrofoam was just beyond the narrowing. I could not get it. We tried w/ fingers, with a q-tip (but I was afraid that would push it up further), we tried w/ tweezers...we tried Little Noses & the boogie-sucky thing. We EVEN tried getting him to smell pepper & hopefully sneeze it out. No such luck. We tried getting him to "blow", but he's not great at blowing his nose....or so we thought. Ultimately, when we were discussing Gage going to the doctor, he blew his nose so hard, that the final piece flew out like a wet, slimy, rocket!


So, like I said, parents: we learned the hard way.
When they say, "keep out of the reach of children"...I'm certain that it is because they KNOW that some child somewhere will either eat it or shove it up their nose.

Labels:

12 Comments:

At 11:01 AM , Blogger Jen said...

EWw! At least it wasn't dog poop!! (If you read my most recent post you will see what I mean)

But still- I FEEL YA. I remember one time when my sister and I were dropped at a birthday party of one of my father's colleague's children and we didn't know ANYONE. My sister immediately proceeded to SHOVE a NAPKIN (a LOT of it- anyways) up her nose. This resulted in several mothers (women that my sister did NOT know- so was therefore VERY suspicious of) to hold her down and try to get it out. OMG the most horrifying/embarrassing/traumatizing birthday party EVER.

What was my dad THINKING just dropping us off?! Jerk.

 
At 6:07 PM , Blogger Pregnantly Plump said...

Seriously? I did that too! Gage is not alone, although I was a bit younger and my parents had no idea that I had shoved anything up my nose. I just became really stinky and no one would hold me. They kept checking my diaper, and couldn't find anything. Finally my dad happened to glance up my nose and saw styrofoam.

 
At 6:15 PM , Blogger Christy said...

Oddly enough, I have heard many parents tell this same story of woe. I guess little kids really like sticking Styrofoam up their noses.

 
At 6:24 PM , Blogger Beth said...

You have to give the little guy credit - he has a great sense of curiosity and follows through...

Beware of bottles that say, "child proof cap/lid." They are not all child proof and I'll bet Gage is one of those kids who can figure that out!

 
At 7:08 PM , Blogger ~ Jolene said...

Hi there! Thanks for stopping by my blog! Oh gosh...the adventures in parenting huh? I don't have any kids yet but it seems as though you handled this one quiet nicely. I would have FREAKED out if my baby got something stuck in their nostril. I look forward to reading...

 
At 8:03 PM , Blogger Valley Girl said...

Woah. This post reminds me of the time my little brother managed to stuff a marble up his nose. =(

 
At 9:12 PM , Blogger Mojavi said...

when I was 10 my then 3 yr old sister watched me put an eraser that fits on the end of a pencil up my nose and blow it out... well guess what she did! She shoved it up her nose so far she had to be taken to the emergency room to have it removed! yup.... i still feel bad about that one!

Maybe after this he will stop doing that :) buuuuut prob not :)

 
At 7:12 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG! Terrifying thank God you got it all out. Oh baby Gage must have scared you so much!

 
At 7:43 AM , Blogger zirelda said...

OMG! I am so happy Rach never pulled that one.

 
At 10:30 AM , Blogger Zephra said...

I can't tell you the number of things I had to fish out of Kamran's nose. The Tic-Tacs were the worse by far...

 
At 10:08 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG, this was just what I needed today. Hilarious when it's not my child LOL :-)

 
At 1:43 PM , Blogger Maria said...

Well...yeah. Isn't it amazing how they can take some totally benign thing and turn it into a big scary problem?

Liv once stuck a lifesaver up her nose. She found it in the car when she was a toddler and knew that I probably wouldn't let her have it (choking hazard), so she calmly stuck it up her nose to save for later I suppose.....

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home