Life Is Just So Daily

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Roseola.

He has Roseola.

I knew it last night when the rash popped up on his belly, chest, and back. Poor buddy.

So...we had our 2 yr check up this morning. Roseola diagnosis confirmed. Not with a blood test or anything, but the symptoms are text book for the diagnosis & Dr.W said that he agreed that the rash looked like the roseola rash...so there you go.
He's 90% on his height, 60% on his weight for his age....but, he's "underweight" according to his height. I was told not to worry about it---and I'm not. He's a 2 year old, typically picky about food....but he eats what he wants & needs...so there. He hates the Pediasure, so I told the dr that I don't intend to keep offering him a Pediasure per day b/c the stuff is too expensive to watch him refuse it, and me pour it down the drain.

Got his flu shot today....they were out of the flu mist.

And...we're not due to return for 1 year...which is great. It gives me time to Pediatrician shop. But, I tell you---I hate office staff there, but then we go in, and Dr.W is so attentive, and good with Gage. The DOCTOR is not the problem---it's his freaking staff. Today was wonderful there, and just as it should be. But I just hate the office people. So...shall I write a letter? Are my expectations just too high? I don't know. I requested two copies of Gage's immunization records prior to leaving. But, how do I pediatrician shop when my kiddo is not due to be seen for a year? [feel free to leave advice on this one....]

Anyway....I also brought up the fact that someone recently mentioned that he has some autistic-like behaviors & we discussed this. In my heart I don't believe my child is autistic. I think his fits are triggered by strong emotions & frustrations that he can't always adequately express himself, or even worse: he can express his wants, but he loses the battle of will when he has to do things he does not want to do. I also think that he's in that phase of being shy....sometimes. For example: while at Mema's house, he was playing & doing beautifully with Nora & other children. Take him to the play area at the mall, and he will NOT interact with the other children. I have to get down there & play with him. At his birthday party, he was super clingy but played with Mario, Allen, Trystan, & Garrett very well. Other kids....not so much. But...he DOES interact with others.

Anyway....we just discussed it because it was recently brought up. Something was mentioned about Jenny McCarthy & her son, and all the media coverage, etc. The pediatrician said something to the effect of: "oh, well, isn't she an authority? She put herself on the map by taking her clothes off...then she got pregnant, but millions of other women do that. Then she has an autistic child, but there are millions of other women that have done that before her. The only good thing about her is that she is raising awareness. It still doesn't make her an expert."
Oh, it was classic.

...anywho. We're home now. We stopped at the store on the way home & got 2 "donts" (that's the way Gage says 'donuts') & 4 "suckies". So far, he & I are both sticky, covered in orange tootsie-pop, and I am covered in his stickers from the dr's office. He preferred to decorate Mommy instead of wearing the stickers himself.
Silly-Nilly-Willy-Boy.

Labels:

18 Comments:

At 9:57 AM , Blogger Heidi said...

Poor Gage, I hope he feels better really soon.
T went through a very shy stage between the ages of 2 1/2 and 3 1/2. He had trouble with groups of people mostly. He was very clingy at times and wouldn't even look at people when they spoke to him. I was worried but he outgrew it over the summer and isn't shy at all anymore. I remember one time visiting a doctor(moron) for a cough and the moron telling me that there is "something wrong with your child because he is having such a horrible tantrum" he even asked me if he had ever been "traumatized by a stethascope?" What? He is 2, you moron, I wanted to say. I immediately switched to a new doctor a GP who was recommended by a friend, and I love her.

 
At 10:21 AM , Blogger Pregnantly Plump said...

I completely understand what you mean about office staff. My OB-GYN's office staff is like that. They snap and yell at you, and put you on hold for minutes at a time, and then when they finally got back to you, they were mad at you for waiting patiently. The doctors were great though. I knew that I wouldn't have to deal with them too much after the delivery, so I stuck it out, but I think it's different with the pediatrician. We lucked out with ours -- the staff and the doctors are all really great. I wish I had a recommendation for you. Writing a letter sounds like a good idea, but then you might get even worse treatment.
I am going to have to look up roseola, but I'm glad you know what is wrong.

 
At 11:11 AM , Blogger S said...

Not sure about the DR switch. Can you call around and see what other offices recommend? My .02 here but if the DR is great w/Gage, deal w/the office staff. I know it sucks. Go by who Gage has to interact with and make your decision by that.

As for Gage being shy and tempermental - K has his moments. He requires (!!!) at least 15-20 minute warm up time when we go some where w/people he hasn't met or seen in a long time. He's sociable, but he wants to "figure" people out first.

 
At 11:48 AM , Blogger Zephra said...

Sounds like a typical kid to me. Zakary does not choose to interact too much either. He is too shy. If something was there to worry about, your mom alarms would be going off. We really need to get together...

 
At 1:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

My daughter had roseola during her first year, so I feel your pain and Gage's. I hope he feels better soon! If you like your doctor, I would mention something about the staff. The doctor is the important thing in the end. Then again, there are plenty of really good doctors out there as well.

Good luck! (I know I am no help whatsoever!)

 
At 3:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

When we decided to switch doctors for the boys, it was about 7 months before they were due to be seen for their annual checkups. They scheduled us for a "get to know you" visit, which included meeting the doctor, letting him talk to the boys, and height, weight, and a general once-over. It took about 15 minutes for both boys, and we weren't charged for it. They recommended we do it this way so if someone was ill we wouldn't be seeing a new doctor who didn't know the kids.

Also, when you make the switch you should send a letter to the old office just to let the doctor know your reasons for leaving. He'd probably appreciate knowing that his staff is running people off!

 
At 4:30 PM , Blogger shoeaddict said...

I would talk to the doc about your problems with his staff.

I had roseola as a child.

 
At 5:07 PM , Blogger Terroni said...

I'm sorry, I've got no pediatrician shopping advice. I try to refrain from giving any advice to parents because I'm not one. I think that people who do so are only tempting the universe to someday give them impossibly difficult children ;>

As far as Jenny McCarthy goes, though, I have heard that parents are now refusing to vaccinate their kids because of her book...that's a little scary. And, the autism community is pretty pissed that she referred to kids with autism as "soulless." But, at least people are talking about autism, right?

 
At 6:35 PM , Blogger Lainey-Paney said...

Terroni: the pediatrician today was saying that the dr who originally published studies about autism being related to vaccinations ultimately had his license to practice medicine pulled & it was proven & he later admitted to fabricating his results.

hmmmmmmmm....

 
At 8:01 PM , Blogger Elaine said...

he's pretty young for people to be suggesting he's somewhere on the spectrum! i worked at a pre-school last year and, trust me, most toddlers were shy and refused to interact at some point during each week. i wouldn't worry too much, and it seems like you're pretty level headed!

hope he feels better really soon!

 
At 4:54 AM , Blogger Maria said...

Ah..hope his rash gets better soon.

Once, when I was just exhausted from Liv getting all her energy by draining it directly out of me, I gave her the barrette bowl and let her put barrettes all over my head. Then we had lunch and to entertain her, I put a chiquita banana sticker on my forehead. I put her down for a nap shortly after and the doorbell rang. I answered it and took the package from a very flustered looking UPS guy who looked like he was trying not to LAUGH at me.

After I got inside, I checked myself out in the mirror. I had forgotten that my hair was covered in hello kitty, etc barrettes and that I had the sticker on my forehead.

Raising children is not for the weak.

 
At 6:52 AM , Blogger kat said...

Poor Gage, hope he gets better soon. I would also say next time you're there talk to the doctor about his staff. He won't like to hear that his staff is driving his patients away but at least the ball is in his court then to make a change about that.

 
At 7:40 AM , Blogger Elle said...

Get well soon Gage (HUGS)

 
At 8:00 AM , Blogger Beth said...

What a relief to finally have the roseola diagnosis.
As to autism symptoms? While it's good that you mentioned it to the doctor, don't take everything other people say about your child to heart. Kids are all different.
My FIL once suggested my eldest should see a psychiatrist. I was a new mom and hearing that actually scared me. My son was two years old and very active. He was NORMAL - and still is. (And, no, I did not take him to see a psychiatrist.)

 
At 9:17 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, Roseola. Wonderful, isn't it?

I am so tired of people telling mother's that their children exhibit autistic like behaviors. No one wants to be told that and all it does is completely unnecessarily worry us and for no good reason because 9 times out of 10 they are completely off base.

 
At 1:13 PM , Blogger Em said...

Poor little man, i had to google Roseola never heard of it before and i have no idea what pediasure is.

Its strange when you all talk on your blogs about moving doc's etc, it so different from us!

He sound like a typical little boy to me whos just learning his way in life

 
At 11:24 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

my son had roseola at 13 months old, he had his shot during the illness, he seemed different after that, when I voiced my concerns I was told to give him time to get over his roseola, that it was alot for his little body, fast forward to today, he is 6 has autism, he is recovering, but it's been a long journey, don't stay in denial, pay attention to the signs, and be your child's advocate, I don't mean to alarm you, I wish someone had told me to have him evaluated it took 2 years before anyone wanted to give me a diagnosis for him. I started working with a naturopath before that, thank god. Remember early intervention is the only proven method to reach and recover our children
mc

 
At 9:15 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

My son has had Roseola 4 times and he is 29 months old. He also has Autism and the problems did not start until the first Roseola infection (BEFORE the MMR). There is a lot of research linking Autism to auto-immune disorders and viral infections. If you haven't done so already, go see a DAN! doctor to get allergy and immune system testing done and get some natural supplements to help force out the viruses. My son's doctor does not think it has anything to do with it but we feel very strongly that it does.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home